PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Lakes/Bridgeport Area 8-1 to 8-7

daveinhb
08-10-2008, 09:53 AM
The World Famous Alpers Posse International Fishing Club just returned from a week in the Bridgeport Area. Fishing, as usual when we are present, is great for our crew. Limits were in hand at Big and Little Virginia Lakes, Trumbull Lake, and Upper Twin Lake. We also hiked to some Higher Altitude Lakes, and spent time with the local wildlife. Here are a few pics, including a pic of the biggest fish of the trip, a 5.1oz Alpers from Upper Twin. We caught fish with all lures and baits, save the dreaded Berkeley Products, and laughed as we carried our stringers past the hordes of fishless power bait dunkers. The old saying "90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman" held true once again.

Little Virginia Lake - poor, too crowded.
Big Virginia - Excellent limits aplenty
Trumbull - Excellent limits aplenty
Creeks - Water level too low.
Upper Twin - Limits aplenty and Alpers, too!

www.alpersposse.com

supasportkid
08-10-2008, 11:32 AM
nice report, great job on the fish. i love that hike above virginia lake. those upper lakes are beautiful with not that much fishing pressure on them. was that bear at one of the upper lakes??

Troutman65
08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Nice job on that alper and sweet looking little brook trout.

diamondbear
08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
GREAT REPORT , The bear on the rock is way cool .

Robert trout hunter
08-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Nicceeeee!! how was the ghost town ? worth it?

fishing_addict
08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Dave, did you happen to check out the water level on Robinson Creek? Was it low as well......?

steve092
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice job on that alper!

daveinhb
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Dave, did you happen to check out the water level on Robinson Creek? Was it low as well......?

Robinson looked fine.......lower twin was kinda low so they are releasing down the creek.

Bodie is a facinating place and is always a must to visit when in the area. Take the Stamp Mill Tour, well worth it.

sky
08-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Deleted: Outdated info

daveinhb
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Where was this photo taken?

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=6289&d=1218388028

sky

Thats Bodie, and if you havent been you MUST go.

http://www.bodie.com/

diamondbear
08-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Bodie , a place to visit for sure . The history of the town in its time was a tough place to live .

Badfish2
08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
what's weird is I think I easily caught 30+ fish in very short time at Little Virginia crowds and all, and caught only 2 at big virginia with almost nobody there...all this just a few days after you were there.

Good report. I'm headed back in a few weeks to peep it out again

sky
08-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Deleted: Outdated info

daveinhb
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I have driven right past the turnoff for Brodie off of I-395 a zillion times (ok not a zillion).

I really like going to places like this and doing some exploring...

Thank you Daveinhb for sharing. It's only 12 miles off of I-395. How bad is the last 3 miles of dirt road? Is it the kind of grating where your teeth chatter and your kidneys get all shook up?

sky

Its a little bit rutted, but this year seemed better than years past. Not like the Laurel lakes road or anything.

Rubble
08-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I can't believe those cars are still there........

I 1st saw them 30yrs ago and they were pretty rusted then.....
And to think they're covered in snow darned near 1/2 the year...

By the way.....the Cemetery is really cool.......,when I was a young'n,I took a square-pegged nail out of a post surrounding a Gravesite.......
Later on I read about a Curse surrounding anyone taking objects from the Bodie site.........
I have since returned that Nail..... :Wink:..... :ROFL:

daveinhb
08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I can't believe those cars are still there........

I 1st saw them 30yrs ago and they were pretty rusted then.....
And to think they're covered in snow darned near 1/2 the year...

By the way.....the Cemetery is really cool.......,when I was a young'n,I took a square-pegged nail out of a post surrounding a Gravesite.......
Later on I read about a Curse surrounding anyone taking objects from the Bodie site.........
I have since returned that Nail..... :Wink:..... :ROFL:

A few years ago, one of the newbie kids with us took a nail. We had 2x flat tires and a blown AC compressor on that trip. The nail went back the next year.

Badfish2
08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
They have the same curse in Hawaii about lava rocks.

Bronzeback
08-24-2008, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=sky;229026]I have driven right past the turnoff for Brodie off of I-395 a zillion times (ok not a zillion).

I really like going to places like this and doing some exploring...

Thank you Daveinhb for sharing. It's only 12 miles off of I-395. How bad is the last 3 miles of dirt road? Is it the kind of grating where your teeth chatter and your kidneys get all shook up?

sky[/QUOTE

A must see. See my pics in photo tread (Bodie Ghost Town). Dave.