PDA

View Full Version : i need a good recipe for dorado

Zombie Bass ATTACK
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
i attempted to cook some dorado(mahi mahi) tonight and it came out like crap!!! :Sad: i have over 8 bags full and i only lost one to a bad attempt at a cooking job...when it comes to fish i cant cook but anything else im great at!! Any help is much needed.

thanks much.
ZBA:Smile:

Granny Fish
08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Dorado has such a nice flakey white meat that makes it good for a lot of different recipes. I've baked it, fried it, grilled it, made chiviche with it as well as use the left overs for tacos and sandwiches. I've even eaten it as sashimi. Don't over cook and don't add salt until you are ready to serve as the salt pulls the water out of the meat and makes it tough and dry tasting.

Baked:
Put fillets in a shallow pan with a little pat of unsalted butter (1 tablespoon for a pound of fillet aproximately).
Season with your preference, mine is a little bit of dill weed or some minced garlic. Place a piece of foil lightly over the fish, but don't seal it. Bake at 300 degrees F, until the fillets flake easily with a fork (don't over cook).

Oven Fry:
Brush clean prepared fillets with olive oil. Dip in italian bread crumbs, lay on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven. Turn fillets after the first 5 minutes, then bake until done (about 5 more minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet). The fish will flake easily if it is done.

Grilling:
Brush clean prepared fillets with olive oil and season with bay seasoning. Cook on low or indirect heat on top of foil or on top of water soaked cedar planks with the lid closed on the grill until done (usually about 10 minutes unless they are thick fillets). The fish will flake easily if it is done, don't over cook or the meat will be tough.

Deep frying:
Cut fillets in even sized pieces. Wash and lay on paper towels to drain excess water, but don't dry completely. Bread with you favorite homemade breading or use a store bought brand such as Dixie Fry. Drop moist fillet chunks into breading to coat completely and then into oil heated to 350 degrees. Try to make sure the pieces you fry are all about the same size and thickness so they cook the same (all smaller pieces together and all thicker pieces together). Don't try to fry too many pieces at once or it will bring the oil temp down. Remove from oil when they are browned and place on paper towels to drain. Season with bay seasoning and salt.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Good luck on your next cooking adventure. :Wink:

Zombie Bass ATTACK
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Dorado has such a nice flakey white meat that makes it good for a lot of different recipes. I've baked it, fried it, grilled it, made chiviche with it as well as use the left overs for tacos and sandwiches. I've even eaten it as sashimi. Don't over cook and don't add salt until you are ready to serve as the salt pulls the water out of the meat and makes it tough and dry tasting.

Baked:
Put fillets in a shallow pan with a little pat of unsalted butter (1 tablespoon for a pound of fillet aproximately).
Season with your preference, mine is a little bit of dill weed or some minced garlic. Place a piece of foil lightly over the fish, but don't seal it. Bake at 300 degrees F, until the fillets flake easily with a fork (don't over cook).

Oven Fry:
Brush clean prepared fillets with olive oil. Dip in italian bread crumbs, lay on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven. Turn fillets after the first 5 minutes, then bake until done (about 5 more minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet). The fish will flake easily if it is done.

Grilling:
Brush clean prepared fillets with olive oil and season with bay seasoning. Cook on low or indirect heat on top of foil or on top of water soaked cedar planks with the lid closed on the grill until done (usually about 10 minutes unless they are thick fillets). The fish will flake easily if it is done, don't over cook or the meat will be tough.

Deep frying:
Cut fillets in even sized pieces. Wash and lay on paper towels to drain excess water, but don't dry completely. Bread with you favorite homemade breading or use a store bought brand such as Dixie Fry. Drop moist fillet chunks into breading to coat completely and then into oil heated to 350 degrees. Try to make sure the pieces you fry are all about the same size and thickness so they cook the same (all smaller pieces together and all thicker pieces together). Don't try to fry too many pieces at once or it will bring the oil temp down. Remove from oil when they are browned and place on paper towels to drain. Season with bay seasoning and salt.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Good luck on your next cooking adventure. :Wink:

thanks alot gf thats a ton of help i appreciate it!! :Wink::Big Grin:

Troutman65
08-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Granny Fish, Those recipes sounded so tasty.:Big Smile:

diamondbear
08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I have a favorite recipe but Grannys got it beat , just don't overcook it .

HEMAN
08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
i was about to post the same question. yummy.... Dorado grilling tonite!!!