PDA

View Full Version : Playa surf 8/5 No pics

bonitoboy
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

Went to Playa and fished from 430 to about 7pm. Coupla of other anglers and lots of swimmers. Found a nice spot near a sand crab bed. Corbinas in the skinny clear water perfect conditions. Sand crabs everywhere of every size and eggs, eggs, eggs! Tie on a 3/8 oz carolina rig with 10# braid. No luck. Kind of frustrating when the conditions are so perfect and you can see them but can't catch. One of the anglers catches what looks to me like a nice 17-19 inch fat one. He was using live worms. Thought about digging some up but kept seeing the corbs snacking on crabs. Maybe too many crabs? Just wondering if anyone dropshots crabs? The hunt continues...

Wingnut
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Line is too heavy, gotta go to #6 flouro... you'll start nailing them. :Wink:
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

bonitoboy
08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Wingnut,

Thanks for the positive feedback. About the Fluoroc, my surf stick is a spinning setup, should I just use a fluoro leader?

Wingnut
08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Wingnut,

Thanks for the positive feedback. About the Fluoroc, my surf stick is a spinning setup, should I just use a fluoro leader?

I personally would spool it all up with flouro. That's what I have on my spinning rig. Believe it or not, Corbina have excellent eyesight and can see beyond the leader. But just by using the flouro leader only, will definitely increase your catch rate.

bonitoboy
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
No problems with the FC on your Spinning? I have not experienced myself because I thought that was taboo on spinning reels. But if you say so...you are the man in the surf! Please tell me you use braid for hali?

Wingnut
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
No problems with the FC on your Spinning? I have not experienced myself because I thought that was taboo on spinning reels. But if you say so...you are the man in the surf! Please tell me you use braid for hali?

Take a little more finesse but manageable on the spinning gear. I rarely use braid, most of the time straight mono on my baitcasters.
Good luck next time you get out there. :Cool: