PDA

View Full Version : Upper Owens

SDJHawk
08-03-2008, 11:47 PM
no pix sorry but my wife and i were there on Tuesday and had not problem getting our limits with salmon eggs in a couple of hours. Question: Just how often do they stock the owens near the benton bridge area? Oh, enjoyed watching a couple guys from Sierra Drifters having their clients entertained with many fish on crickets. They definately know the spots.

MarkyMark
08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
What up!!

Good job on the Owens. Not to jack your thread but where is Benton Bridge?

I went two weeks ago and fished at the camp site below PVR and did good.
I tried to find PVR turn off to avail. Hope to back up there soon

MM

retired/lasd
08-04-2008, 07:30 AM
I know last year they were stocking the Upper Owens 2-3 times a week because of the NZMS in the Hot Creek hatchery. The river was filled with fish. Don't know about this year, but I was up there 3 weeks ago and they did stock one day while I was fishing. I caught alot of fish in four days, but they were all in the 6-8 inch range. Not one fish was worth keeping on that trip.

Big Country
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Marky Mark,

Benton Bridge Directions...

395 north past Crowley...Make a right at the Green Church...Follow for a few miles and you'll cross the Owens River and Brown's Campground will immediately be on your right. The bridge over the river is what people talk about when they say Benton Crossing.

mth1997
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I know last year they were stocking the Upper Owens 2-3 times a week because of the NZMS in the Hot Creek hatchery. The river was filled with fish. Don't know about this year, but I was up there 3 weeks ago and they did stock one day while I was fishing. I caught alot of fish in four days, but they were all in the 6-8 inch range. Not one fish was worth keeping on that trip.

Were they dumping all the stock because the NZMS endangered them in the hatchery? Some other reason?

retired/lasd
08-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Were they dumping all the stock because the NZMS endangered them in the hatchery? Some other reason?

The hatchery was infected with the NZMS as was the Upper and Lower Owens River. The only place the DFG allowed the fish to be stocked was in the Owens River as that river has been infected with the NZMS. That is the reason why the Owens River was stocked with so many fish, The Hot Creek Hatchery basically put all of there fish in the Owens River.

The fishing last season in the Upper Owens was some of the best I have had in my 50 years of fishing that river.

mth1997
08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
The hatchery was infected with the NZMS as was the Upper and Lower Owens River. The only place the DFG allowed the fish to be stocked was in the Owens River as that river has been infected with the NZMS. That is the reason why the Owens River was stocked with so many fish, The Hot Creek Hatchery basically put all of there fish in the Owens River.

The fishing last season in the Upper Owens was some of the best I have had in my 50 years of fishing that river.

Ahh, I see. Makes sense. Thanks retired/lasd

Is all that water still NZMS positive? I know Hot Creek is, but the portions of the Owens as well?

Sorry to highjack the thread SDJHawk, but this is interesting stuff.

retired/lasd
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Ahh, I see. Makes sense. Thanks retired/lasd

Is all that water still NZMS positive? I know Hot Creek is, but the portions of the Owens as well?

Sorry to highjack the thread SDJHawk, but this is interesting stuff.

There is no cure for the NZMS. The Owens River still has the snail.. Do some Google research on it and you can see how over time the snail can devastate a body of water.

Badfish2
08-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, that snail takes over. There are signs all over the place along the owens about it.

Mike274
08-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I have found NZMS' (very small creatures) on my waders and boots after wading the Owens. These can be out of water and dry for a long period of time then come alive when re-introduced to water. So be careful to not infect other bodies of water.

Mike

Sparky70
08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Kill the SNAILS........