PDA

View Full Version : half day pm off Monte Carlo 22nd Street Landing

lizzay
08-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Inspite of all the sands and cals that have been hitting I decided to go, gave my bud a call and was on the pm Saturday afternoon. Got the side of the starboard so that was ok, wasn't too many people on the pm, I'd say give or take 20-25 so not too bad considering it's weekend and all. The captain said that the cudas were biting off the flats and at the horseshoe so off we went, very short boat ride which was best. The cudas were hitting at the bottom with drop loop on top of a 3oz. sinker or carolina rig with a 1oz barrel right at the hook (no swivel) then use live bait and it'll sit on top and the current will pick it up (for those of you that don't know) All in all it was a decent day since I haven't been out over 3 years on these charters. I caught 2 Sandbass, and 3 cudas but lost 2 times as much due to inconsiderate anglers or newbies tossing their lines right over mine or pointing their rod my way and bottom off my side. The highlight of the trip was when it was the weighing time for the jackpot. The guy fishing next to my bud and I was thought to win, so one of the deckhand took him aside and spoke to him quietly, I knew something was up. Well when it was time to weigh he was the top dog, I pulled out my cudas and one of them appeared bigger than his so I have it a try since I'm already in, well it turns out that my fish was the JACKPOT Winner!!! Now here is the downlow on this #%&*en boat! ON OUR WAY BACK TO THE PORT THE RUNNER UP TOLD ME THAT HE WASN'T EVEN IN THE JACKPOT, THE DECKHAND TOLD HIM THAT THEY WILL PRETEND THAT HE IS AND THEY WILL GIVE HIM A FREE PASS PROVIDED THAT THE CREW KEEPS ALL THE MONEY. IF THAT DIDN'T UPSET ME ENOUGH, I ONLY GOT $40 BUCKS OUT OF $60 (BOAT PERCENTAGE) AND I SAW AT LEAST 15 PEOPLE ON THE LIST. PLUS THEY ASKED FOR A 10 DOLLAR TIP ON TOP OF THAT. I had a great time but I think this boat is really shady, IMO. Just want to let you guys know, the deckhand was hard at work, just don't do the jackpot.

troutdog
08-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice job on the fish and JP Lizzay! If I were you I would have taken the Capt to the side and told him what was up and if he didn't cough up a few free passes you were going to post what happend all over the internet. I wont be going on the Monte Carlo anytime soon after hearing that crap! Thanks for looking out and keeping FNN in the loop, once again congrats on your JP cuda. :Thumbs Up:

TD

lizzay
08-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Nice job on the fish and JP Lizzay! If I were you I would have taken the Capt to the side and told him what was up and if he didn't cough up a few free passes you were going to post what happend all over the internet. I wont be going on the Monte Carlo anytime soon after hearing that crap! Thanks for looking out and keeping FNN in the loop, once again congrats on your JP cuda. :Thumbs Up:

TD

Thanks TD, when I was there a few years back, the crews were great, socialable, and most of all honest, especially when others that have gone with me hit the JP. Like I said, other than that they were working very hard for the anglers and newbies.

chris
08-03-2008, 11:06 AM
pretty shady schtuff goin on there. nice job on the jackpot though. that had to make you feel good.when i ride the city of long beach the crew gets a cut if they deck the fish for you.

lizzay
08-03-2008, 11:37 AM
pretty shady schtuff goin on there. nice job on the jackpot though. that had to make you feel good.when i ride the city of long beach the crew gets a cut if they deck the fish for you.

I don't mind the cut but I'm sure there were a lot more people on that jackpot. and the fact that when he opened up the yellow paper that the bills are in, it's supposed to have all the people that sign on the JP, well his paper was blank, hmm... go figure...

Liteliner
08-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Nice report. Thanks for the heads up. I just dont do jackpot anymore. It gets to be a headache. Last year i won a jackpot and the deckhand tells me its 150. I said keep it since i had an awesome day of fishing. He said thanks and he would clean my fish free of charge. Got close to port and captain sees me. Says you sure you wanna give the boat all 350 bucks of the jackpot to the boat. I was like wtf?? Kinda pissed off bout the deckie lyin but still told captain to keep half as I still had a great time. Didnt wanna make a big deal about it as this was one of my favorite boats so I just stay away from jackpots now.

lizzay
08-03-2008, 12:10 PM
that's a lot of mula dude!! I just don't like to feel ripped off and if the deckhands does this than I rather not give the landing my money and business. What I hate most is lying, cheating and bad business.

Hog Caller
08-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Theres too many good honest boats out there to deal with scamming lowlife deckhand thieves. Thanks for the heads up. I'll never get on that boat. If they'll do that. What else will they try. A thief is a thief is a thief.

At least you caught some fish.

H/C

Gmoney
08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
nice job on the JP
i hear ya on the shady characters......for those of us that enjoy TAKING CARE of the deckies cuz most of them work their azzes off....the worst thing is feeling like you are being ripped off or taken advantage of.
count me out on this boat!!

laters
G$

JapanRon
08-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Lizzay,

I'm JapanRon, and I'm a (long, long, since retired) deadhead. I went through a twelve step program that worked well. It's called calling it what it is (theft ... in its worst form) and above all else, growing up somewhat and ceasing to behave respectfully, through trickery, to fellow anglers !! The lowest of the low is the guy that talks, jokes, plays the buddy at the rail and then shafts the self same person in a heart-beat on the JP. Very immature, big-time character flaw.

That's one shallow, self-centered, low-self esteemed person !! Men, real men don't play childrens' games (Well .... maybe baseball is ok !!) ...... which is where deadheading comes from i.e. pinheading ... in bad operations!!

I never get in as I don't want to be looked on as a deadhead .... it's bad enough having people say in kind of an off-hand way ... betcha you're a regular .... as if I'm up to something !! ha ha ha

I tip the deckhand directly ..... in this way ..... some deadhead doesn't get a piece of OR the credit for MY MONEY !! ha ha ha You should see the look on their faces when they realize I'm serious !!

As many have said ..... being that deadheading is part and parcel of the culture on many boats ... be it policy or just what the decks do ... just don't get in the jackpot!!

Besides ...... if one gets in the jackpot ... one starts to fish for the jackpot which ..... might not be the most enjoyable fishing to the individual.

Kudos to you on the call but I cringe on these statements when ...... you didn't post the deckies name !! What's wth that !! Might as well REALLY play hardball.

Me, myself, and I's opinion,

And ..... way to go on the fish caught and glad that you were stoked ... in a good way .... most of the trip !!

Thanks for the report.

JapanRon

ghetto dad
08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Wow...shady.....thanks for the report liz......great job...

GD

lizzay
08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Lizzay,

I'm JapanRon, and I'm a (long, long, since retired) deadhead. I went through a twelve step program that worked well. It's called calling it what it is (theft ... in its worst form) and above all else, growing up somewhat and ceasing to behave respectfully, through trickery, to fellow anglers !! The lowest of the low is the guy that talks, jokes, plays the buddy at the rail and then shafts the self same person in a heart-beat on the JP. Very immature, big-time character flaw.

That's one shallow, self-centered, low-self esteemed person !! Men, real men don't play childrens' games (Well .... maybe baseball is ok !!) ...... which is where deadheading comes from i.e. pinheading ... in bad operations!!

I never get in as I don't want to be looked on as a deadhead .... it's bad enough having people say in kind of an off-hand way ... betcha you're a regular .... as if I'm up to something !! ha ha ha

I tip the deckhand directly ..... in this way ..... some deadhead doesn't get a piece of OR the credit for MY MONEY !! ha ha ha You should see the look on their faces when they realize I'm serious !!

As many have said ..... being that deadheading is part and parcel of the culture on many boats ... be it policy or just what the decks do ... just don't get in the jackpot!!

Besides ...... if one gets in the jackpot ... one starts to fish for the jackpot which ..... might not be the most enjoyable fishing to the individual.

Kudos to you on the call but I cringe on these statements when ...... you didn't post the deckies name !! What's wth that !! Might as well REALLY play hardball.

Me, myself, and I's opinion,

And ..... way to go on the fish caught and glad that you were stoked ... in a good way .... most of the trip !!

Thanks for the report.

JapanRon

To be quite honest with you ron, I don't know his name, it was the first time in about 3 years since I've stepped foot on this boat, let alone fish salt. What I can tell you is that he is the asian dude on the boat, looks a bit younger prob off from school or something I don't know but there is only one asian deckie on the boat. When my bud sends me my pics hopefully I can catch him in the background for you. Thanks for understanding and I will be a lot more careful and tip individually, I think that's best. Anyways, I'm gonna have a talk with the manager tomorrow, I'm not trying to make this a big deal but if a little work can destroy or lower the chances of someone getting suckered like this then I'm all in on it 100%. I mean c'mon, imagine if you or anybody else goes in on the JP (for pure fun nothing wrong with a little competition, hence tourneys) and you had the winning fish but some dude happened to outbeat you and he wasn't in the JP but he is per deckhand. You'd be pretty pissed to find that out, it's for those reasons I'm willing to take steps to not let it happen again.

Disclaimer: This is not a racial intention towards asian, I'm Cambodian/chinese for the record. This is simply the best way I can describe this fella for you guys to know and watch out for. He wears these dark shades all day, looks likes lokes (if that's how you spell it).

exfactor
08-03-2008, 06:48 PM
should have asked to see the sign up sheet, and checked yourself. Would have put him in his place that way. They have to turn in sheet at office afterwards, it's the law.

fishindude420
08-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Great job out there bro,Thanks for the heads up man. Ill make sure not to waste any of my money on that boat. thats frkn bs man!

fishon714
08-04-2008, 03:17 AM
the winning fish but some dude happened to outbeat you and he wasn't in the JP but he is per deckhand. You'd be pretty pissed to find that out, it's for those reasons I'm willing to take steps to not let it happen again.

Just be thankful you didn't get your equipment and jackpot fish stolen. That's a hardcore boat for hardcore fishermen. I bring my gameface when I get on that boat.

fishingminds
08-04-2008, 06:38 AM
About the jackpot issue

Gmoney
08-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Just be thankful you didn't get your equipment and jackpot fish stolen. That's a hardcore boat for hardcore fishermen. I bring my gameface when I get on that boat.

WHAAAAAAAAT???
a hardcore boat for hardcore fishermen.....dishonesty and theft is not what i call a HARDCORE fishing crew.
how about hardcore *** wipes!!!!
Bring your game face.....why even get on a boat where you are worried about getting your gear ripped off??

you totally lost me on this one....I hope im just misunderstanding you

G$

cappo
08-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Screw that boat, never will fish it now. Thanks for the heads up. The crew should never ask for a tip, they should earn it.

lizzay
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey guys,
Apparently I did not realize what this would do. I have to comment, the boat is fine, the decks are hard at work (despite the obvious) the capt. really put people on the fish, it's a very comfortable boat. It's just a couple situation with one deckhand (from my knowledge) and that is it. I would just be a lot more careful with the JP, maybe once everyone's in ask to see it and do the calculations ahead of time, that way if you win the dude will know that you are on point with the reward and so forth. I've only fish the Monte carlo on half day trips plenty of times. I've gone 2 summers straight at least once every week on a half day with them years back, and I sometimes would double up my half day. I had so much fun on this boat, I always had better results on half day with them for some reason, the capt. I'm sure has no knowledge. I would like to at least talk to him to feed him some info so he can do his job and do what needs to be done. I probably will never fish on this landing again, at least for now, because the comfort isn't there, but don't let any of this discourage you. We're there to fish right? I would say just no transactions on this boat. So L.A. Harbor here I come!!!

Ricky-Ray
08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Congrat's on JP. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've personally had too many problems wth 1/2 day boats. Either it's the angler, crew or whatever so I personally don't fish them anymore. Lot's of other great boat's out there with great captains and deckhands that won't screw you out of money. Just my 2 cents.

I'll admit I've deadheaded a few times and I still do a couple of times a year but that's because the captain invites me to come along. When I do go on those trips I do not get in on the jackpot that way there is no argument that can start if I got the biggest fish of the day.

lizzay
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Congrat's on JP. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've personally had too many problems wth 1/2 day boats. Either it's the angler, crew or whatever so I personally don't fish them anymore. Lot's of other great boat's out there with great captains and deckhands that won't screw you out of money. Just my 2 cents.

I'll admit I've deadheaded a few times and I still do a couple of times a year but that's because the captain invites me to come along. When I do go on those trips I do not get in on the jackpot that way there is no argument that can start if I got the biggest fish of the day.

What's dreadhead??? please excuse me...

Ricky-Ray
08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Deadhead is someone that goes on the boat for free.

cappo
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
What's dreadhead??? please excuse me...

you know the guy that gets the best baits, and tries to push people out of their stern spots.

Ricky-Ray
08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
you know the guy that gets the best baits, and tries to push people out of their stern spots.

That's not me. Maybe some other deadheads are like that but not me. I will get out of the way or if need be cut my line so the other guy has his shot of getting his fish in. I grab my bait's out of the same bait tank as everyone else. If I don't like what I see I'll ask the one of the guys to put some more in the bait wells.

The only advantage I get from them is I got on for free on that trip.

Hey Cappo don't take it like I'm yelling back at you or something like that. I'm just pointing it out that I'm not one of those types of guys. I don't want to be labeled as them.

cappo
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
i know bro, not all are like that but too many are.