PDA

View Full Version : duel report...more HB pier action with mr. bendo and myself

rcfb73
08-07-2008, 12:47 AM
********************Friday July 25th***************************

met up with patrick and melissa at the usual spot on the pier at around 7 30...it was a little crowded due to the US open of surfing goin on that day. weather was a bit overcast, but the sun came out around noon. makin bait was harder than usual...the week before we were gettin an average of 3 sardines on every drop of the sabiki... this time it was a whole lotta smelt. smelt havent really produced great for me at the pier. we went to the other side of the pier and dropped the baitrigs to see what else we could pull up. managed just a handful of herring...but those halibut like the herring better than smelt...

about an hour goes buy and patricks reel starts buzzin... finally gets the fish to the surface and i hear "big halibut!" i go over and grab the dropnet and get him netted and over the rail

pats 23 incher.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300535.jpg

second on the board was patrick again with this little guy who i believe ate a herring that was almost as big as itself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300536.jpg

it was coming up on about 1 oclock, which is the unfortunate time of when i have to leave due to me usually working on friday. pat stayed till i believe around 6 and managed another shorty i think, and about a 15 pound batray.

yes...i got the skunk....bummer, but thats fishing! there are plenty of other reasons why i like fishing the pier..nice ummm..scenery.

*********************** saturday august 2nd*****************************

today it was gonna be patrick, jason (minesbigger) and myself again. we wanted to get an early day on the pier and to be there at around 6:30 or so. i didnt get off work until 1am the night before, so i unfortunately woke at the time we were supposed to be there. patrick and jason were already down there when they called me. right when i hit about the 91 on the 57 i realized i forgot my tackle bag...DOH! another 30 mins down the crapper. i FINALLY get to the pier and while im in the turning lane pat calls me and tells me that there is a kids fishing derby goin on at the pier that day and it was packed! good thing i got there when i did or else i probably wouldent really have a decent spot. the derby was from about 9-12, so in between those hours it was alot of undoing tangles, giving advice on cutting bait, jason tought a couple knots, pat was the batray coach to a couple people who were hooking up on them. there was pretty much no action goin on early that morning. the batrays were crusin pretty close to the surface, in groups of 2 or 3 so that was a decent sign it was gonna be a "ray day"

the derby finally won with a 2.2 lb croaker taking first prize. the pier cleared out, and as another pier regular said, "those kids just chummed for us"

turned out to be semi true!

sad thing was it was another slow day for bait. alotta smelt, some herring, the 'dines finally showed up later in the day, more on that later.

first to hook up was pat with this 15-20 lb mudmarlin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300537.jpg

put on a decent fight for pat

next my drag started buzzin...then pats.... turned out a greedy batray ate both our bait and or got snagged on one of us and took us both for a ride down the pier....now that i look back i shoulda just cut my line and let pat win the battle...the ray ended up wrapping itself around the pylon and breaking us both off...swimming up to the surface after it was free to give us both "the fin"

little hali for pat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300540.jpg

as i mentioned before, the sardines finally showed up, only when they were gettin jumped by a school of BONIES!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300538.jpg

good job pat! i started throwin a chrome jig for no love...

i was gettin desperate, i tied a dropshot and put a 2inch gulp baitfish on the hook, casted out as far as i could, and started bouncin. first cast i get hit with a new species for me. first Yellowfin Croaker!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300539.jpg

wasnt that heavy, dunno why im standing like that. who cares? STRIPE IS GONE!

i stayed until about 8:30pm, hoping for one more good batray run. im not sure what time pat left or if he hooked up with anything else after i left. he probably hooked into a batray that beats his PB, but had no one to net it cause i took off early...haha sorry if that happened pat!

ANYWAYS, 2 more successful, fun days at the pier...i dont think i can not have fun out there...

that'll probalby the the last pier report for about 2 weeks... hopefully my next report will be from a trip on the freelance im planning to go on next thursday or friday.

-Steve

crystalmath79
08-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the report. Have you ever seen the dolphins(or are they porpoises?) swimming around the surfers? Awesome sight

Badfish2
08-07-2008, 03:05 AM
why do people bring so many rods? In that one shot there had to be at least 10 rods behind you

steve092
08-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Good job breaking the skunk.

rcfb73
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
why do people bring so many rods? In that one shot there had to be at least 10 rods behind you

Haha we wondered the same thing when that guy rolled up. He was loaning out setups for the kids in the derby. And he had way more than 10.

Troutman65
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Nice going fellas. H.B. is a fun town. I have not pier fished at H.B. for 28 years.:Shocked: Yikes, thats a long time.

Thanks for the report.

fish_sauce
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
legal hali off a pier!!

VERY cool! :Cool:

thanks for the report!

Mr Bendo
08-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the report and pics Steve!!!!!! I always have a good time fishing with you!!!! Now we got to work on getting your first "Mudmarlin" and legal "Butt"! As fishing goes for HB pier? It's actually kind of slow! For Halibut it's been pretty good, when there's bait, but for everything else it seems to be off!!!!!!!!! Macs and other bait It's been tough!!!!! Sardines and Herring are important for fishing off the pier, no bait no fish!!!!!! Even the batrays haven't really come in yet?! Hopefully we are just having a late start and I like the fact that I'm seeing bait balls around the pier in the afternoon that draws in Bonito and etc. Till next time my friend, it will be a couple weeks until my next trip also!!!!!!!

rcfb73
08-10-2008, 01:56 AM
thanks patrick! btw i was organizing my tackle bag for my pismo trip and i realized i still have your bonito feather...its here on my desk and ill give it to you next time i see you....

crappiemike
08-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Thats cool, all of the piers should be talking off soon..
Good report and nice pics... Cm