PDA

View Full Version : 8-2-08 CDM Kelp

bergie berg
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey all, I am not sure if this is in the right forum but here it goes. My dad and I paddled out to the kelp outside of Corona Del Mar with some live anchovies for a couple hours of flylining fun. We had quite a few nice hits that we missed (we haven’t flylined in about a year and are rusty) but we had a lot of fun. My dad caught a calico and a sandie, and I only managed a sculpin. However, the catch of the day went to my dad with a 10-15 lb bat ray that hit his flylined anchovy. We were all excited trying to convince ourselves we had some kind of shark or something, when deep down we knew it was a bat ray lol. It was kind of weird that it hit a flylined anchovy though, but it was fun to fight on the yak. I only snapped a few pics so I figured I might as well include them. Anyway this is a very fishy area and we will be back soon armed with plastics, jigs, etc. Everything was released.

Thanks for reading, Thomas

supasportkid
08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
pretty cool pattlin rite up to the kelp! good job on the fish!

megafisher94
08-03-2008, 10:43 AM
sounds like a fun time... by the way, were you at eisenhower park earlier that day???? i talked to someone who said he was going out there but wasnt sure if he was an fnn member

chris
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
nice i've been wanting to get my yak out there

Wingnut
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Good times, thanks for the report. :Cool:

Those Rays can really give you the run for your money, especially on a tube or a kayak. :Big Grin:

kwest10
08-03-2008, 05:02 PM
how far is the paddle from the harbor entrance? I thought that area was a protected marine sanctuary.

bergie berg
08-03-2008, 10:43 PM
thanks everyone for the replies, megafishier94 we were not at eisenhower park earlier in the day sorry. And kwest10 if you head out of the harbor hang a hard left and paddle what I guess would be east (the harbor faces south) the kelp starts right at the end of the CDM beach in front of those cliff hanger houses. And as far as it being a marine sanctuary we saw five or six other guys on kayaks out there fishing, so I dont think it is a problem but if you know something I don't please let me know!!!

kwest10
08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
http://www.ocmarineprotection.org/mpa_sites_and_regulations.php

I don't know where the exact boundaries are though. I've been told several things from
stay away from it or that the edge of the kelp bed is ok or only motorized boats are not allowed or only commercial vessels are not allowed.

crivera175
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
thats a nice picture of the ray