PDA

View Full Version : Hali fly rod?

tacklejunkie
08-02-2008, 07:07 AM
What size and weight of a fly rod do you use for halibut?
Will the same fly rod work for fresh water bass?
I'd like to pick up a combo that will be good for both, but I understand that may not be the case.

Any info on a good Bass/Hali fly rod would be sweet. I've never even thought about flicking a fly into the surf so I don't really know where to begin. Also, my current fly rod is too light for bass. I've lost at least 4-5 bass on that puppy by now..

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Whats up casey? I fish for bass,and halibut,with my 8wt. Its got the balls to handle any fish in our local bays, and lakes.last year using those large bass pro shop poppers with the 8wt. The 2 to3lb bass ,were no problem. Like in my report using that 5wt, on that 3.5 lmb i landed the other day. That rod was to light to pull that bigger fish thru the moss. By the grace of god, i got lucky not to break her ,off with the 4lb leader. Ive switched to the 8 wt for the bass at the pudd. If you go over 8 wt. A 10wt is not comfortable to cast all day. Try the 8wt. ,and you cant go wrong. Im no expert.ive only been fly fishing for 2.5 yrs. But you know i catch a ton of fish with my fly rods. Give me a jingle some time to do a salt trip some sunday early. See you again sometime. And god bless....mike the pmb.....

tacklejunkie
08-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I actually bought a cheep $30 5wt 9' 2pc fly rod from sport chalet just in case I do any fishing in lakes for trout, but I quickly found out even that is too light for a 3-4lb bass.

I hooked a bass with it once at Angler's Lake before they closed on a home tied panfish popper that I tied to look like a bumble bee. There was 3-4 dinks circling the popper when I stripped it close to a weed line. All the sudden this fat 3-4lb bass jumped out of the weeds and nailed it hard on the surface spooking away the other dinks around it. The rod was bendo like crazy but two jumps later the bass had shook the hook and I could tell I had nothing on him as far as control or hookset. That might have been the fish to take me into the backing on my reel :LOL:

I guess I will try an 8wt. What length are you using? Something that will do for bass and Hali's equally well I could definitely see adding to my rod pile.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
08-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Casey when i first got into fly rods this old timer told me dont go cheap on the rod. I like the temple fork lefty pro seris there like in the 150.00 range and are light.