PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtails, Dorado, Bonito, and a 14 foot aluminum.

bruce watson
08-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I got up this morning and decided to go ocean fishing. As I loaded the boat, it was going to be either the Shoe or the outside platforms. When I got to the freeway my car headed south. Two hours later (8:00am) I stopped at Dana Landing in Mission Bay. I picked up a 1/2 scoop of dines and choveys, which now cost $25 instead of last years $15. With rods, bait, and four gallons of gas, the ocean was mine. At least anything less than 25 miles to get there and 25 miles to get back.

My first stop was good ol' La Jolla. I could not believe all the kelp. 5 miles out were big paddies. And I could not get any closer than a mile from the point. A couple years of cold water sure brought that back to life. But the water wasn't cold today. 67 degrees at the end of the jetty of Mission Bay and up to 74 degrees on the outside about 6 miles from the point of LJ.

First stop brought a few bonito. Most were in the 3 or 4 pound range. I was tossing them at first, then realized that lobster season is only a couple of months away and I got a freezer in my garage. Besides, they were eating all my sardines. So I thought I troll for a while.

I put on a green and yellow mack pattern Rapala CD 17. Tammy, this is the one I loaned you that day by the wall. My rod never made it to the rod holder. Small 5lb yellow. Nothing to write home about, but perfect for the BBQ. I felt bad keeping one that small, but I have grand daughters who are starving. Tried it again for about an hour with no more luck.

Next I headed south to about 6 miles west of Point Loma. Nice paddies and 72 degree water. Finally spot some dodos under a paddy. They wanted nothing to do with my bait. In fact, these Dorado may have been afraid of my sardines, I couldn't tell if the dines may have been bigger. I tried an old idea and trolled a cedar plug by the paddy and had a volunteer. Maybe 3 or 4 pounds and badly bleeding.

I got some pics at the dock before my batteries died. I was alone so I'm not in the pics. However I'm sure that some of you recognize my boat, feet or shadow.

JapanRon
08-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Bruce Watson,

WTG on the fish. Little tin boats and blow-ups work !!

JapanRon

ghetto dad
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Damn...nice job in the aluminum!!!!!

GD

FishBandit
08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Cant beat getting exotics in the skiff. Who can resist the young meat? Good goin out there Bruce.

theBandit

deanhall32
08-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Trifecta- on 4 gallons of gas???

ghetto dad
08-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Cant beat getting exotics in the skiff. Who can resist the young meat? Good goin out there Bruce.

theBandit

lololololo....nasty....:ROFL:

bruce watson
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I think Olfishergal wants to go out this weekend. She's fallen big time for the saltwater. How am I going to keep her in Long Beach now that she's heard of San Diego?

Troutman65
08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Nice going Bruce. Nothing wrong in taking your catch home to eat. :Big Smile:

chris
08-08-2008, 10:49 PM
your an animal congrats on the awesome skiff fishing

Nessie Hunter
08-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Dang fine job Bruce, WTG buddy..

Cant beat a trip with exotics while fishing a small craft offshore.

You da man....

paDDy
08-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Nice job out there old man.

one_leg
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I guess this means that my phone is broken again? :mad:

:ROFL:

Nice Job.

I been watching the counts and wondering when I'd see a report from you.

FISHINGBEE
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Soon the YFT will be close enough Skippies too. Great job regardless of the size. Just an idea we cut our sardines that are dead up and gather the dead anchovies chum. Seems it makes the small Dodos excited take a live bait much easier. Also slow trolling bait around the paddy sometimes works.

FISHINGBEE!

pokerface12
08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice, good job on the tail and dodos. How many horsepower is your outboard, and what was the farthest you were from the coast? I'm asking cause a friend of mine also have a 14ft aluminum with a 9.9 hp and what to hit horseshoe kelp but is scared to because He thinks his boat is too small.

bruce watson
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Nice, good job on the tail and dodos. How many horsepower is your outboard, and what was the farthest you were from the coast? I'm asking cause a friend of mine also have a 14ft aluminum with a 9.9 hp and what to hit horseshoe kelp but is scared to because He thinks his boat is too small.

My boat has a 15hp and is a welded Klamath. During the winter I fish the 150 area with no problems. I had it in the middle of the channel many times. Just make sure that at the first sign of a wind pick up, you start to move inshore. Yesterday the wind picked up to about 9mph after 1pm. White caps form at 12mph and you don't want to be there when that happens. If he wants to do a buddy boat thing some time, give me a pm. We're going out tomorrow (OFG and I) but are just going to fish in front of Seal Beach. She wants a Halibut.

steve092
08-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Nice job on those fish!

supasportkid
08-09-2008, 11:40 AM
awesome job on the lil boat!!!

troutdog
08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Nice job Bruce...good luck out there today!

TD

lil_snapperz
08-09-2008, 06:37 PM
great job man im suprised u cought them in a tin boat good job

olfishergal
08-09-2008, 08:19 PM
uh huh...........Bruce heads south when I'm not around...........Nice job Bruce. Hopefully we get something good tomorrow besides sharks and guitar fish......OFG

flyngby
08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Nice job Mr. Watson.

Nice to see that action on the smaller craft. I am still working on the comfort level of getting out in the open waters but have been taking time from my harbor trips to get outside.

Nice Tripple of the forked tail species!!!!!!!!!

Who needs to pay the price of MooMoo to get on a bigger ride and have them lead you to a slow day.

Nice day out there!111

Steve

BIGRED KILLA
08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice way to go out there on your sick ride thats a little fish killing machine did you use the banana launcher to chum up the paddy's thanks for the pics and report..

Bigred

Granny Fish
08-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Nicely done Bruce. Wish we could have made it out today to buddy boat with you, but we will have to do it again now that the boat is fixed.

diamondbear
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
sounds like an adventure bruce , good job .

Rooster
08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Bruce, nicely done there sir. My dad is freaking at your report.. Props on the great day. Hope 2 cya soon