PDA

View Full Version : Casting Reel question

lalo56
08-07-2008, 06:31 PM
So i got my Rod today and i put my reel on it and a weight to cast it. My question is, is the reason to have your thumb on the reel line to keep the line tight so it doesnt cause slack and tangle?
First time with a casting reel

Oh and give tips also if you have any?
Picture attached.

Thanks.

Edit:
Yeah those leaves you see there was because i caught a TREE! YEEPEE!!! :LOL:

bsp
08-07-2008, 06:43 PM
You keep your thumb on the spool so the real does not backlash (when the line gets all tangled on the spool). Wet the line (fresh water) and adjust the spool tension (the knob on the under the star drag) until whatever you are casting is able to pull line off the reel when you take your thumb off the spool. It is set right if the weight can hit the ground and line stops coming off the reel. It is too loose if the reel back lashes when the weight hits the ground, and it is too tight if the weight cannot take out any line at all. Try to practice casting as much as you can, and try to use weights that correspond to what you will be casting. Good luck and enjoy the reel!

My bad, that is not an avet. It looks like a saltist (or a saltiga). That is still a nice reel.

lalo56
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I see. Thats why it back slashed. Well i was told to start with the spool adjuster when you feel the tension and requires more strength to turn. Yes, i have a heavy weight on it which is not what i will be casting unless i just let it drop down.

I find myself looking at my thumb trying to guide the line at this time instead of looking at the end of the line. I guess it comes in due time huh?

Edit
I threw a smaller weight as if i was flylining and wow that back slached pretty good. I had to reel it out and re-reel it. Im learning i guess. Better to learn here than on the boat.

supasportkid
08-08-2008, 01:47 PM
i learned by jus practicing early in the morning (i kinda looked goofy out there casting for nothing) and i learned on a really cheap real, casting 1/2 once lead heads. it took a while, but fun learning. keep it up

Ricky-Ray
08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
One of the most important things that ALOT of people don't know is that dry line will GUARANTEE a backlash. Always wet the line on your reel before you cast the first time. I always get at least one or two people looking at me with a weird look when I walk to the bait tank and take 2 or 3 handfuls of water and dump it on my reel.

ghetto dad
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
One of the most important things that ALOT of people don't know is that dry line will GUARANTEE a backlash. Always wet the line on your reel before you cast the first time. I always get at least one or two people looking at me with a weird look when I walk to the bait tank and take 2 or 3 handfuls of water and dump it on my reel.

lol...thats exactly what i do too ricky....you forgot about the part, other than the backlash, about casting with dry line......THUMB BURN!! Ill do that every 3rd or 4th trip.....on the way to the spot, waiting, waiting, bloat slows abruptly, lil chum in the water..."BOIL!!!" Grab the jig stick and FIRE!!! ouch.....

GD

Ricky-Ray
08-08-2008, 09:05 PM
If you can look for a copy of Inside Sportfishing titled Advanced Casting with Frank LoPreste and Randy Tousant. It's about a 45 min episode and it totally dedicated to casting and casting techniques taught by 2 of the greatest long range captains around. Well worth the 20 bucks for the DVD.

dixoncider
08-09-2008, 11:19 AM
get some cheap line and go down to a park or your backyard if its big enough and practice. You will get tons of backlash. the best ones you may have to cut out but part of the learning curve is get them out fast and without screwing up your line. Start with a 1 or 2 oz sinker and work you way down, the lighter the weight the harder it is to cast. A clothespin is about the same weight as a hook bait. It helps to match the rod and reel to the size you want to cast. If you want to cast jigs get a good long jig stick, the rod and reel make a big difference.

lalo56
08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I have been casting it with a light weight and have been backlashing. Practice makes better i guess.

lalo56
08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Another question. While reeling in a fish, you must guide the line, correct? I find myself having to choke up on the rod past the reel in order to reach the line in order to guide with thumb, is this the proper way? Will i eventually stop looking at my thumb and line while guiding and look towards the end of the line instead? :Confused:

Ricky-Ray
08-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah after awhile you'll stop looking at the reel and it will become second nature to you. You'll probably have to use your thumb to guide the line back on reels with a wider spool, on the ones that have a narrower spool like the Avet J/X you really don't have to do much to it. It all depends on how wide the reel spool is.

lalo56
08-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah after awhile you'll stop looking at the reel and it will become second nature to you. You'll probably have to use your thumb to guide the line back on reels with a wider spool, on the ones that have a narrower spool like the Avet J/X you really don't have to do much to it. It all depends on how wide the reel spool is.

Thanks for the response. I will try on next practice session to not guide, but if it requires me to guide is it proper to chocke up on the rod pass the reel to use thumb to guide while holding firmly in order to still be able to fight fish?

Ricky-Ray
08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Just keep practicing using your thumb to guide the line in. If you have to look then go ahead. Eventually you'll start to not look at it and it will become second nature. Just let it happen naturally.

I usually grip the rod with my left hand just above the reel so I can thumb the line in too. If your holding it pretty close to this then your good to go.

lalo56
08-12-2008, 01:01 PM
yeah that's how I am doing it. Good because I don't want to learn using bad habits. Thanks ricky ray

lalo56
08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I have now been able to cast it longer with less spool tension and learning to use my thumb to control it and no backlash. I was impressed with myself. I have a 1/2 oz on it, it went further than what i thought and i managed to hit the utility pole and it wrapped around it. I was like cool and then i thought "**** its stuck" so i had to get up there and get it off. LOL.

Thanks Ray.

one_leg
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Just let your thumb rest on the exposed edge of the spool. It is a lot less likely to cause loose loops than letting it rest on the line itself. The edge of the spool is symmetrical and the line on your spool is often anything but symmetrical. You'll get the hang of it in short order.

lalo56
08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Just let your thumb rest on the exposed edge of the spool. It is a lot less likely to cause loose loops than letting it rest on the line itself. The edge of the spool is symmetrical and the line on your spool is often anything but symmetrical. You'll get the hang of it in short order.

Yes, thank you. I have been resting my thumb in center of back of spool. I let the spool tension loose and didnt get the backlash but i didnt think i was gonna be able to get it that far so i got an unexpectected object tangled and no backlash. I got it untangled. Good thing is im a fast learner. I thank all who helped and their continued help. Still not perfect which i dont think it will ever be or so i say, but its getting better.

Thanks all.
Eddie