PDA

View Full Version : Cdm 7/26 am

ddrahn
07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I had a chance to hit up Corona Del Mar on Saturday, fishing from about 0615 to 1045. Beautiful day although a little windy and quite a bit of salad off the end of the jetty. I had told my wife that I was going to try for a butt, so I started out fishing along the walk way. First cast of the day with a LC100 (next to the little finger jetty that sticks out), I nailed a nice 22" keeper butt, much to my surprise. I humped him back to the cooler in the truck and moved out to the end of the jetty. Not much happening there, although picked up a couple of macks, a large 16" smelt, a short calico and a blue perch on shrimp. I did see a nice size zebra perch pulled in (using seaweed) by some other folks.

I decided to head back to the walkway as not much was happening and within 5 minutes of reaching it, I had already nail a 12" and 15" halibut on another LC. Unfortunately, the second was thrashing around so much that I ended up with the hook (past the barb) embedded in my finger. After 10 minutes of self-surgery I had it out and was back to fishing. Within 5 minutes I hooked up what was probably at 23 to 24" butt that came off the lure as I got up onto the rocks. I figured that was going to be it for the end of the day but I thought I would try a few more casts (just in case). About 8 casts later, I felt that very familiar head-shaking, got him up to the rocks, and promptly through myself on the butt to avoid losing another one. After about a minute of wrestling it in the water I was able to get it up and out - 27" and 8 lbs - my largest to date.

Both butts went home with me as it has been a while (several years) since I picked up a legal. Overall, a super day that I won't soon forget.

camrydad
07-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Very cool, congrats on the butts. I'm about to go out there in the day or two. Hopefully I will have similar results.

SheepGun
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Killer Day for sure! Know your glad you returned for the Hali's! You nailed'em. Even with the hooked finger..awesome wetline'n.

4g63power
07-29-2008, 06:10 PM
cool dude! i like fishing that place..too bad it's so far away from where i live haha..i was down there a couple of weeks ago and caught a few pencil cudas..good job
on the legals bro..thanks for the report!

tacklejunkie
07-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Nice fish! :Thumbs Up:

fish_sauce
07-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Nice Catches!

It's always a good fishing day when you land your legal on the very first cast! Congrats on the PB, and thanks for the report. :Cool:

gavin310
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Very nice!

jplee3
07-30-2008, 08:32 AM
NICE! I caught a 19" out there a couple years ago. Still have yet to catch my first legal though. I should get back out there some time. It's been hard getting myself anywhere with gas prices :T

J12
07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
that sounds like a fun day great job!

PUDD MASTER BAITER
07-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Thats awesome. I like that jetty, and beach. As far as barbs, i file all barbs off on all my crankbaits, and most of my hooks ,ive had to many days ruined of fishing in 50yrs sitting in the emergency room. Thanks for the report ,and good luck next time . God bless ... Mike the pmb....

chris
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM
awesome congrats to you

hugo c
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
A day to remember for sure. Nice going.