PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon and pontooning questions...

boomstikit
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I am getting an Outfitter XT from Costco. This boat is the Rogue by Classic Accessories (Trout Unlimited), but improved and reboxed for Costco. For $300, I think it is a bargain. Anyway… here are my questions. Can somebody give me a list of lakes that allow pontoon boats? I live in OC but will drive north to Santa Barbara, or south to San Diego to fish. I am sure a lot of people also have this question. I fish for bass, so that might make the list a little smaller. Also, what size motor should I buy (shaft length and lb. thrust)? The maker recommends a 30 lb. thrust motor, is 36 lb. to much? Where is a good place to buy batteries? And do I need a particular type of battery? Or will any marine battery work? I am also getting a fish finder if that makes a difference. And finally, what do I have to do to my boat so it meets all laws and regulations?

Thanks.

tacklejunkie
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Local lakes allowed:
Silverwood
Perris
Puddingstone
Castaic Lower AKA "The Lagoon" (I'm not clear weather or not the upper allows toons)
Casitas (used to anyways, dunno after the quagga thing)
Pyramid
I'm sure I'm forgetting more..

you will have to register your toon with the DMV if you plan to power it with a trolling motor.

36lbs/thrust is fine. Probably best actually.

Read the manual from your trolling motor to see what amp/hr rating of battery requirement you need. Then purchase a battery with at least some amperage overhead and you should be good to go. Any battery that can handle the output power requirement will do. I would suggest a deep cycle battery.

Don't forget your life vest. Some places will ticket you for it. Also, get a very loud whistle or airhorn to signal boaters heading your way or getting too close, or fogged out situations.

You may even want to purchase rod floaters ($10) in case you drop a rod in the drink ($500), and a Berkley 3 tube rod holder or similar for rod storage onboard.

Koshaw
08-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I also heard that the new gel pack batteries are very good and last a long time, are waterproof etc...

I know my friend's cpap machine can run 36 hrs on a single charge...now I know its not a trolling motor but still...thats a decent charge to run a big appliance.....

I know gel pack batteries also run fish finders well...and that connections can be had =).

You may want to try Craigslist/ebay/walmart/bassproshops/cabelas etc.

steve092
08-08-2008, 09:50 PM
1. Can somebody give me a list of lakes that allow pontoon boats?

2. Also, what size motor should I buy (shaft length and lb. thrust)? The maker recommends a 30 lb. thrust motor, is 36 lb. to much?

3. Where is a good place to buy batteries? And do I need a particular type of battery? Or will any marine battery work?

4. And finally, what do I have to do to my boat so it meets all laws and regulations?

Thanks.

1. TJ has most of the local ones. Big Bear Lake also allows them.

2. I have a 30lb on mine and it works just fine. I know others that have 36 and even 40. They go fast, but they can't go fast for a long time.

3. I hate Wal-Mart, but their Everstart batteries do the job for me. AS for a particular one, it all depends on the motor. Most 30lb thrust motors require at least 105 amps, so you will need a battery with at least 105 amps. A deep cycle battery is what you should get.

4. Just register it with the DMV or with AAA.

Socal Bassman
08-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Lower Otay, Irvine, and Corona lakes also allow them. I think Hodges also allows them too.

tacklejunkie
08-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Lower Otay, Irvine, and Corona lakes also allow them. I think Hodges also allows them too.

Hmm, I wonder if I can bring the 'toon w/ me to the Irvine shindig?
I'll see if I can stir up any LMB's while I'm out there.
Thanks for the info bro.

Socal Bassman
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I can bring the 'toon w/ me to the Irvine shindig?
I'll see if I can stir up any LMB's while I'm out there.
Thanks for the info bro.

You should be able to nail a few at the Vine bro. Remember to bring the waders, no bodily contact at that lake. Jerkbaits and dropshot worked well for me a few weeks back.

Ronira
08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
You should be able to nail a few at the Vine bro. Remember to bring the waders, no bodily contact at that lake. Jerkbaits and dropshot worked well for me a few weeks back.
When your toon has a standing deck waders are not needed to avoid bodily contact. Shorts and sandles will carry the day. :Cool: Let's toon the vine dawgs!!!:Dancing Banana: