PDA

View Full Version : First String 5/24/07

4g63power
05-25-2007, 07:54 PM
hey guys..finally took a day off from work and got out to wet my lines..i started calling around to see whats available after work..got a spot on the first string out of LA harbor..picked up ice..got gas..hauled my *** down to san pedro and checked in..

not too many pics were taken so short report..
left the dock at 9..stopped by at catalina..made more squid..than off we left to SCI..we picked up 6 yellows at our first stop..i got my first fish there..not bad ..things slowed down so we left to go look for them..then came back to where we fished earlier the day..and thats when it went wide open..we caught a mother load...it was insane..
128 yellowtails for 32 anglers..i was already tired after my 4th one..haha :roll: so i just sat back..had cold ones and watched others hooking up..
i used 1/2oz slider..some guys were using 1/8 and did fine too..stern huggers suck.lots of nasty tangles but very skilled crew did an awesome job working the deck..untangling..and sweet head gaffing :lol: ..fish were 10-15lb range..not big. not small.perfect eating size..JP was a lil more than 20lb
good fishing..hot galley food..cold beer..and good people..can't ask for a better day off than this..they are here..go get em guys..

PS:i finally had a chance to use my new TN20 that's been laying around in my room since last month..i have this spooled with 30lb mono..caught 2 fish on this..well..i mean..it's very nice..it casts nicely..very very smooth..but it was easier to bring em up with SA30..which i run 25lb mono with.trinidads dont have that raw power that saltigas have...its like where trinidad feels like its about to give up..saltiga just gets relentless..well everyone has different taste in reels but now i own both..i must say saltiga is a better reel..any thoughts?oh geez..what am i talking about..these were only 12lb yellows haha..

JapanRon
05-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi 4g63power,

WTG on the fishys. Thanks for the report and pics. Sounds like it was a fairly lite load for that boat.

Await your next adventure.

I fully understand that island yt fishing requires moving around on the wide-open bite and or lots of current. Saying that .....

Stern Huggers ? Does the First String have assigned numbers on the rail for anglers? or no numbers but first-come-first-serve on the stern spots?

Don't see any numbers in the pictures.

thanks,

JapanRon

Brad100
05-25-2007, 08:34 PM
.i was already tired after my 4th one..haha :roll: so i just sat back..had cold ones and watched others hooking up..

Dam, I thought I was the only one who did that!!! I love to catch fish but don't wanna work too hard... & I do enjoy a cool one and watching others catching fish!!!

Good job!!

cappo
05-25-2007, 10:03 PM
nice job on the yellers, thats one heck of a fish count

4g63power
05-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi 4g63power,

WTG on the fishys. Thanks for the report and pics. Sounds like it was a fairly lite load for that boat.

Await your next adventure.

I fully understand that island yt fishing requires moving around on the wide-open bite and or lots of current. Saying that .....

Stern Huggers ? Does the First String have assigned numbers on the rail for anglers? or no numbers but first-come-first-serve on the stern spots?

Don't see any numbers in the pictures.

thanks,

JapanRon
no numbers on the rail Ron..we rotated around..well some didn't ...

rcfb73
05-26-2007, 12:59 AM
nice report...im goin on my first overnighter out of san diego for yellows and albacore at the end of june...these pics are getting me anxious..

4g63.....GS-T engine, correct?

Nessie Hunter
05-26-2007, 08:07 AM
saltiga just gets relentless..well everyone has different taste in reels but now i own both..i must say saltiga is a better reel..any thoughts?oh geez..what am i talking about..these were only 12lb yellows haha..

First great report and the pics do tell the story.. :D

On the Saltiga. I agree Daiwa is a strong work horse, Full Metal Jacket reel maker for salt gear.

Testing that is just what you did. No better test then getting worn down on a WO bite.. You reach for the power..

Had the same situation in Cabo. After a dozen fish, back to back (most in 20# class) I wouldnt touch anything but the Daiwa, it made what little energy I had left, easier to use.

Raw power....

Im ready with a 2 speed this year.... :thumb:

hookemdano
05-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Awesome report & pics! :thumb:

ahhvtec
05-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Hot dawg! Way to to go Jimmy!

JapanRon
05-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi again 4g63power,

That's kinda what I figured as most of the bigger boats doing overnighters, day, and 1 1/2 day trips don't sport numbers.

For the newbie reader:

I blame some of the rail huggers that are on boats, going specifically for Tuna and Yellowtail, for their selfish actions but I also blame the skipper if guys don't move both to follow their bait or to make way for anglers with hook-ups.

My logic: Who should resolve this problem?

1) Fellow-patron- Works sometimes if the offender is just new and doesn't understand the routine. Otherwise hardcore jerks and or deadheads are going to be jerks and do whatever gives them an advantage.

2) Deckhands- Logically these are the guys that should manage the deck but alas ...... the real world kicks in and the deckhands find themselves between a rock and a hard place. That is .... Trying to force a patron can result in loss of income for the deckie ...... from one or more of the hardcore offenders.

3) Skipper- I feel the skipper is the person that should make the fishing rules clear, follow up, and enforce them on a skipper to individual angler basis.

I guess logic doesn't work because ..... I see on A HUGE PERCENTAGE of the moo-moos, even skippers that I like and respect in most areas don't normally make any move to set the jerks right. Again, I think it's in deferrence to the deckhand who makes a lot of his money on tips.

There is an interesting double-edged sword in a deck not enforcing the common-sense, productive way of fishing on the boat.

If lots of fish are lost because of the jerks that won't move during multiple hook-ups .... the deck loses money in two ways. 1) Usually fewer fish caught as opposed to hooked will make many patrons less generous and some even blame the deckhand for lost fish. 2) With less fish actually boated, the income from cleaning fish will be less. At the fee for cleaning a big YT or WSB presently, that's a lot of money the deck can see disappear with lost fish!!

On the other hand:

Some of the jerks that don't move out of the way or follow their bait are super-experienced anglers to the point they are essentially deadheads and make it their ego-booster to catch fish no matter what, and F anybody else at the rail! These guys with their attitude and heavy gear often put big numbers on the boat although not much in the decks pocket other than a percentage of the jackpot the deadheads often (on a percentage basis) win.

On a positive note, one dosen't usually encounter a bunch of these bad 'rail huggers' on a trip and with the right signals .... heh heh heh ... you can let the character know that you won't be bullied and you know his game which you can easily counter.

Just a quick thought for newbies planning to make a trip.

Again, await your next trip report,

JapanRon

SanDimasLMB
05-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Nice job out there, were you guys paddy hopping or metering on top of some fish?

Funjunkie74
05-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Very nice!!
I'll be heading out on the Tide Change tonight.
I can only hope my report will be filled with as many YTs as yours!!

Good job!!

Rail huggers suck! They're the same guys that complain that YOU'RE completely to blame when tangles happen. Like your line is any different??
Most times, these are the same people who do not know the simple concept of "stay in front of your line". Geez! You spent enough money on the $400 Trinidad on the the $300 Calstar...the least you can do is stay in front of your own damn line!

But I have found also that a subtle "dude, you really should watch your line" with a smile goes a long way too. Most people don't mind, since they didn't know or didn't realize that other people are trying to catch fish too... :D