PDA

View Full Version : CDM 8/7 Pics soon to come

J12
08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Woke up 6am for no reason and saw that the sky was clear so I decided to dress up and test out my LC pointer 100. I might as well get as much practice as I can with this lure since I dished out 18 bucks to get it. Anyway, I got there around 6:20am and saw a fellow working a jerk bait like myself. Right when I came near, he hooked on to a nice Hali looks a lil short from legal but it was definitely a good fighter. I decided to fish on the finger jetty for a while but no luck. Around 7 I worked up and down the path that leads to the jetty with no luck also. Finally around 7:20am I decided to fish the jetty again and I managed to catch a pencil cuda. It was probably one the most exciting fishing experience catching something on a jerkbait. I was just going jerk pause jerk jerk pause and all of a sudden i felt a twitch and i just set the hook by dragging my rod to the side and the cuda just ran. The pic is still in the phone's micro SD card and I can't show you guys until i find the sleeve for the card. Until then This is all i can tell you. The cuda was not big like it was probably 16 inches but the lil guy put up a great fight and was released safely back into the waters. I got home and my girlfriend told me Im too into fishing and that she wished that I would show the same kind of enthusiasm for studying. If only I was into studying as much as I was into fishing, I would probably be the biggest nerd in the world......

PICTURE UPDATED!!

ddrahn
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Good job on the barracuda. It is definitely exciting when you hook up using a jerk bait - I was shaking I was so excited when I landed a 27" butt there two weeks ago while using a LC. I'm still waiting for the day I get a legal barracuda off the jetty though. Just out of curiosity, was there much salad in the water? I was there last Saturday and there was quite a bit.

I'm planning on heading down there on Saturday to see if I can't hook up with some more legal butts.

bonestock
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I went there with a buddy a few days ago and it was all you can eat salad every cast. Buddy also lost a Pointer.. 20 bucks into the wash + skunk sauce

Bassripper2000
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Me too man, lost an LC and nothing but salad.

J12
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Good job on the barracuda. It is definitely exciting when you hook up using a jerk bait - I was shaking I was so excited when I landed a 27" butt there two weeks ago while using a LC. I'm still waiting for the day I get a legal barracuda off the jetty though. Just out of curiosity, was there much salad in the water? I was there last Saturday and there was quite a bit.

I'm planning on heading down there on Saturday to see if I can't hook up with some more legal butts.

Surprisingly there weren't as much seaweed hanging around as usual at least that is the case on the finger jetty side. Usually, theres way too much to work any sort of lures out there. I did reel in some seaweed every cast but I sorta learned to avoid it and worked with what I can. Tide was low so I didn't lose my LC to any big rocks because you can see them. I think as long as you go out there on a sunny morning and cast with caution, things will go well. I hope that helps.

ddrahn
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
CDM is definitely hit or miss with the seaweed. No rhyme or reason to it. As you said, you just have to work around it - although it does make it tough.

bonestock
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
When you get caught in a big pile of salad the LC doesnt swim so good and gets caught easily. Next time I'll tell my friend to bring a change of clothes and a snorkel. hahaha

willis949
08-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Went down to that same spot Monday at about 6:45 and started at the beginning of the walk way because of the low tide I was able to fish in knee deep water.I got two lc 110 METALLIC SARDINE on ebay so I was anxoius to try it out.Second cast BAMM I hook up a 23" hali my first legal of the year.The problem is the LCs are a ***** to unhook from the fish. When 4-5 hooks are in him and he is floppin around it gets pretty ugly.I caught a 17" hali about an hour later.Came back the next day same time and nothing plus so much salad that I was dragging it from a second after it hit the water.

fish_sauce
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
hey Jacky,

congrats again on the cuda!:Wink::Cool:

CDM can be somewhat tempermental during late summer as the dense vegetation begins to die off or gets washed up by the current...if this ever gets to be the case, maybe you can pack along some plastic swimbaits?

Hmm...Maybe you can also look into studying something thats fishing-related!...say....Marine Biology? Haha...J/k....Your g/f might not realize it, but just as with almost any other hobby...fishing is a continuous journey of learning and growth...but we don't see its importance because most of the time we're too busy enjoying it...How about being the biggest nerd who also happens to fish? :Wink:

Andrew

J12
08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
PICTURE UPDATED!![/QUOTE]

hey Jacky,

congrats again on the cuda!:Wink::Cool:

CDM can be somewhat tempermental during late summer as the dense vegetation begins to die off or gets washed up by the current...if this ever gets to be the case, maybe you can pack along some plastic swimbaits?

Hmm...Maybe you can also look into studying something thats fishing-related!...say....Marine Biology? Haha...J/k....Your g/f might not realize it, but just as with almost any other hobby...fishing is a continuous journey of learning and growth...but we don't see its importance because most of the time we're too busy enjoying it...How about being the biggest nerd who also happens to fish? :Wink:
Andrew

You're totally right about getting too caught up enjoying fishing itself. I'm fairly new to surf fishing and there's so much I can read about to make me a better fisherman. I was reading one of Wingnuts post about how planning and reading up tide conditions and grunion conditions can make a whole world of difference. I'll definitely start reading up during my spare time. Maybe thats what I'll do during my 2 weeks of fishing rehab that my gf had placed on me haha.

J12
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Went down to that same spot Monday at about 6:45 and started at the beginning of the walk way because of the low tide I was able to fish in knee deep water.I got two lc 110 METALLIC SARDINE on ebay so I was anxoius to try it out.Second cast BAMM I hook up a 23" hali my first legal of the year.The problem is the LCs are a ***** to unhook from the fish. When 4-5 hooks are in him and he is floppin around it gets pretty ugly.I caught a 17" hali about an hour later.Came back the next day same time and nothing plus so much salad that I was dragging it from a second after it hit the water.

haha at least you didn't lose your lure. I guess everyone is having some trouble with the veggie out in CDM.