PDA

View Full Version : Newport Harbor Skiffin'

one_leg
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Fished NP Harbor from a Davey's Skiff. Got a bunch of Spotties. Nothing huge but a lot of fun nonetheless. Barbiegirl was first onboard with a new species. I also caught a dink White Seabass. Maybe Barbiegirl will post some pics if she isn't too busy celebrating her Birthday. I also busted off on either a huge Hali or a smallish batray.

All they had a bait barge were Large Sardines. Wish we had been able to get the Chovies.

Happy Birthday Barbie!!!!!

I had a blast fishing the bay with you and your son Aaron today.
I was so stuffed with the Cheesecake Factory I fell asleep for a half an hour when my head hit the pillow.

O_L

crappiemike
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Thnx for the report at newport harbor.. Redondo is
doing pretty good right now. To bad about the bait
or you would of slammed them! Beer prices are good
tooo!!

Cm

ikeman
08-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the report one_leg. I haven't been down to rent a skiff in a while. Always a great time in NPH.

tacklejunkie
08-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Nice going O_L and barbie!
I gotta try this skiffin' stuff one of these days.
I'll have to pick some info out of you on our upcoming trout trip!

CASTAWAY
08-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Good going BarbieGirl and OL.

I was on the Salt Friday night and farmed something very
large as well. Probably one of those bat ray or a very humongous
shark, couldn't tell by the way it fought. Eight pound test don't
hold when fishing the salt I tell ya.:Confused:

bones
08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Nice job OL..........I gota get down to NP soon. I'm kinda new to Harbor fishing and everyone says that halibut go nuts for chovies but I've been killing them up north on sardines. I've found that sardines trap rigged work just fine and in fact the sardines are not as fragile and stay lively longer. Maybe it's just me though. I'll be posting up a few of my northern adventures with big red soon.We have been catching flatties,white SB,sharks,calicos and sandbass all on our float tubes. Oh.....by the way....I lost one of my hot spot fins during a mishap a few weeks ago and a single fin doesn't do me any good. If you ever get a float tube......I've got a fin for you LOL. I'll give it to you if you want it!

Gmoney
08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
yeah no O_L and Barbiegirl
sounds like a goooood time

did you use any plastics and if so...what kind and how were they presented??

heh
thanks for the post

laters
G$

one_leg
08-05-2008, 10:45 AM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/alan2.jpg
Yeah Gmoney. I used a 3" Fish Trap to catch this lil guy. Sardine color. 1/2 oz. leadhead.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/barbiebass.jpg
Barbiegirls 1st ever Spotty. On a big Sardine.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/alan.jpg
And we tossed back a bunch of these to catch another day.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Nice fish there Alan & Barbie...way ta go on getting on them great battling spotted Bay Bass...those suckas put up a great scrap lb for lb.

And SALUTE ! to all the catches...

I'll have to get back out there sometime soon, I love that harbor...

P.S.
Big dines work...a little smaller bait will get you more #'s but the bigger bait will get ya the toads......STITCH "EM !!....ha ha ah...I know it's alive but stitch 'em anyway ! trust me on that one !..

Nice work...: )

Congrats,
Gary

one_leg
08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Nice fish there Alan & Barbie...way ta go on getting on them great battling spotted Bay Bass...those suckas put up a great scrap lb for lb.

And SALUTE ! to all the catches...

I'll have to get back out there sometime soon, I love that harbor...

Congrats,
Gary

The "SPOT" was on fire. Rapid fire bites, one after another.

They do pull hard. I think they pull a lot harder than a sandy does.

cappo
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
nice job you two,
I think thats a queenfish not a dink wsb though.

one_leg
08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
C-Mike, Ike, TJ, Casty, thanks for the replies.

There have been some real good things happening in the harbor lately.

If they get some 'Chovies look out!!!

I feel like going again sometime soon. Anyone wanna target some Hali's?

Hey Bones, thanks for the offer of the fin.
You might find this hard to believe, but I already own 8 HOTSPOT fins.
Perhaps I can give your loner a place amongst the flock so it won't feel so all alone. :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:
Or better yet, maybe one of mine will fit you and I can trade it to you for a trip to one of your hot surf site locations? :Big Grin:

O_L

barbiegirl
08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Yes I wanna go again! Pick me, pick me!

Alan, thank you for making my day a great one, I had a blast!

And yes Gary I was stitching! I watched and paid attention all those times. :)

bonestock
08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Was this on one of those Davey's Locker skiffs with the bait tank in the middle? I want to try one those one of these days.

sh1nynewlove
08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
nice bass ... now I feel like renting a skiff :Smile:

one_leg
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Pick me up! Pick me up! I wanna go again too!

O_L

one_leg
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Was this on one of those Davey's Locker skiffs with the bait tank in the middle? I want to try one those one of these days.

Yes it was, and they are nice ones too.

$80 for 5 hours. $20 for a scoop of bait at the receiver located between the jetties.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-06-2008, 12:49 PM

Alan, thank you for making my day a great one, I had a blast!

And yes Gary I was stitching! I watched and paid attention all those times. :)

I'll give you a few tips next time ur heading out...let me know...
Glad to see some of them 'ol tried and true tequniques stuck with ya....use 'em wherever you go....stitching is very versatile and doesn't play favorites.....

If ya get one a stitchin....dedicate it to me.

Woo hoo...he heee and all that schtuff...I am looney tooney...woo hoo....catched in the head...woo hoo hoo hoo...ha ha ha ha (full moons a comin....)

Good luck and again.... Happy Birthday : )
Gary

boxl0bster
08-07-2008, 06:23 AM
ive been thinking about fishing nph on the skiffs. anyways thanks for the report alan. :Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Nice job out there looks like you guys had a blast thanks for the pics and report i wanna see a big barn door next time you go out there use the sardines and trap rig them choves work good to but those tomcod are every where and they love them to much lol.

Bigred

flyngby
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice job in the Harbor for the Spotties, They put up a great fight!!!!!!!!!

Steve

J12
08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I fish on the NPH Dock a lot and see skiffers out there doing quite well. I feel that it's great you released the spottie even though it was way over legal. I personally don't like taking em home to eat but when I fish with my gf and her friends, they always want something back. At least they only take when its legal.... but I hate gutting the fish =(