PDA

View Full Version : Late report 8-8-08 425, 302, 371 Dodos, Yellows and Chickens

DavidE
08-11-2008, 08:03 AM
I poached Tim's report. So here it is ....

Fished Friday 8-8-08 with Brian, David and Scott. Was a GREAT day on the water, but different from last week.

Left Shelter Island at 4AM planning to go to Hidden Banks, then work the outside back home. Bait quality was below average. Lots of rollers.

Weather started out nice to where we could push 22 knots out to 425. Trolled a bit there, but there was no real sign. And very few paddies. In fact, we only found a group 3 small ones within 10 miles of there. Good news... they were holding a few Yellowtail.. but just a few. After that.. couldn't find a paddy in the area at all. 68.6 degree water.

Headed towards Hidden Banks. Got about half way there and the wind chop and swell came up to the point that we could only do 7 or 8 knots.. which jpretty much did in our ability to run the course we wanted and still get back Friday night. Oh well! Turned to the west, which as even a worse slog. 7 knots max.

Nice temp break around the 20W line 68.6 to around 70.4 Still no sign. 2 little paddies in the area were barren. On our route we passed by a charter boat (which we'll leave unamed) Just passing by about a quarter mile a way, and this guy gets on the radio and starts telling us we're stalking him. Offering to give us a "fish" if we'll go away. He was obviously up in his wheel house trying to impress somebody with what a macho skipper he was.. out there scratching in an area, on a well known bank, and accusing us of following him to get his fish.. WHICH HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE, and while we're clearly just trolling over a well known bank! Dufas!

Anyway, finally hit a paddy that wes loaded at 07/35. Nice grade of Yellows, including a couple of hogs that we farmed (course they're always bigger when you lose them) The fish sunk out after about 40 minutes, but not before we had picked up about 10 tails and a couple of small dodos.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/106410d1218305700-8-8-08-good-pick-not-wide-open-catch2.jpg

Left there in still crappy conditions and trollwed over the knoll at 09/37. Got a double jig strike on some chickens at about 9 and 12 lbs each. Boxed the area for nothing. Hit another paddy there for nothing. Headed to North past West side of 371, which was pretty much dead. Heard some reports of a decent late Albie bite just South of the high spot on the 302 at 25/35. Couple of boats had some doubles and triples of nice grade 25 to 35 lb fish. Ended the day with another 25-30 Albie. Also trolled a big porpoise school with nothing on them.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/106408d1218305700-8-8-08-good-pick-not-wide-open-brian-fish.jpg

Ended the day with around 20 fish. Not a bad day on the water, but alot different that the epic conditions of last week.

Good fishing with you Brian, David and Scott! Let's do it again soon!

Tim on SuzyQ

chris
08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
nice fish. lots of blood

ironshrimp
08-11-2008, 08:41 AM
great report...gotta love that font...

looks like it's finally starting to break open out there.

I'm still formulating the lame excuse I'm gonna have to formulate for the wife...in order to get out there on get onto some fish

4g63power
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
you weren't bsing when you told me you guys killed it..this is making me sick now..can't wait till this weekend bro

deanhall32
08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Yimmy.

You got the same feelin I got about this weekend? Gonna be good!
!

one_leg
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey David, great report.....er...um Great Plagarism.......j/k

O_L

deanhall32
08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Gonna see a repeat this weekend!!!!

pineapple express
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Gonna see a repeat this weekend!!!!

wait just a minute deanhall32... i've made the mistake of saying stuff like this
& have had the worst trips ever. don't jinx our trip just yet bro...!!! we hope
to have a nice day like DavidE did. hopefully we get to use our coolers
& fill them with some fillets... gotta be wishful & not so sure we are going to slay them.
shew..... i hope the fish gods will be kind to us anyways ><> tight lines bruddah...!!!
see y'all this weekend ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

you weren't bsing when you told me you guys killed it..this is making me sick now..can't wait till this weekend bro
dude i'm jones N big time. i can't wait either... don't forget the wasabi just in case...hahaha.

wtg DavidE looks like a fun trip indeed. i hope we do ok ourselves this weekend.
fingers crossed...!!! loved your report. now... 1/4 mile should be enough space.
few weekends ago we had 2 pb come with-in 30 yds of our stern-chum line...
now that's too close. pretty much shut down our action besides the sea dogs
bugging too. me & my buddy were po'd after working that spot all night for nada.
mahaloz fo sharing bruddah...!

deanhall32
08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Aw heck- the fishing is gonna suck this weekend!!

4g63power
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
i'm right with you danny..wasabi is ready haha