PDA

View Full Version : Man Killed by sinker! Let's be careful out there!

Fish Dog
07-31-2008, 06:46 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/longisland/ny-lifish305782274jul30,0,2052483.story

Granny Fish
07-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Hard to believe that a sinker could backlash with such force as enter at the bridge of the nose and continue on through the left side of his head. Something doesn't sound right about this story.

chris
07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
that's almost unbelievable. I wonder what test line would sling shot that weight through his head

hughpam
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
There's something fishy here.

r!der
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
WOW Very sad! That must have been some heavy gear he was using.
For sure a freak accident, but I say it's possible. Like a 3 ounce triangle weight being sling shotted point first into the face. I dunno. Anything is possible.

DarkShadow
07-31-2008, 09:22 AM
I wonder if having eye protection might alleviated or deflected some of the impact.

Another reason to have proper eye protection with lenses that won't shatter.

sweetfish
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't know about this. This is a truly sad tragedy, but this doesn't sound right. If the sinker hit the water and back at him, wouldn't the water slow down the velocity of the sinker? It would be possible though if he was using a pyramid sinker and 3oz. weight. Man that sinker must have been huge.

r!der
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know how many FPS it would need to travel at, but it doesn't seem impossible.

Tragic for sure!

SanDimasLMB
07-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Its possible no doubt. It is a hunk of metal.

Maybe we should submit this to MythBusters?

bchbum54
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Jaime Chicas, 21, was fishing off a jetty at the west end of Jones Beach on Friday when his 3-ounce lead sinker came out of the water and hit him in the face and then lodged in his brain.

Dude, he must have been hung up on a rock and was trying to break free. Now i dont know how he had his line set up but if he was using a leader and the weight was on his main line. With enough force its possible that the leader could have snapped, flinging the wieght into his face. How sad.

BIGRED KILLA
07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
It might have been hung around some kelp with some heavy line it could happen.

DavidE
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
David killed Goliath with a sling shot.

oh yea and Jonie loves Chachie

IslandBoi
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
and my wife thinks fishing isn't hazardous.....

that sucks, talk about a bad day fishing.....

mg2969
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Its kinda jacked that they would have to mention he was an illegal

"He had come to the United States illegally about a year ago and was looking for work in Long Island. "

I don't wanna get into a whole debate about illegals one way or the other but does it really have anything to do with the story ?

HBJapo
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I wonder if having eye protection might alleviated or deflected some of the impact.

Another reason to have proper eye protection with lenses that won't shatter.

Hockey helmet, full face shield, wear one EVERYWHERE! I do. No one ever seems to forget you.

Japo :Envious:

Fish Dog
07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Its kinda jacked that they would have to mention he was an illegal

"He had come to the United States illegally about a year ago and was looking for work in Long Island. "

I don't wanna get into a whole debate about illegals one way or the other but does it really have anything to do with the story ?

I this case, I'd say no. But that's typical news media for ya... sensationalism no matter what!!

Granny Fish
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hockey helmet, full face shield, wear one EVERYWHERE! I do. No one ever seems to forget you.

Japo :Envious:

I know I wouldn't. :ROFL:

willis949
08-01-2008, 09:02 PM
He was probably using torpedo sinkers and was snagged.His buddies were leaving and he was hurrying to leave and decided to yank it directly towards himself and the line broke between the weight and the hook sending it directly at his eye

ghetto dad
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Hard to believe that a sinker could backlash with such force as enter at the bridge of the nose and continue on through the left side of his head. Something doesn't sound right about this story.

this is strange, i know i posted a reply on this last night...

it can happen granny.....just a heads up guys, if you are EVER hung in kelp, whether it be a paddy or kelp around an island, do not EVER pull on it holding your rod tip up! PULL DOWNWARDS!! Mono stretched hard is like a rubber band/slingshot.....one of my regulars years ago got hit in the head with only a 1/2 oz slider, and got knocked out!! The guy was hung on a kelp patty, and started pulling hard with his tip up..just as we were gonna yell at him "TIP DOWN!!!", it came FLYING out of the kelp at about 100 mph, hit the guy in the head, and he got knocked out for about 2 minutes..so with a 3 oz, that DEFINITELY can happen...so take my advice guys and girls, be careful....

GD

ghetto dad
08-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't know about this. This is a truly sad tragedy, but this doesn't sound right. If the sinker hit the water and back at him, wouldn't the water slow down the velocity of the sinker? It would be possible though if he was using a pyramid sinker and 3oz. weight. Man that sinker must have been huge.

depends on how shallow the water was, and he may have been hung up in some kelp.....it CAN happen....

GD

Badfish2
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
That's crazy, from the description..does sound like he was yanking on the line trying to get the weight dislodged and it came loose and hit him in the face? :???: I don't know.. but either way that's nuts

jerryG
08-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I got this off the web a few years ago from a news story. According to the story the guy survived. They the weight entered through his socket. I believe he did loose his eye but at least lived to tell about it. The accident took place in England or some part of Europe I don't rember but the picture says it all.

Jerry G

ghetto dad
08-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I got this off the web a few years ago from a news story. According to the story the guy survived. They the weight entered through his socket. I believe he did loose his eye but at least lived to tell about it. The accident took place in England or some part of Europe I don't rember but the picture says it all.

Jerry G

Hey Jerry...i figured another old skooler would chime in......that x-ray hurts man....

sansou
08-02-2008, 10:03 PM
It's a good thing he had a swivel, or his line would have twisted.

ghetto dad
08-02-2008, 10:39 PM
It's a good thing he had a swivel, or his line would have twisted.

dude...thats just wrong man......wrong.........:ROFL::ROFL: