PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Geisha 8/0/08

SanDimasLMB
08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I fail at reports,..... Forgot the camera AGAIN!

Anyways, the report.

18:20 Leave the house with Dad.

19:40 Finally arrive at San Diego!

19:45 Got some Santana's Mexican, mmmmmmm!

20:05 Get to the landing. Parking was a BI*CH! Waited almost 25 minutes before remembering that the first 30 minutes is free and there is an overflow lot!

20:20 After precise manuvering through the parking lot, finally get to the overflow lot. Only a couple of spots left! Sweet!

21:00 Waiting for the Cherokee to come in. (During this time, I notice a lot of people with coffee grinders, you know, newbies, so I'm thinking, "damn".)

~21:30 Run into Joe(FunJunkie74) and we have a conversation, gives me the intel on the fishing conditions, tactics, etc. (Thanks!)

21:50 Cherokee finally comes in! Also found out why parking was such a hassle. Many boats were late back to the dock.

22:05 After everyone checks in, we're off!

~23:00 Deck boss calls everyone in, give us a seminar and the low down for tomorrow. He says we'll be heading off the beach a little bit, and it'll be Run'n'Gun patty hopping.

23:50 Everyones a sleep.

5:30: I awake to the sound of waves and people. Weather outside is overcast and isn't looking too good.

6:00 Troll rotation starts.

6:25 Someone calls HOOKUP! as we pass a small strand of floating kelp. Turned out to be a small, lost, baby dodo.

Then, IT happens! I spot a :Dancing Banana: NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! To top it off, he eats TWO(2) right in front of me! I look at the deckie, and he looks at me.

Me:"Did you see what I saw?"
Deckie: "The banana?"
Me: "Ya,......"
Deckie: "Ever head of the Norwegian good luck ritual?"
Me: "Huh?"
Deckie: "Hand me a sardine."

You know what happens, :LOL:. Deckie does it like Bob(LA_Smoker) and bites the head off.

Deckie: "Your turn."

So, here I am, 16 years old, broke since I just used $200 on a fishing trip, and I see two bananas. What do I got to loose? :LOL: So, I do it! (Again, forgot the camera!) I wash my mouth, and hope for the best.

7:00 We roll up on a decent sized patty. Deckie starts a light chum line. I'm already fishing the slide with a swimbait. One little dodo off of it, and we're off.

~8:00 (Starting to loose time.) We roll up on a rather large patty, not huge, but bigger than average. I grab the best sardine I can find and get the first bait in the water, and it happens: HOOKUPPPPP!!!!! My line is peeling out crazy! This fish dives down DEEP, so I'm thinking albie. After a hard 5 minute fight, I see a jumper! Its my fish, and its a HUGE dodo! 3 more minute pass, I see color! BIG color! The fish is doing the circle of death.I have two deckies, on on each side of me. It comes up, one deckie puts the gaff in the water, the fish freaks, and it off to the races! Another
10 or so minutes pass, I see color again. I'm in the stern, newbies all around me, the fish gives its last runs, and I yell, "HOT RAIL!" Nobody moves. I tell the guy next to me, "Let me go under, under!" and he does.
The fish is on its side, the deckie tells me, "Its as big as you!" (I'm 5'11"!)

Then I notice a random line, and its not spectra but its thick. This line is from a guy on the other side of the boat! My fish runs into the line, I hear a "Hookup!", I see the thick line move. All is in slow motion. I try to push through people to follow my fish and to get my line to stop rubbing against the other guy's line.

It happens; heart break. :Crying: My line snaps, I hear people around me go, "Ohhh!"

I sit down, furious at myself for not doing what I should have done; which was forcing myself through those people. I'm thinking that the Norwegian good luck ritual failed. I regain my composure, and I go up to the guy and say, "Sir, do you think you could follow your line next time please?" This is where things get heated. He says, "Not my fault." and gives me the cold shoulder! :Soap Box:

I'm about to go ape nuts! Here's this guy, with a Penn Senator with 50lb. mono, he knows he cut my line with a big dodo on it, and he's basically tells me, "Don't give a fu*k" :Death2Above: BAHHHHHHHHH! I feel like punching a baby!

This happens TWICE! YES! Two(2) times! After each time, I go up to him, more serious every time, even the deckies (notice, plural!) yell at this guy to change his setup! He doesn't even bother to listen!

I wasn't the only one either. Same situation, another passenger is on a NICE Mako. The shark runs into the 50lb. line, we hear, "Hookup!", then a snap. This happened at least 5 times with times during the trip. Worst of all, I hear the guy talking sh*t on me saying that I lost the fish because I, "Didn't fight the fish correctly"!

Well, you know what buddy? I at least hooked up on fish, caught fish, and I'm eating the fish I caught, unlike yourself, who wasted money on a flight to get here, all the way from Colorado! :Finger:

Ahhhhh, rant over. :Envious:

Now, continue onto the report. We troll here and there, get some troll fish. This was all day.

Finally, with the last hours coming up, captain decides to go to a fall back positon. Its a string of pattys loaded chalk full of dodo's. Most were averaged school sized, but we got some above average ones too. Here, after catching my limit of dodo, which is two(2), I break out the Calais 200DC on the Calcutta rod and have fun. What I did was, I too a Daiwa TD Saltwater Pencil lure, took the hooks off, and just watched these school sized dodo just SLAM my bait. They would come under it and jump up on it, launch foward at full speed and hit it, etc. It made for a memorable time. Best of all, I put on a show for a couple of kids that were chumming all day since they didn't have their sea legs yet. Probably made their day.

Wrap up:

Landing: H&M Landing in San Diego
Boat: Cherokee Geisha
Crew: Fantastic!
People on Board: 36
Fish Count: Limits Dorado, 45 Yellowtail.

Thanks for reading! :Cool:

JapanRon
08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi SanDimasLMB,

Great Report .... Fantastic Report !!

Thank You,

JapanRon

one_leg
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM
You are supposed to "kick the baby" not punch it. :ROFL:

At least you gotta eat some fish, unlike the turd from Colorado.

Why do so many dorks hail from Colorado?

50 lb.?, was he trolling with it too?

christainmetalhead909
08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
ya i hate people like that man no repect. it sucks. when i had the first yellow i was yellin at peopl over under and no one moved pissed me off.

SanDimasLMB
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/sandimaslmb/IMG_3403-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/sandimaslmb/IMG_3402-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/sandimaslmb/IMG_3425.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/sandimaslmb/0805080028.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/sandimaslmb/0805080048.jpg

one_leg
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh man, you really should cut the bloodline off of those sashimi's.

SanDimasLMB
08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh man, you really should cut the bloodline off of those sashimi's.

Why? Best part of the fish.

Well, at least in a Japanese perspective. :LOL:

ironshrimp
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Nicely done...

Sucks on that douche with the 50lb. Line

that's one thing i hate about party boats

oh well, part of the game i guess

steve092
08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Nice job on those fish.

Too bad about that guy. Some people just don't get it.

SanDimasLMB
08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
True about being part of the "game". Makes it kinda interesting.

supasportkid
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
hey good job out there

sansou
08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Good job out there.

When on a cattleboat, dealing with "tourists & freshwater fishermen" is just another cattleboat fishing skill you have to master.

Daus
08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
What a Rocky-High Turd! I hate idiots like that.. and to talk sh_t to you about your fishing skills. Oh well, some people just don't get it.

I never advocate violence and none should be tolerated so what I usually do is... when fishing is really slow (like no one is catching anything), I usually stand and cast a bait real close to the idiot's line and don't give him any personal space. If he takes a step to his right to get a breather, guess what, I take a step right too and so forth. I'll talk under my breath just loud enough for him to hear and make him feel like a douche bag. But remember, it's not worth it to escalate it to violence, but just enough for him to be irritated. And if he gets bit.. well tough luck buddy cause me butt isn't moving. <---I only did that once in that past 10 years, but your story kinda sounded like my bad experience several years ago. Ignorance is bliss but stupidity I have no patience for!! errgggh!!!

Well at least you got your limits.

mstr fish
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Great report. Sorry to hear about your mis hap. Even as a newbie I can feel your pain. Whats worse found on me last trip was a couple who clamied they were the **** but would not move or would cast right over you. Nice looking catch you got there.......................................fish

Funjunkie74
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Kura-chan, this is almost a great report.

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!! You have to take pictures of the idiot(s) and post them up here so the rest of us can avoid him/her or walk up next to them with 65# spectra!!! Show him how it feels to be on the receiving end!!

FJ74

Trout Nine
08-06-2008, 01:46 AM
WTG! Congrats on your fish! I should have warned you It was like that when I was out there but I worked my way through and around them after it happened to me the second time!
( ONLY A FEW PEOPLE NEW HOW TO FOLLOW THERE FISH )

T9

Cabin Fever
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Good job on the fish. We were on the Cherokee Geisha earlier this summer.The new owner and crew have really turned things around, it's a really nice operation now.

SanDimasLMB
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Good job on the fish. We were on the Cherokee Geisha earlier this summer.The new owner and crew have really turned things around, it's a really nice operation now.

Definetly, the new crew is awesome, and know how to have a good time. We had a lot of good talks and many a jokes were exchanged. You cacn bet I'll go on the boat again.

SanDimasLMB
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
What a Rocky-High Turd! I hate idiots like that.. and to talk sh_t to you about your fishing skills. Oh well, some people just don't get it.

I never advocate violence and none should be tolerated so what I usually do is... when fishing is really slow (like no one is catching anything), I usually stand and cast a bait real close to the idiot's line and don't give him any personal space. If he takes a step to his right to get a breather, guess what, I take a step right too and so forth. I'll talk under my breath just loud enough for him to hear and make him feel like a douche bag. But remember, it's not worth it to escalate it to violence, but just enough for him to be irritated. And if he gets bit.. well tough luck buddy cause me butt isn't moving. <---I only did that once in that past 10 years, but your story kinda sounded like my bad experience several years ago. Ignorance is bliss but stupidity I have no patience for!! errgggh!!!

Well at least you got your limits.

Was thinking about doing that, but I still got my fish anyways. Maybe next time. :LOL: