PDA

View Full Version : Help Charter Master Tips

jason69
08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Can you give me some tips on setting up a ¾ day trip for my work? I know you need to get a list going and collect ASAP as the boat usually wants half down. However, I don’t want to throw down the cash up front so how do you go about doing it?

How long does it take to organize? I want to go 9/13

How you collect, do you ask for a deposit first than collect the rest the day of? Or do you try to get the whole amt first?

Do you collect extra up front for the tips? Do you collect up front for the jackpot and make it mandatory?

What else do I need to worry about? How about prizes? How about making a flyer or list of what to bring?

Have you ever heard of http://chartermastersportfishing.com/ or used them?

Thanks!

Ricky-Ray
08-04-2008, 12:29 PM
If your booking a 3/4 day trip your going to need at least 40-60 people (depending on the cost of the boat) to go to make the cost of the trip reasonable for everyone. I would collect 50% when they sign up that way you know they are serious about going or the entire amount. You might want to figure in a 10-15% crew tip if most of the people that are going are first timers. Let the boat handle the jackpot, but let everyone know going that they have the option of getting in on it but it's not included in the price.

A handy check list of items for them to bring to help them enjoy the day would be helpful also. Give them an idea of what to expect but things can also be different too.

DavidE
08-04-2008, 12:29 PM
First buy a bottle of asprin for the headaches that will follow. Then ... find boats with the type of trip and date that you are interested in. Collect the deposit money that you are required to pay. (deposit $$ from your group should be non-refundable but 100% tranferable. tell your group thats the deal) Pay the boat.

As for the balance if you have time collect that too. If time is limited put your trust in the fact no one wants to pay $$$ for nothing.

Tips will be paid by your group as to how they were treated. Not your responsibility. Jackpot is not mandatory but it does make it a little bit more fun. And if your group does the right thing and the crew deserves it, the JP usually makes for a good tip.

As far as prizes if you have sponsors hell ya break out the prizes!!!!

Lots to it .... little return except for seeing your bros having fun and getting on the water with a group of people you enjoy fishin with.

Ricky-Ray
08-04-2008, 12:31 PM
A list of basic tackle items would be helpful too, if most of them are first timers let them know that rental equipment is available at the landing and that would be an additional charge. Or maybe talk to the landing and maybe they can work out some deal that includes the rental gear or maybe at least give you a discount on it. Also let them know about the fishing license too. Good Luck!

Fish Dog
08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Rule #1 - Money up front and NO refunds unless they get someone to replace them.

flopps1
08-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Rule #1 - Money up front and NO refunds unless they get someone to replace them.

That will save you alot of headaches! No refunds...

jason69
08-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks on rule #1 as well as the other ideas. you are right it will be a pain in the A**

Should i charge extra to cover my cost?

Sac au Lait
08-05-2008, 01:53 PM
DOn't do it

ghetto dad
08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I was going to type alot more, but bottom line is, its a HEADACHE and MAKE SURE YOU GET PEOPLES MONEY UP FRONT, NOT 50% THE WHOLE THING!! Cuzz if peeps dont show up, guess whos responsible for the money??? you man.......have a great one

gallogg
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes!!!!

Collect first and no refund!

Sammy

coachb44
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Jason, I used to do alot of charters, and then I got smart and bought my own boat :)
I did the Cortez most of the time out of Seaforth for tuna, but as a suggestion, always did well with the Fury out of Dana for 3/4 day trips.
A flyer is great...how much, what to bring, all that crap. DEFENITELY collect up front, because it is the nature of people that don't fish regularly to flake out, and I always did charged people a little extra so that I fished for free...Hell, I did all the work, it's only right!
I always told people that, though, too.
You can set your own jackpot entry amount. 5-10 bucks is normal for a 3/4 day. Tell the crew what you want to do and they'll collect the money for you when you board the boat. that said, DO remind people that they're going to need extra cash on the trip. They'll have to pay for fish cleaning, food and drinks from the galley, and tips if things go well. They can take their own food/drinks, but defenitely NONE OF THEIR OWN ALCOHOL...I have been on other charters where some dummy broke out his own hooch and BAM, we headed back to the dock immediately, trip over, no refund. Tell people that the boats have a zero tolerance policy for booze and weed or any other drugs.
On tipping...I always 'suggested' that the jackpot winner give at least half of his winnings to the crew as a tip...just the way I did things, I'm sure other people have other thoughts... Tip the cook a few bucks if the food/service was good, and tip the crew a few bucks on top of the fish cleaning bill likewise. Encourage the whole tipping ideal for EXCELLENT SERVICE...even if the fishing that day is crappy, you tip for service...
Tell people to LISTEN to the skipper and deckies and DO what they suggest throughout the trip.
Finally, spend as much time chatting up the deckies and the skipper as you do fishing...you'll learn a lot and will be helpful to make everything go smoothly!
~Coach