PDA

View Full Version : 1st and possibly last surf fishing expedition

steve092
08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I'll start off first by saying, I'm not sure if I posted in the right forum, but here it goes:
Armed with some advice from Wingnut and Tacklejunkie, I tried some surf fishing. I went up to Avila Beach for a family reunion sort of deal, and since the beach was a short walk away, a fishing I will go! I saw a little area I could walk down to and fish. It was a little rock island. Once there I tried a few plugs, some cranks, but no go. I got enough courage to throw the X-Rap through the weeds. About 10 casts later, it gets stuck in some salad and goodbye Kansas City!!! I was fed up with that spot so I went to the main beach area and waded out. About 10 monutes into fishing, a rogue wave comes up and knocks me flaat on my ***. My backpack and baitcacster go straight into the water. I did recover them, but at the expense of my waders and a soaking (and now dead) phone. I was wondering why my shorts underneath were soaked, but I found out later that there was a hole tear in the crotchal area. I don't like giving up too soon, so I went back to my rock island to try again. I fished off there for a little and called it a day. I almost thought it would be my last day at one point.

Heading back to the hotel was a pain. I had to cross an area of about 15 yards, but it was an INSANE 15 yards. Being caught between relentless waves and sharp rocks was no fun at all.I must have slipped on rocks, then hit by a wave and/or fell in the water at least 3 times while trying to cross that area. Later on when I took a shower, my left side was all red and bruised.

Not discouraged, I tried again Saturday. I walked the beach and threw out everything. I mean everything from Gulp Jerkbaits to Kastmasters to swimbaits. Not even a sniff. The worst part was when I was trying a rig to throw some worms, my rod got completley drenched in salt/sand water.:Twisted:
SO to even everything out, I put the gear away and just enjoyed the time away and had fun with the family.

one_leg
08-03-2008, 11:40 PM
At least you gave it a shot.

I hope you rinsed all your gear off after you got done.

Keep trying and get someone to mentor you.

O_L

That Dang Guy
08-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't even bother carrying electronics with me anymore. I used to double ziploc bag them, but since they were a pain to open and seal when someone called, i never opened them.

You got yourself in a tough spot. Every year, people are swept off the jetties and are lost. Everyone wants to take a few extra steps for that sweet spot, but have an exit plan ready.

You'll be out there again. You'll see a few more of Wingnuts crazy post and will want to try again. =p

steve092
08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
You'll be out there again. You'll see a few more of Wingnuts crazy post and will want to try again. =p

Hahah, ain't that the truth!

kingjester13
you should have walked/fished Avila pier...j/k

kingjester138)

steve092
I hope you rinsed all your gear off after you got done.

O_L

When I got back to the hotel all the gear took a shower.

one_leg
08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
When I got back to the hotel all the gear took a shower.

So Ghetto Dad ain't the only person who showers with his rods/reels?

O_L

steve092
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
you should have walked/fished Avila pier...j/k

kingjester138)

I did check out the pier there. I don't like being crowded by lines on every side of me.

Fisherman57
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I'll start off first by saying, I'm not sure if I posted in the right forum, but here it goes:
Armed with some advice from Wingnut and Tacklejunkie, I tried some surf fishing. I went up to Avila Beach for a family reunion sort of deal, and since the beach was a short walk away, a fishing I will go! I saw a little area I could walk down to and fish. It was a little rock island. Once there I tried a few plugs, some cranks, but no go. I got enough courage to throw the X-Rap through the weeds. About 10 casts later, it gets stuck in some salad and goodbye Kansas City!!! I was fed up with that spot so I went to the main beach area and waded out. About 10 monutes into fishing, a rogue wave comes up and knocks me flaat on my ***. My backpack and baitcacster go straight into the water. I did recover them, but at the expense of my waders and a soaking (and now dead) phone. I was wondering why my shorts underneath were soaked, but I found out later that there was a hole tear in the crotchal area. I don't like giving up too soon, so I went back to my rock island to try again. I fished off there for a little and called it a day. I almost thought it would be my last day at one point.

Heading back to the hotel was a pain. I had to cross an area of about 15 yards, but it was an INSANE 15 yards. Being caught between relentless waves and sharp rocks was no fun at all.I must have slipped on rocks, then hit by a wave and/or fell in the water at least 3 times while trying to cross that area. Later on when I took a shower, my left side was all red and bruised. Not discouraged, I tried again Saturday. I walked the beach and threw out everything. I mean everything from Gulp Jerkbaits to Kastmasters to swimbaits. Not even a sniff. The worst part was when I was trying a rig to throw some worms, my rod got completley drenched in salt/sand water.:Twisted: TO to even everything out, I put the gear away and just enjoyed the time away and had fun with the family.

Steve,

Glad to hear you got a chance to fish the surf and YES... this is the correct forum!

I think Wingnut would tell you, we've all had days like that. If you don't eventually get knocked down by a rogue wave, you're probably not working the beach hard enough! LOL!

I keep a very MINIMUM amount of gear and personal items with me when I wade out into the water. My cell, wallet and other important stuff is usually double ziplock bagged inside the upper pockets of my waders ..... and even doing all of that doesnt guarantee that your stuff wont get wet eventually, but it does give you a few seconds to get up and outta the water and then ya just gotta hope for the best.

I have never fished Avila..... I do know some great areas south of there towards Pismo, but it sounds like you were trying to stay close to where you were based.

I know how ya feel.... getting "washed" by a rogue waves will set a different tone for the day real quick! Not sure what tide you were fishing?

Hang in there and dont let one bad day sour you on the sport.... cause the first nice Hali you hook. You'll BELIEVE!

Thanks for the report!

bsp
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Do not let one bad day discourage you. If you keep at it the fish will come! I never use waders (If the water is really cold a wetsuit works, other than that board shorts), and I find that I like that because it is one less thing to worry about. A small back pack (with a lot of ziplock bags for my phone) with a few lures is all I bring. That way I can get out of bad situations by holding the backpack over my head and swimming off the rocks.

Rogue waves are part of jetty/rock fishing and you have to always watch your back so you do not get startled. Only fish those places on calm days so you can minimize the danger.

Wingnut
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Now that's a rough initiation to the world of surf fishing. :Shocked: Believe me, it's not always like that, but from time to time, it can and will happen. Learn from it! I'm still learning new things every time I hit the surf. I carry NO electronics devices into the surf with me, only a WATERPROOF camera. I always try to go as light as possible with just a small pack with some essential lures & equipment.

Dana & I have had our share with rogue waves. :LOL: You are lucky to get your rig back. Be extra careful out there.

DON'T give up! Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some local areas to fish, along with the time that you should fish them. :Wink: When you catch that first surf fish, whenever & whatever it may be... you'll be back for more. :Big Grin:

Take care & good luck out there. :Cool:

C[ROD]
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Learn from your mistakes. People fall down so they know how to pick themselves up.

P.S. Persistence is key:!!!:

mrjonez
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
oh man, what a couple of days. get some gulp sandworms and toss em into the surf from the beach. probably dont even have to get wet to catch some perch.

calico killer kevin
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree with mr.jones. To start off with, all you need to bring is a spinning reel with 6 or 8lb line, stuff for a carolina rig, and gulp camo sandworms. If you're in the right spot you'll catch perch all day. If not, just walk up and down the beach. I like kastmasters too. Just make sure your lures, weights, etc. weigh at least 1/2 ounce. Have fun and be safe.

olfishergal
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I fell on my keester plenty of times in the surf. Just be careful........use light gear and the camo sandworms......the perch are a blast.....don't give up.
OFG

Cangler
08-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Also ... you'll miss out on all the ' eye candy ' !

We've all fallen in ... you get used to it after a while ;)

seal
08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Camo sandworms carolina rigged on 6lb a nice SANDY beach, a few lures (CHEAP ONES) and a cooler full of cold drinks. Not sure of your age so can't recommend the cold drinks I bring.

Steve I go a couple times a year from the high desert (Hesperia) and always have a blast, usually hit Bolsa Chica jetty or Trestles area. Keep it simple like all have explained and pick a less intense spot. Once you get the addiction you can upgrade to something a little more challenging/dangerous.

Oh and listen to Wingnut!

tacklejunkie
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Steve,

Don't give up. You will get yourself some salt fish soon!
Some days it's easier than can be and others it's tough as nails.
I've had quite a few very frustrating days at the beach myself. Forget about those days, cause one time you go is going to be crazy wfo and you won't know what you want to target next. I had about given up when Matt D talked me in to going one more time and that was the time that it went off. Now I can't get enough :Wink:

I forgot to add a few things. :mad:

(it's a little late for this one now)
Be EXTREMELY careful when fishing rocks you don't know. Sit back and watch it for 5 minutes to see what the waves do first.

(and as other have already said)
Plastic bag your electronics and wallet, etc. When you bag them, fold up a paper towel and throw it in the bag with them to keep any moisture out even if you take it out with wet hands and put it back in. I keep all the electronics in the fly vest in separate ziplock bags with a paper towel.

copeyboy
08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey Steve, sorry about the dousing, my man. I know it can be rough, but don't give up. I have come to absolutely love saltwater fishing from the shore!! I love being able to get into the water at least up to my knees and I haven't been skunked yet. To be fair, I've only had a few trips, but no skunk still. As others have said, take as little as possible with you and double plastic wrap everything. Dude, try out Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, or even San Clemente. Those beaches are more sandy and you won't tear yourself up if you catch a rogue. You might even try throwing out some anchovies or squid. I've caught leopard sharks, a sand shark, and a BSP with squid. It is still fun, even if it's not lure fishing. Just don't give up, bro. I know school starts next week, so you don't really have much time to make it down there. Just try it again. Later.

GOTFISHUES
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
you shall prevail,

man if you fish silverwood, tough fishing is in your blood, many a man wont go there just because of the elements. this day at sea the fish gods were just testing you, you go back and sho'em whats up, you will be rewarded.

props to you

GOTFISHUES

steve092
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Steve,

Glad to hear you got a chance to fish the surf and YES... this is the correct forum!

I think Wingnut would tell you, we've all had days like that. If you don't eventually get knocked down by a rogue wave, you're probably not working the beach hard enough! LOL!

I keep a very MINIMUM amount of gear and personal items with me when I wade out into the water. My cell, wallet and other important stuff is usually double ziplock bagged inside the upper pockets of my waders ..... and even doing all of that doesnt guarantee that your stuff wont get wet eventually, but it does give you a few seconds to get up and outta the water and then ya just gotta hope for the best.

I have never fished Avila..... I do know some great areas south of there towards Pismo, but it sounds like you were trying to stay close to where you were based.

I know how ya feel.... getting "washed" by a rogue waves will set a different tone for the day real quick! Not sure what tide you were fishing?

Hang in there and dont let one bad day sour you on the sport.... cause the first nice Hali you hook. You'll BELIEVE!

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the encouragement Dana.

steve092
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
A small back pack (with a lot of ziplock bags for my phone) with a few lures is all I bring. That way I can get out of bad situations by holding the backpack over my head and swimming off the rocks.

I did overpack, and next time I will remember the ziplocks.

steve092
08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Now that's a rough initiation to the world of surf fishing. :Shocked:

When you catch that first surf fish, whenever & whatever it may be... you'll be back for more. :Big Grin:

Take care & good luck out there. :Cool:

HAha, yeah. I was expecting it to be a little rough, but not as rough as it was!

I won't give up. I fished Silverwood for years and never quit. Once I hooked that first striper, it was all over!

steve092
08-04-2008, 08:29 PM
;222638']Learn from your mistakes. People fall down so they know how to pick themselves up.

P.S. Persistence is key:!!!:

People say I'm stubborn, I just say I'm persistent.

steve092
08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Steve, sorry about the dousing, my man. I know it can be rough, but don't give up. I have come to absolutely love saltwater fishing from the shore!! I love being able to get into the water at least up to my knees and I haven't been skunked yet. To be fair, I've only had a few trips, but no skunk still. As others have said, take as little as possible with you and double plastic wrap everything. Dude, try out Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, or even San Clemente. Those beaches are more sandy and you won't tear yourself up if you catch a rogue. You might even try throwing out some anchovies or squid. I've caught leopard sharks, a sand shark, and a BSP with squid. It is still fun, even if it's not lure fishing. Just don't give up, bro. I know school starts next week, so you don't really have much time to make it down there. Just try it again. Later.

I will have to try the squid again. There is a spot in LB that I know where it has tons of halis and other sea creatures. I only caught one fish there in about five trips, but I did not really know how to fish back then.

Man, I can't believe how fast the summer went!

steve092
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
you shall prevail,

man if you fish silverwood, tough fishing is in your blood, many a man wont go there just because of the elements. this day at sea the fish gods were just testing you, you go back and sho'em whats up, you will be rewarded.

props to you

GOTFISHUES

Haha, yup, I know I'll be back. Thanks.

copeyboy
08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah, you and me both, bro. I can't believe I have to go back into the classroom on Monday to start teaching again. This summer seems to have blown by. Although, at this point, I'm starting to get bored and I need some structure in my life. It's not good to let a Marine have too much time on his hands. Things can get dicey. See you around sometime.

supasportkid
08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
atleast you didnt get hurt(besides the bruis's) safety is always important. when all else fails, sometimes you have to just soak some bait. thanks for the post though

Nhatster
08-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Sounds a lot like my first surf fishing trip, but i did manage to catch a perch or two. Hang in there, that's about as bad as it gets.

Badfish2
08-06-2008, 02:33 AM
:Idea:Sounds crazy but why not just go with Wingnut on a fishing trip? :Idea:

steve092
08-06-2008, 09:42 AM
yeah, you and me both, bro. I can't believe i have to go back into the classroom on monday to start teaching again. This summer seems to have blown by. Although, at this point, i'm starting to get bored and i need some structure in my life. It's not good to let a marine have too much time on his hands. Things can get dicey. See you around sometime.

:rofl::rofl:

steve092
08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
atleast you didnt get hurt(besides the bruis's) safety is always important. when all else fails, sometimes you have to just soak some bait. thanks for the post though

I would have soaked bait, but I didn't get any. I did see tons of small crabs that I could have used, but i really wanted to catch a fish with a lure.