PDA

View Full Version : No grunions but got this...

eagleeyes
08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Grunions were scheduled to run last weekend. Planned to take my kids to local pier area to go see these grunions beach themselves. Brought my fishing rod thinking I can catch some halis or bigger fish chasing the grunions. My son's sleep time is usually 9:30pm and he waited at the beach with good ole daddy about 10pm. Kept telling him five more minutes for about 30 minutes. Didn't see a bit of any type of fish. Realized eventually it was time to go home and try to catch it on the next run. Oh well.

Went kayak fishing next day and trolled and threw swimbait for couple hours. Caught few different sized halis. Water was so clear that my son actually saw a hali swim under the kayak near the sand. He says "lets throw a bait there" and proceeded to throw a drop shot rigged berkley shad bait. And, immediately, he gets bitten by the hali!!! Sorry, I didn't take a picture of this hali but did take one for the next one which was about 24 inches.

Few minutes later, our trolling bait gets bitten by this baby... would have liked to see the grunions but catching halis more than made that up!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/gokumon/P8020068.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/gokumon/P8020069.jpg

flyngby
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice Flattie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

steve092
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice job on the legal!

Wingnut
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Awesome Steve, I was looking for you out there all morning on Sunday, but you were at the "other" spot. :Wink: :Secret: Great job on getting the legal Butt and to your son for successfully sight fishing for Hali. :Shocked: :Envious:
See you out there soon. :Cool: :Big Grin:

ikeman
08-04-2008, 11:47 PM
It's always good to have an ace spotter. Especially if it's your son! You know younger eyes and all! Way to go and congrats on getting your son in on the action.
Nice catch! Beautiful clean, white belly!

supasportkid
08-05-2008, 12:21 AM
good job on the halis man!

eagleeyes
08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks, guys!

It is good having a younger set of eyes to look for fish and structures. My 9 year old son kept telling me dad, can you see the stones down in the bottom? I kept saying "no, son, are you sure you saw that..." Eventually realized that it wasn't my son's eyes but my eyes that really were "challenged".

Steve