PDA

View Full Version : 2day quest on the ELDORADO 7-27/7-29

mstr fish
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Headed out on my first 2 day with a few friends aboard the Eldorado out of Point Loma Sportfishing. Started out getting some bait and before were off the deck hands noticed that the bait(chovies & sardines) was already starting to roll. Great eye deckies. We ended up leaving towards our destination 2 hours late. No biggie though had the deckies not caught the bait situation when they did we would have really had problems later. Not really knowing what to expect I had alot of questions. Fortunate for me the crew was way cool and we also had a few Izorline pro staff with us. All of them were happy to answer some questions. The first night it was hard to sleep as I was so anxious to try my luck. I told myself that if I can just catch one this trip would be worth it. Finally morning came and I got to see how they set up for the troll. It was not long after they got set up that we fell upon our first patty(kelp right) Half the boat was still asleep so the captain gives his signal and I cast. It is not long before bam hit. I panicked thumbed the spool burnt my finger put it gear and broke off. **** Lesson learned. Let your reel work for you. LOL. Ran to get my back up rod cast out. BAM your mine sucker. Landed my first yellow tail. All the meanwhile I am hearing some new termonology Hot rail, Color, Etc. It was a great first day for me 2 yellow tail and 2 Dorado. It was amazing to see the Dorados color when they are coming up. I did not do as good as some on the first day but I had already accomplished my mission to catch at least one. Finished the day off with a great steak dinner complete with baked potatoe, veggies, and a dinner roll. When we anchored for the night I noticed that there was some small squid circling the boat so tried to catch a couple of those to. The captain was cool to lend us his pole with a squid jig on it. Ended up with a few of those all released. Day 2 I ended up with 2 Dorado. I had a great time with this trip including catches all firsts for me. The crew did an awesome job. I would like to thank Captain Eddie, Butch, Jermaiah, Trevor, Dave(great steak, breakfasts, and burgers), and the other I forgot your name. The Izorline pro staff Howard, I forgot your name and especailly Alan for teaching me how to tie a couple of knots as well as helping my friend and I get bit for the first time. I was using my 2 new avet mxj with spectra backing and 25lb/30lb p-line top shot. Also had 25lb and 30lb floro leaders about 3 feet with 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. Paired with a Kencor that my friend picked up for me and a Big5 special. (yeah it worked LOL) Hoped you all enjoy my report and here are a couple of pics.....................................fish
P.S Total for the bot was 132 yellowtail, 50 Dorado, and 1 Mako

supasportkid
07-31-2008, 07:26 PM
great report!! cool pics, good job on the fish!

Oz
07-31-2008, 07:37 PM
wtg on your first YT's and DODO's...congrats man :Cool:

calico killer kevin
07-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time.

JapanRon
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi mstr fish,

WTG on the learning experience, fish, and report/pics. Expect lots more reports from you in the future.

JapanRon

Ricky-Ray
07-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Great report. Congrat's on your first yellowtail and dodo. Look forward to more reports.

sansou
07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Very cool! Congrats on the many "firsts" for you too!!

dirthead
08-01-2008, 02:53 AM
sounds like you had a great trip. eddie moreno runs a 1st class operation. great capt. and crew on the eldorado.

ironshrimp
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
what a cool experience sounds like you had a blast

congrats on the first of many to come

jsl
08-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Great job on the fish and report to boot!! Sounds like you had a blast out there.

Scott

ghetto dad
08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Nice job man......thanks alot....LOL at Eddie (i think thats Eddie) on top of the house posing for that shot!!

GD