PDA

View Full Version : Week of vacation=Week of fishing!!!!

familyguy15
08-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Well this report isnt for any one day really, its more for the week, how the fishing was as a whole. To many fish caught and to many days would mean I would be writing many many reports. Before I began though I would like to mention a few things. Since I started fishing saltwater/surf, I have not fished freshwater at all, not even once, and Ill tell you why! Fishing the salt is really the only place you can catch a variety of fish in one place. For example, you want to fish for muskie/pike, you have to fish the waters of Minnesota and the states around there. Yes yes you can find those fish elsewhere, but come on those are prime waters for those fish. You want steelhead/salmon, going to have to hit the great Columbia river in Washington/Oregon. Im from Washington, and the Columbia is a great place for those fish. And YES, you can find them elsewhere to, but you kind of see where Im going with this? Wonder why Im rambling on about this, Ill tell you here in a second. Next I would like to thank the people that fish saltwater/surf (57, Wingnut/Wingnut Pug, etc you know who you are. Not just for fishing it, but posting good information for new people like me to read and learn from. Well like I said earlier, this report is for the whole week, to many days and too many fish. I fished the jetty at Del Mar beach on Camp Pendleton. Since the beach is literally 5 min away from my house and being stationed aboard Pendlton, it works out very nicely. I was really excited to start fishing surf fishing. I did my homework and went out and bought kroc spoons, couldt find an LC's go figure but bought a couple rapalas that looked similar yada yada. Bought I could not catch a single fish. I was quiet disappointed being that I had spent money and wasnt able to catch fish. SO, I decided to stick to my roots and play the bait and wait game. WOW did it ever pay off. I started throwing squid. Ended up getting some shovelnose, bat rays, and a few surf perch. I was so excited, later that day, I brought my wife down, and lo and behold, we caught a couple Leopard sharks. My wife is hooked just like me. I decided to go by myself the next time. Instead of fishing the ocean side, I jump to the other side of the jetty to fish the calmer more rocky side. Ended up with some opaleyes, calicos (I think), Yellow Fin Croakers and a very pissed of eel. There was NO WAY I was retrieving my hook. I HATE SNAKES. Cut the leader and the thing actually chased me, I had to jump up on a rock and even then it tried to climb it YUK. The next time my little girl got a halibat in the same spot as before, VERY COOL, you can say that dad was WAY PROUD of her. The other days were filled with more bass, croakers, bat rays and perch. All these fish were caught in the same spot within 30 feet of each other. Thats what Im saying, you dont need to go far in the salt to have a multi species day. Tight Lines everyone!! sorry so long!!! FG15

Troutman65
08-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Very :Cool: report. Wingnut reports sure make you want to go out and try surf fishing. Glad you and your family had fun. Thats what its all about. Thanks for your post

boxl0bster
08-10-2008, 12:20 AM
sweet! good job man glad you did so well. you should give fresh mussels a try or mackerel. i like using those two baits the most versus squid. good luck

fish_sauce
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
In an essay entitled "The Class Distinction Among Fishermen," Hoover put dry-fly fishermen at the top of his pecking order, followed by wet-fly casters, spin casters and, on the lowest rung, users of live bait. In what sounded like a personal confession, Hoover added that "toward the end of the day, when there are no strikes, each social level collapses in turn down the scale until it gets some fish for supper."

-HOWELL RAINES; New York Times

in the past, i've also had luck with catching halibut by dropshoting thin strips of squid cut to mimic small baitfish...

congrats on the multi species days, and thanks for the report. :Cool:

Wingnut
08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you had a pretty good time. :Cool:
The Eel actually chased you after you released it?!? That is one pissed off fella. :Twisted: :ROFL: You're lucky, if it was one of the those five-footers, you'd be a gonner. :Wink: :Envious:
Keep up the good work & thanks for the report.

doyoufishmuch
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice report. Congrats on multi-species outings. Thats my favorite thing about ocean fishing, you never know what you might hook up with out there.