PDA

View Full Version : East Beach SB Sunday morning

Liteliner
07-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Took the long road north in search of the elusive dinner sized halibut. Got to east beach in santa barbara around 6:30. I pretty much threw everything in my tackle box. Threw the lc for two hours straight for nothing. My feet got taken out by a giant rogue wave and I had to swim a bit. Called it a day after that which was around 11 am with a skunk.

BIGRED KILLA
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Thats to bad but i think we all have these days lol better luck next time thanks for the report.

Bigred

Simplyeman
07-29-2008, 07:54 PM
after watching "deadliest catch" when i hear "rogue wave" i picture this massive 50 foot wave. Heading out to SB tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.

Liteliner
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
after watching "deadliest catch" when i hear "rogue wave" i picture this massive 50 foot wave. Heading out to SB tomorrow, hopefully all goes well.

Lol. This rogue wave wasnt that big. I was waist deep and the wave crashed on me. Took me under for a second. Good luck.

Wingnut
07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I was fishing with Phuong (Blackwater) at Bolsa Chica sometime last year when I first started surf fishing. A rogue wave flipped me upside down. I lost one of my rigs and had to perform a wader escape routine. :Evil:
I learned a very important lesson that day. Never underestimate the ocean.

If you spend enough time out in the surf, the question isn't whether or not if you're going to get hit by a rogue wave... the question is when will you be hit by a rogue wave, right Dana? :Envious:

Glad you're okay... be careful out there. :Cool:

Simplyeman
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Lol. This rogue wave wasnt that big. I was waist deep and the wave crashed on me. Took me under for a second. Good luck.

ouch, glad you got out safe:Thumbs Up:

gavin310
07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey liteliner, just curious, was there much seaweed in the water? I was in Santa Barbara around 3pm and there was quite a bit. Also how was the water visibility?

Liteliner
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Visibility was good. Lots of salad around the rocks. Other then that it was pretty clean when I was there. How did you do?

Liteliner
07-30-2008, 09:36 AM
I was fishing with Phuong (Blackwater) at Bolsa Chica sometime last year when I first started surf fishing. A rogue wave flipped me upside down. I lost one of my rigs and had to perform a wader escape routine. :Evil:
I learned a very important lesson that day. Never underestimate the ocean.

If you spend enough time out in the surf, the question isn't whether or not if you're going to get hit by a rogue wave... the question is when will you be hit by a rogue wave, right Dana? :Envious:

Glad you're okay... be careful out there. :Cool:

Yeah i need to get myself a pfd. Any suggestions??

fish_sauce
07-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Glad you're okay dude.

the last time that happened to me...which was only a few months ago...both my camera and my fone got a good dunking in the nice salt water...not to mention my waders were also filled up with water like a balloon, and yes, i too, did the wader escape routine...:ROFL: felt so stupid, since the whole thing happened right in front of a lifeguard station and he saw the whole thing, and was about to take action :Neutral:

Thanks for the report. the swells are pretty high this week...

Wingnut
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah i need to get myself a pfd. Any suggestions??

Any of these will do, but the wrap around the waist style is the most comfortable. Make sure that you get the "Manual" deploy version not the automatic, or it will go off when you wade too deep in the surf. :Wink:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture060.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Wingnut3/Picture002.jpg

gavin310
07-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Visibility was good. Lots of salad around the rocks. Other then that it was pretty clean when I was there. How did you do?

I didn't do very well. Must have been the timing I guess. The visibility wasn't good and tons of stringy seaweed all over. :(

Simplyeman
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I just got back from SB as well....and in the area i was fishing there was salad everywhere kept losing my setup left within 20 mins:Envious: