PDA

View Full Version : Native Sun 8/05

MR. J
08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Me and my brother went aboard the Native Sun out of Long Beach Sportfishing. I was going to go on the Victory out of pierpoint but I did not wake up in time. I woke at 5:30am. I only live 5 minutes from berth 55 so it was natural i hit the closest boat. it took me and my brother 10 minutes to get ready so we were out the fooor at 5:40am. we got to the landing at 5:50am and we got onboard the Native Sun. i did not choose pierpoint because: 1) parking 1-25 would've been filled by the time i got there 2) i really don't feel like walking to the other lot and rushing to get on the Victory by 6:00am or even a little bit later.

So off we were on the Native Sun. The only bad thing about LBSF is that its in the heart of the harbor, meaning that it takes time to get to the bait reciver and out the breakwall. I figured that it should not matter, i Just want to fish. we got to the bait reciever at 6:47am after leaving shortly after 6:00am.

The plan for the day was to fish the sand bass. We did not venture too far off. I'd say we were in the seal beach area fishing for the bass. We were in about 50 ft of water. Throughout the morning we would fish numerous spots in the area and pick a few bass here in there. It was pretty much steady. To stir things up a bit there were some barracuda around too. people caught them fly lining a sardine or anchovy. as for the bass, most of the action was on the dropper loop. I only saw two or three fish total on the plastics. I tried the pastivs and got skunked. me and my brother basically fished dropper loops with 3 oz sinkers the whole trip I wanted to fly line for some cuda and maybe a bass that would near the surface but the seals were out and everytime i got the bait out i'd real in a head. I threw the tady 45 white/blue with blue back for some cuda.

shortly after noon, we moved on to the horseshoe for very little calicos. some were caught fly lining bait or on the dropper loop. After the seals followed us yet again and we weren't catching anything noteworthy besides my brother catching a very samlle cabezon, we moved back to the sand bass to get limits. it was hard to get the limits for the boat as countless dinks were caught left and right. i estimate me and my brother caught and released a total of 30 undersized fish. these fish were 10-11 inches and some even smaller than that hitting anchocies that were almost as big as as they were. the bass were hungry just not the bigger ones.

To sum up the trip, i'd consider it a success, 170 sandies, 20 calicos, a legal butt, 20 something barracuda, and a handful of sculpin for 19 anglers, also a small(compared to fully grown) black sea bass. Of those 170 sandies, some were toads, but mostly barely legals. it was slow fishing but the boat managed to pick up limits on the bass. Sorry, no pictures, forgot to bring my camera while in a rush to get out this morning. Also you guys know what average sized sandies and cuda look like anyways.

Jeff aka Mr. J

Funjunkie74
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Good job!
The Native Sun is the boat I learned to fish all over again.
Although it has switched hands (new captain) she's always brought good luck.
And Jason Rico is kickin' butt at the helm!!

It's too bad that the majority of bass were dinks but it seems that's what's going on for now.
Don't worry, soon it'll be sculpin season again!! LOL!!!

FJ74

supasportkid
08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
good job on the limit o' bass! yeah, i worked less than a minute from berth 55, but it does take up a whole lotta fishin time jus to get to the barge. but after that they put you on the fish pretty good. thanks for the report

MR. J
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Good job!
The Native Sun is the boat I learned to fish all over again.
Although it has switched hands (new captain) she's always brought good luck.
And Jason Rico is kickin' butt at the helm!!

It's too bad that the majority of bass were dinks but it seems that's what's going on for now.
Don't worry, soon it'll be sculpin season again!! LOL!!!

FJ74

the Native Sun and Victory is where i learned to fish. it all started 8 years ago while i was still in high school. but anyways, I remember jason when he was just a deckhand and i even had a class with the guy in college. i love the two boats nonetheless because of the crews and familiarity with them.

damn it! its almost time for sculpin season and that means boring fishing!