PDA

View Full Version : Dana Report/ Odd results

ikeman
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Just a thought...
Fished Dana Harbor last evening with a 6.8 High Tide @ 7:30pm. Water a little murky, possibly because of the earthquake in the afternoon. This is perfect tide/ evening situation for fishing the rocks and weeds lining the walls in the Harbor. A normal, 1-1/2 hr session, with an evening high tide, yields me around 10-12 fish, sometimes better. Fished with my buddy same results.

Last evening though, was very slow fishing. Ended up with 2 spotties, 1 small calico and a very small sculpin. Bites were tentative, and off for the species caught.

I was trying to think back if I was ever fishing on a day there was an earthquake and couldn't think if one time. My question is, has or had anybody else noticed the same results yesterday or any other 'quake fishing periods? Maybe the fish get spooked like animals and get clear of the rocks, I don't know. Maybe they get in the channel and wait it out for a day or so, maybe making the channel better fishing. Possibly open area fishing or in the surf is better, or not affected as much , as the rocks.

Just a thought. I would like to hear if anyone has any ideas or facts on the matter.

I am going this evening again and will post if I find any significant increase in catch.

BTW- Anyone been up to Eastern Sierras? My father and I are going up by Lee Vining/ Bridgeport, East Walker areas in Early Sept. for our annual fly fishing trip. Wondering what the water flows are like this year. Heard the bugs are out of control!

Jeff

exfactor
07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Fished the lake from 2 to 5 pm yesterday for 50 crappie, so I didn't notice any repercussions from the quake. However, they did stop biting when we were getting ready to leave.

flyngby
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Jeff,

Took the boat out early in NPH on 7-29 and it actually started of with a good bite although they were of the smaller variety!!!!

We we were on our way to the Pipes off HB when it did hit but we did not notice a thing!!!!
Imagine that being on a rolling ocean.

Any way it did seem to be slow out there today and I wish I could blame it on anything other than a slow time on the water but I seem to be in a lull lately.

Posting my report next. Not much to look at though!!!!!!!1

Steve

supasportkid
07-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Hopefully the quake makes for a better end of our fishin season!

i go to bridgeport every year in august, this will be my first year missin out though. we stay in the robinson creek areas. last year there were no bugs around, just bears!! the year before the mosquitos were out of control though! no matter what, a trip to bridgeport is always some good fishin!! good luck.

dont forget to stop by the Rhino Room and have a beer, and one of their delicious pizzas!

ikeman
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your input guys,

Just was odd, thats all. Again, I fish there about 3 evenings a week and when a high tide and evening coincide, it's great fishing.

Last night was worse than Tuesday. 2 Queenfish for me and my buddy pulled a bait sized sculpin. A few short bites and that was it. I tried all combos and nada. FYI- go to set up this spring/summer has been a 1/16 or 1/8oz jig and a 3" Gulp! minnow. Everyone else fishing, the same thing, nada.

Oh well maybe Mitch and I are just losing our touch.

supasportkid - Rhino's is great! Good luck up there and remember the deet! Should be good!

J12
07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
been fishing NPH docks post quake and noticed that smaller sized fish are hitting and the bigguns are not out to play.