PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Lakes

Team Santana
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Ok, going on a trip to the columbia river. Im from so-cal. Ummmm, convinced dad to make a stop at the eastern sierras. Never been, is there any info. a new comer may need??? I am taking float tube. Ok so, what lakes are HOT!!! I only know south lake, crowley, and mammoth lakes from previous reports. Can anybody point me in the right direction? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS!

hughpam
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Try Sabrina west of Bishop on Line Street. If you're willing to hike about 40 minutes above Sabrina, you have Grass Lake, Blue Lake and Lamark. All good to great for native Brookies. Yum!

Team Santana
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
thanks for the quick reply, now i need to find an rv park that we can stay at!!! Cant really find anything on the internet. Are there any rv parks on any of the lakes????

drivelikejoewho
08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Ok, going on a trip to the columbia river. Im from so-cal. Ummmm, convinced dad to make a stop at the eastern sierras. Never been, is there any info. a new comer may need??? I am taking float tube. Ok so, what lakes are HOT!!! I only know south lake, crowley, and mammoth lakes from previous reports. Can anybody point me in the right direction? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS!

Do the Saddlebag Loop you won't be disappointed. I usually try to do the Owens river every time I go up. The June Loop is worth checking out.. I usually do good at Grant. Crowley is a big lake and I don't go often because I haven't caught a lot of fish there but some people swear by it. Probably have a better chance of catching a bigger fish there too I would guess.

I can't be much help with RV info but there is definitely a big RV site right when you get into Mammoth before the McDonald's, there is one by the Owens river I think and some of the other lakes have them I would just search google you should be able to find something or somebody here will chime in.

If you are using a spin reel use powerbait, nightcrawlers, gulp!, salmon eggs, kastmasters, rapalas, lip ripperz, wedding rings, mepps, rooster tails or thomas buoyants. I usually do the best with PB, nightcrawlers, rapala's and kastmasters. Use two pound line, swivel and egg sinker with about 2 foot leader if using bait and make sure it floats.

Watch out for bears and.. goodluck!

Team Santana
08-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Do the Saddlebag Loop you won't be disappointed. I usually try to do the Owens river every time I go up. The June Loop is worth checking out.. I usually do good at Grant. Crowley is a big lake and I don't go often because I haven't caught a lot of fish there but some people swear by it. Probably have a better chance of catching a bigger fish there too I would guess.

I can't be much help with RV info but there is definitely a big RV site right when you get into Mammoth before the McDonald's, there is one by the Owens river I think and some of the other lakes have them I would just search google you should be able to find something or somebody here will chime in.

If you are using a spin reel use powerbait, nightcrawlers, gulp!, salmon eggs, kastmasters, rapalas, lip ripperz, wedding rings, mepps, rooster tails or thomas buoyants. I usually do the best with PB, nightcrawlers, rapala's and kastmasters. Use two pound line, swivel and egg sinker with about 2 foot leader if using bait and make sure it floats.

Watch out for bears and.. goodluck!

Thanks, I think we are going to go to the rv park between june lake and gull lake, because its convenient. I sure do hope june lake and gull lake produce though. Thanks for the BEAR WARNING :Shocked:, and tackle suggestions!!

Flying
08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I've stayed here a lot in a tent trailer.
http://www.mammothlakes.com/June_Lake/Pine_Cliff_Resort.html

We liked it a lot but we mainly went in the late fall when nobody is up there. The summer time is pretty crowed but then every where is crowed up there in the summer.
Easy walk with the tube down to June lake.

Theres a place by Silver Lake thats RV only. Its just a gravel lot with hook ups. You mainly see the high dollar rigs in there that don't want to get dusty/dirty. Its just a short walk to Rush creek and Silver lake from there.

Any lake is really going to be just as good as another. You just have to be there at the right which is usually yesterday:LOL:

Everybody has their favorite lake and mine is June. I tube or shore fish between the beaches because nobody else does and we do ok. The view is really nice from there which is why we all really go to the sierras.

If you haven't been there yet make sure to check out Convict lake on the way home. Its one of the best views up there.

Heres the Silver Lake resort
http://junelakeloop.com/camp/
From that page click on silver lake resort

Badfish2
08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
If you dont' have a lot of time, but want a decent taste of what the sierra has to offer.. I'd say

1: Bishop Creek Canyon, (north, south, Sabrina, intake 2) This road is about 15 miles long off the 395..but it's pretty awesome up there

2: June lake loop.. probably be hard to choose if I only had a day between this and Bishop Creek Canyon, June,Gull,Silver,Grant and especially Rush Creek.

3: Virginia lakes canyon, right off the 395 ..and pretty easy to get there from 395.. maybe 5 miles off the hwy? But. there are 5 lakes within 10 minutes walking of each other and the action is amazing for people with float tubes..

Team Santana
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I am settled on the june lake loop. There is an rv park that is in between june lake and gull lake that I found. And hopefully i can fully convince my dad for a stop, which im sure he will after i showed him the reports from the easter sierra lakes. Thanks alot, leavin today and comin back next friday. Going to columbia river, lake shasta, and hopefully june lake loop. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

samgann93
08-07-2008, 11:20 AM
hey u should really make a little drive up to virginia lakes.
we used to get 10 fish an hour when we were in tubes.
all with chartreuse power worms.