PDA

View Full Version : Sabiki's?

bonitoboy
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a sabiki rig and have used one for a few years. However, I only seem to pull up macks and senoritas. I want to catch some sardines or anchovy. I can see them in the water but cannot seem to catch. Can someone give me some tips on what bait I should use? I usually use squid, but I think this usually attracts the macks. Someone told me-no bait just chum a mixture of rolled oats and canned tuna fish, and the anchove and sardines will hook themselves on the tiny hooks. Anybody else have a technique to catch anchovies and sardines? Much appreciated.

BIGRED KILLA
08-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I like to tip the ends with small pieces of squid on a small sabiki and cut the tenicals of the squid and cut small pices of squid and chum them up can cat food works good mix every thing small with sent they go crazy for it.I like to use smelt if you cant catch any other bait fish or maybe some mini Macs good luck remember halibut love smelt and small macs try a different spot if thats all your catching are macs.

Bigred

Mr Bendo
08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
If you got the sabiki's with the green beads they don't work that good for sardines!!!!! If you do, there are two types; one with soft beads and the other hard. Soft ones cut them in the center with knife the same way the line lays. The hard ones just crack off with pliers!!!! Another thing I noticed is they like the plain hooks jigged up and down, so don't put bait on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That attracts smelt and macs usually not dines, chovy's and herring! Depth is very important also. Smelt is usually on top. Sardines are below the smelt to mid depth like Macs! Herring or Queen fish is toward the bottom!!! Watch the tides also Bait fish move in and out through out the day so one minute you got dines and the next they are gone!! Move around on the pier to locate as well. One last little trick is to use a 1oz chrome torpedo with a split ring and a treble hook at the bottom it might catch you a few surprise's!!!!!!!!

rcfb73
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
^^^ he beat me to it..haha... the chrome torpedo trick works well...one time i was bouncin the bottom for herring and pulled up a shorty halibut..never know what your gonna get!

dodgerfan
08-13-2008, 05:55 AM
i agree with bigred he definitely knows how to catch bait and i agree 100%. ive relied on him plenty of times....

bonitoboy
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the tips. Why are the beads bad in the sabiki? I usually fish in King Harbor. If I am correct:

1. chum with cat food or equivalent
2. If anchovy or sardines, run unbaited sabiki through the bait ball that forms, continue using small squid for macks, and run stinger if possible for the weight.

Poxy Boggards
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I use a small hook sabiki, with number 14 hooks or smaller. I tip the hooks with small bits of cut shrimp, as small as you can get them. Works every time!

Billy Bass
08-13-2008, 05:39 PM
If you want the sardines try a Lucky Lura. They go 5150 over them. M ust be the white color.