PDA

View Full Version : Corona Del Mar-izzy

Liteliner
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Hit up corona for a few hours before work saturday morning. Arrived to ultra low tides and all you can eat salad bars. A good variety today. Anyways, I ended up fishing the jetty side after getting my fill of salad. Caught a 10 inch hali and a calico on the lc. Not picture worthy so didnt take any pics. Saw a guy throwin an LC and he got a legal butt and I watched him farm a very nice calico to the rock gods. Im gonna have to try that LC soon in the jetty.

doyoufishmuch
08-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Yea, im always way too afraid to toss my one lc off the rocks. Seems like it would be a costly 2 1/2 seconds for me, but im sure it would pay off if you could finesse through it all. Nice job, and good luck!

ddrahn
08-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I did try a repeat for the two butts last Saturday at CDM so spent the entire morning fishing the beginning of the jetty and the walkway with the LC. As Liteliner indicated, huge amount of salad in the water.

I did get the one 22 1/2" butt, however, the loss of the calico (about 15") was more aggravating. I was using a brand new LC and actually had the entire treble hook break off from the lure just as I got the calico up onto the rock. Any one else ever have that happen?

Oh yeah, also landed one seagull that though my LC was a real fish when it hit the water. Fortunately, it was only bill-hooked and I was able to release it rather quickly.

buttface
08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=ddrahn;222238]
I did get the one 22 1/2" butt, however, the loss of the calico (about 15") was more aggravating. I was using a brand new LC and actually had the entire treble hook break off from the lure just as I got the calico up onto the rock. Any one else ever have that happen?

Yep I've lost some huge fish becuase i didn't change out the stock trebles. Straightened shanks, broken shanks. I always change out the hooks on my new lc's.....

Liteliner
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I did try a repeat for the two butts last Saturday at CDM so spent the entire morning fishing the beginning of the jetty and the walkway with the LC. As Liteliner indicated, huge amount of salad in the water.

Oh yeah, also landed one seagull that though my LC was a real fish when it hit the water. Fortunately, it was only bill-hooked and I was able to release it rather quickly.

So that was you. It was nice meeting you for the brief moment. That calico looked alot bigger than 15 inches. Were you throwing the staysee lucky craft or was that the 128 pointer? It seemed alot bigger than my 110.

ddrahn
08-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I was using the 128 and I will continue to keep telling myself that the calico was no bigger than 15" - I don't want to be any more aggravated than I was. Actually, the bass wasn't long but it was very fat and heavy.

willis949
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I was out on a rental skiff Saturday and it was a tough day with artificials.I saw a couple guys hanging around the bait barge that caught some nice 2-3 lb spotties. I ended up with 3-4 small calicos and 4 barracuda one small hali and 3-4 small spotties.I drifted under the PCH bridge and it was pretty slow.

Wingnut
08-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the report. :Cool:

I also fished the low tide this morning and had my fill of the "all you can eat" salad bar. But made the best of it. :Twisted:

Rock or no rocks, I throw the LC with reckless abandonment... takes a little more TLC and finesse that's all. Fear no fish... let alone any inmovable objects. :Wink: