PDA

View Full Version : San Diego boat rod setup?

lalo56
08-05-2008, 05:37 PM
So I have the saltist 30th and the seeker rod 6'6"
My question is what do I need to buy to set it up for fishing off San diego 1-2 day trip. Also 3/4 trips off of some where local like the spitfire. What tackle do I buy and how do I set it up?

Thank you

That Dang Guy
08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
What kind of budget are you looking at per rod and total?

Ricky-Ray
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah a budget would be really helpful.

lalo56
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry. What I meant was what tackle should I buy for those types of trips? I have the rod and a loaded reel just need recomendations on tackle and how to setup the fishing line with the tackle. Sorry for confusion.

Ricky-Ray
08-05-2008, 06:16 PM
3/4 day up to 2 day trip alot of the gear is the same. 20-40# mono setups, bring flourocarbon too. Size hooks usually anywhere from size 1 to 4/0, sliding egg sinkers from 1/4oz to 3/4 oz, torpedo sinkers 4oz to 16oz. That's usually the basics. Your usual setup's would either be flyline with little or no weight or dropper loop to get your bait's to the bottom.

Plastic swimbaits, surface irons, yo-yo irons can also be added to the aresenal too. You can just add a few irons to your aresenal and then work your way up on adding more. Usually the basic colors are mint green, scrambled egg, blue/white, blue/chrome, dorado pattern.

lalo56
08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
that's exactly what I'm in need of. I need to fill my saltwater tackle bag since it's empty right now. Thank you. Any one else have other recommendations feel free to post them I would be appreciative.

Thank you

That Dang Guy
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Ah, i see what you're saying. Well, considering you have one rod and in SD most boats are targeting Yellowtail and dorados off paddies, I'd just flyline baits. For sardines, I like a 2/0 ringed hook and a size 1 hook for anchovies. Don't go cheap and buy some light wire hooks. You'll reget it.

Stick to the basics and kill some fish.

Ricky-Ray
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
If you plan on doing more saltwater trips you might want to consider purchasing a second setup. Having multiple setups in different line class that's already rigged and ready to go will save you lot's of time retying your hook after you landed a yellowtail or tuna. The bite can shut down just as fast as it started.

Generally on 3/4 day trips I'm usually bringing 3-5 setup's and on the overnight and two day trips I'll usually have 5-7 setup's.

Funjunkie74
08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Lalo, why don't you come out with us on the 23rd (if you can).
You'll get to see what other guys are using.
And all of us are more than happy to tell you "why" we use them.

Before you go out and buy anything, it's always wiser to see what's out there and talk to as many people before you formulate your own opinions based on limited information.

Just as Ricky said, you will need to have different setups for different situations, but if you don't know how to use it or not comfortable using them, you might as well bring a baseball bat and try beating the fish on the head!!!

FJ74

lalo56
08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the invite unfortunately won't be able to make it. I stopped by johnny's sports shop yesterday to have the line my saltist after a few questions I decided to take his suggestion to load it with 25lb mono and nor backing it with braided. They were really friendly and helpful. I admit I have never used conventional reels but best time to learn is now so that I can be more diversed and experienced.
I agree with having more setups of rods and reels but all in due time since I can't spend too much at once. Little by little it will start to grow, my arsenal that is.

Ricky-Ray
08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Little by little it will start to grow, my arsenal that is.

A Tackle Ho in the making...

Zombie Bass ATTACK
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
if your heading out to san diego i just got back and the fish arent touching anything over 20lb mono and no hook bigger then a 1/0 these fish have gotten picky over the weeks they are very line shy and boat shy alil aswell...and i wouldnt waste money on jigs and irons right now they want nothing to do with them..they are targeting live bait fly line sardines all the fish are on top...i threw 25lb test almost for 2 stops and they werent having nothing to do with me then the 3rd stop i switched to 20lb and it was wide open do do after do do..yellows too were very line shy.

ZBA

lalo56
08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks zba, I will make sure to take some flouro for my lead line if I run into that situation. Not exactly sure when It will be though. Thanks again.

Ricky-Ray
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Whenever I'm flylining a bait I always put on a 3-5ft leader of flouro. If your fishing 25# mono just put on a short topshot of 25# flouro, if they become line shy you can always cut that leader off and put a 20# flouro leader or even 15 if you really need to go that far.