PDA

View Full Version : 8/3/08 NBU (k3vin_kim) Spitfire and friends

k3vin_kim
08-03-2008, 07:42 PM
GOtta call from Jimmy (4g63power) to go on a 3/4 on the Spit. My hand hasn't quite healed completely from the 2nd degree coffee burns but I've been off the water for too long. When I got to the landing around 5:30, Dara (B20 monster) greets me and we buy our tickets.

When we get to the Loading Dock we're greeted by Juan (Cappo). Good to see the good old boys again. We loaded up and set off for Catalina.

Steve as the Captain. Morgan, Bobby-k and lil' John on Deck and Derrick in the galley. My favorite boat crew to fish with.

Picked up nice big chovies from the bait boat and before we left for the hour boat ride, we spotted some giant skwid around Rocky point so we stopped and fished for a half hour.

Don't worry, they wern't the monsters that we saw from last year, only about a foot - to a foot and a half long. They'd pick at the yo yos but wouldn't cling on. If you were equipped with a skwid jig, you'd pull on all the juvinile skwid you wanted.

We all fall asleep on the way to the island and wake up an hour later to slow pickings on Short Calico's. We made 3 or 4 stops altogether today. It would start with a slow bite that gradually broke wide open. Unfortunately the grade wasn't all that big.

Cappo, B20, power and myself literally caught about 30 shorts EACH today. But it was still fun flylining the horse sized anchovies. I caught a shorty that had been shot by a spear gun. That fish must have 9 lives.

B20 landed a nice Boner at around 3 pounds. Juan landed a pair of nice 3-4 pound Checkerboards. Jimmy was constantly swinging and bringing fish over. I caught 3 short Sheepheads and a nice 3 pound Calico.

There was this old guy who wore all white. White dress shirt, white pants and white shoes. Not such a good idea. By the end of the day, his clothes looked like some kind of abstract art canvas.

Anyways, towards the end of the day we all had enough of bass fishing. It was too difficult to get past those juviniles to get to the bulls. Besides the Sun was really starting to beat down. Juan threw out his back swinging on a fish and called it quits. Jimmy and Dara fell asleep at the last spot.

After we docked up, Jimmy and i met up w/Mina and the kids at a Korean BBQ and grubbed.

The End.

calico killer kevin
08-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Catalina always seems to be kicking out a ton of short. Any YT or signs of them?

k3vin_kim
08-03-2008, 07:55 PM
we saw one boil. More like just ONE yellowtail that jumped out of the water. It was definately a homegaurd pushing 30 pounds. You can bet your *** that i was the first one with a live squid on the bow but no love.

BIGRED KILLA
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the pics and report it looks like somebody is spiking her drink lol.

Bigred

christainmetalhead909
08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
nice report kev sorry we slept in. but this makes up for the time you got to drunk the night before mr miyagi. jimmy sorry if i kept you waiting for my butt in the morning. looks like a great trip. what would you suggest davys fishing coastal fr sadies or redondo at catalina for checkers
?
ron and i are going to hit up a 3/4 day tomorrow.

supasportkid
08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
looks like a fun day at the island, nice fatty calico!

one_leg
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I've been too busy to post much lately, but your reports are always worth a read.

Thanks for the pics, they weren't too shabby. Let's fish!

O_L

4g63power
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
man..what a fun trip! i had a great time fishing and hanging with the legend and the boys..kevin's right..the spit crew is also my favorite to fish with..i need to get out and fish with these guys more often..oh and as for the old guy in all white..well like they said.pimpin ain't EZ haha..it was hilarious though..

cappo
08-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I had a great time fishing with you guys. Especially with the man, the myth, the legend Kevin Kim. It was one of the best calico bites i've ever seen. Too bad I pulled my back on that half pound calico which put me out for the rest of the day. Im still hurting bad, had to miss work. Until next time guys. Only took few pics.

Burrito Monster doing what he does best
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/spitfire/Aug2008/IMGP1979Small.jpg

Caliho
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/spitfire/Aug2008/IMGP1988Small.jpg

Gmoney
08-04-2008, 08:29 AM
K3VIN
cool report and pix as always.....looks like a fun day

Cappo
.....take care of yourself brutha!!

look forward to fishing with y'all soon

laters
HGH$

fishhead
08-04-2008, 08:46 AM
First,that burn on ur hand looks brutal.
Second,the BBQ got me way too hungry.
Nice trip and report..you guys always have fun..

b20monster
08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
yeah, it was a fun day. HOT as F*CK!!!! short calicos were wide open... and if you didnt mind going back to the bait tank every 2 seconds, there was a chance of getting a legal one. I kinda lost my touch, tried going for 2 burritos, but was only able to eat one... *bummer*. good seeing the guys again. heal soon kevin... we all know what you can still do with the remaining two fingers.... juan, man up (but thanks for sharing the rail)... jimmy, umm, seriously i didnt mean to cut your line.

JapanRon
08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi K3vin_kim,

WTG guys !! Excellent report and pics .... as usual.

Appreciated,

JapanRon

k3vin_kim
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Hey Dara, you saw how they recognized the_l3gend when they saw me right?

SanDimasLMB
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice job kev.

I'll be sure to call you next time!

samgann93
08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
great report.

nice pics

gallogg
08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Kevin,

Good report and pics as always.
Way to represent NBU!

Sammy

Ricky-Ray
08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Great report. Man now I want some Korean BBQ.

b20monster
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM

oh yeah... free passes were given out... and calls to the OC Register were made. damn, i gotta go fishing with you more often. 1st class experience... SPITFIRE ROCKS!!

ghetto dad
08-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Great report k3vin.....too bad im retired, looks like fun.....i miss you homie....even B...wtf happened to his hair???? no more samoan chick :Sad:

ghetto dad
08-05-2008, 03:22 PM
i cant believe what we started guys.......we have created a monster...

GD

4g63power
08-05-2008, 05:12 PM
oh yeah... free passes were given out... and calls to the OC Register were made. damn, i gotta go fishing with you more often. 1st class experience... SPITFIRE ROCKS!!

and mad groupie love yo...life of a rockstar

k3vin_kim
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
you guys know i'm just messing around...

C'mon everyone who knows me - knows I'm really a modest guy.

troutdog
08-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Catalina on the Spitfire, always a great way to spend the day. Hope that finger feels better soon K3v....ouch!

TD

Oz
08-07-2008, 12:23 AM
damn i miss those koreran bbq moments after fishing. great report as always k3v.

yo B the BB monster....BURRIIITTTOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZ :ROFL:

b20monster
08-07-2008, 12:42 AM
jason,
are you still mad at me for stealing your burrito on Freedom.. ? im sorry bro.. lol. i'll definitely get you one next time we fish together. UMMMM..... so good!!

Oz
08-07-2008, 12:53 AM
i aint mad burrito buglar :ROFL:

i was just like wtf i wanted a damn burrito :LOL: ok the next one is on you homie :Cool:

ghetto dad
08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
you guys know i'm just messing around...

C'mon everyone who knows me - knows i'm really a modest guy.

lolololololololo!