PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 07-28

davidth626
07-29-2008, 12:36 PM
decided to head out on the spitfire for my friends last trip of the summer. got to the landing around 530, the boat headed out around 630 with 30 or so people. was hoping there would be less like last Monday's count, but oh well. the boat got to the spot at Catalina around 930, 10 am, Calicoes, upon calicoes galore! to bad almost 90 percent were short. on the first 2 spots almost every cast ill get a short. wasn't until the 3rd that i finally got a legal. there were some shouts of "YELLOW!!!! OVER THERE GETIM!!!" my friend and i started to get extra tired of unhooking short calicoes, plus our thumbs were starting to lose their skin from the calicoes sharp lil teeth. so we decided to go bottom and landed a few sheephead. in the end it wasn't so bad. well actually i guess it was bad because i checked the counts for the redondo special and they beat the spitfire for calicoes, sad.. Never Spitfire or any 3/4 again if im going for fish which i can get locally.
our tally for keepers
my count: 1 sheephead, 1 calico, 1 rockfish and one BAD sunburn
friend 1: 2 sheephead
friend 2: 4 calicoes

JapanRon
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi davidth626,

Sorry to hear of the sorry fish count. Still had to be fun going to Catlina and all. To me, just going to Catalina on a 3/4 is a treat !! Besides .... there's really no chance of a Yellowtail or WSB at the 'Shoe' or 'Flats' presently.

Going often to Catalina is the very reason I'd hook up with the Spitfire !! Last 3/4 Victory trip over there fishing the front side ..... 8 ... 8 WSB !! Ya just never know !!

Fish bait, iron, or plastics ?

JapanRon

one_leg
07-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, what Tsurkichi said. That was just an anomaly.

You would be hard pressed to have that happen on a regular basis.

Congrats to you on the fish you did catch.

O_L

ghetto dad
07-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the report man.....but....someone yelled "yellowtail" and you guys decided to drop to the bottom???

GD

cappo
07-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the report man.....but....someone yelled "yellowtail" and you guys decided to drop to the bottom???

GD

LOL thats what i was thinking. Maybe he thought they shouted yellowtail grouper?

thanks for the report. I might go on spitfire on monday.

Oz
07-29-2008, 08:44 PM
thats a first...someone yells YT and u got bottom fishing??? well wtg anyways on what u caught. as long as u giys had a blast thats all that matters :Cool:

ghetto dad
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
thats a first...someone yells YT and u got bottom fishing??? well wtg anyways on what u caught. as long as u giys had a blast thats all that matters :Cool:

He didnt wanna oz em...lmfao......those yellows pull too hard anyways, huh...too much work.....:Big Grin:

GD

ghetto dad
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL thats what i was thinking. Maybe he thought they shouted yellowtail grouper?

thanks for the report. I might go on spitfire on monday.

Must be nice, all you ballers......joe and his crew, you and oz.....i might as well sell my gear, huh??? peace

GD

davidth626
07-29-2008, 11:10 PM
o0o no that was at i think the 2nd spot they yelled out yellow tail we started going bottom at the 3rd 4th spot, and was getting hit off the live bait, no one was getting anything off plastics or irons.

ghetto dad
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
o0o no that was at i think the 2nd spot they yelled out yellow tail we started going bottom at the 3rd 4th spot, and was getting hit off the live bait, no one was getting anything off plastics or irons.

ok man, thanks....we were worried about you there for a minute

GD

Oz
07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
He didnt wanna oz em...lmfao......those yellows pull too hard anyways, huh...too much work.....:Big Grin:

GD

yea i guess im not as talented as u steve...i'm beneath you :Rolls Eyes:

Must be nice, all you ballers......joe and his crew, you and oz.....i might as well sell my gear, huh??? peace

GD

ok bitterdad