PDA

View Full Version : North Goleta Float Tubing - August 2, 2008

Leapin Bass
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Float tubed North Goleta with Bryan Saturday morning. Started off slow for the first hour or so. Bryan hooks up first with a short (about 20 inch) seabass while flipping a 4 inch Redrum colored swimbait near structure. After that he worked his way out deeper continuing to fish the structure/kelp and ended up with four or five calicos and a rockfish. I started to follow him but really wanted to fish shallow so it didn't last long and I went back in tight. Flipped the 4 inch bait around structure for a little while, got bored, grabbed my heaver rod with a 5.5 inch Keylime and started throwing it around. Concentrating on where the inshore, slightly muddy, water tranformed into the nice clear green water just behind the breakers. Hooked up after about five minutes and proceeded to land a barely legal white seabass. Taped out at exactly 28 inches in the tube - too close for comfort so I let it go. Continued with my pattern and picked up two more seabass (26 and 24 inches) and about a 20 inch halibut. On my way back to shore I started flipping the 4 inch Bay Smelt on the new 3/8 oz. 4/0 prototype jig head and picked up two more short halibut (16 to 18 inch range).

Wingnut
08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Report in the right section now. :Wink:

Sounds like a productive day out there for you and Bryan. You can get to some nicer structures from the tube or yak, that's for sure.
Well done on the legal WSB. :Cool:

supasportkid
08-05-2008, 12:23 AM
good day tubin!! wtg

bones
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Very nice to see that someone else has been killing it up north too. Big Red and I have been having a great time float tubing SB harbor. Lots of flatties and WSB not to mention calicos and sandsharks. It's amazing how a legal WSB will take you on a ride in a float tube. I'll be putting up a report as soon as I finish my roll on the disposible camera since I killed my digi in the surf a few weeks back.Send me a PM if you ever want to hit up the harbor some time.
KILL KILL KILL SLAY SLAY SLAY!

Nhatster
08-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Which is safer & more fun in the surf, tubing or yaking? Always wanted to give one or the other a try. :Big Grin:
Thanks for the nice report, good job.

bones
08-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Which is safer & more fun in the surf, tubing or yaking? Always wanted to give one or the other a try. :Big Grin:
Thanks for the nice report, good job.

If you can afford it.....I'd go with the yak. You can cover more water and there are not as many restrictions in harbors when it comes to them. Float tubes are kinda in a grey area when it comes to the coast guard,life guard and harbor patrol. Yaks can't pop either....LOL
It's all good though.........as long as you are on the water.