PDA

View Full Version : That little spring...GRRRRRRRRR!

Fish Dog
05-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Ok, I'm old school when it comes to my party boat gear. I've been using my Jigmasters, Squidders, 6/0's, 4/0's, and 3/0's for years and catching fish on them just fine so I don't see a need for a $250 Avert, Pro Gear or something like that. One thing I am way overdue on, because of some family health issues that have now pretty much been resolved, is the maintenance. So, this past month I've been re-wrapping some of my original Sabre, Tureline and Lamaglass rods, (I did bow to technology on these and am updating them to Fuji guides), and this week I'm doing the drags in all the reels. Well, I refuse to pay someone to do this as it's generally a simple process so I'm doing it myself. The only problem I'm having, which I always have, is the little tiny spring for the anti-reverse dog. The 4/0's and 6/0's are pretty easy and the Jigmaster's aren't to bad but that damn spring in the Squidder's and the 3/0's are a pain in the butt! It never fails that I shoot a few of them across the garage as I try to get them in, never to be seen again! This means I'm headed back to the tackle store to buy a few of them. I think I'll buy about 4 or 5 for each reel the I can hopefully get one in before I loose them all! I should have know and bought a bunch of them when I picked up the drag washers (like I didn't know this was going to happen?)...sorry, just venting.. :x

Nessie Hunter
05-25-2007, 09:14 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do a lot of reels also.. Penn's can be a pain with that spring.. They change the configuration of it depending on model and year.. The little flat one drives me nuts trying to get it back in. The coiled free floater that presses on anti revers pron is hard to get in place also..

I slide both types in place as I replace the bridge plate and its a hit and miss project.. Have to take it apart several times, every now and then, but im getting better at it..

I use some fine point curved tweezers and dental picks, & chunk of grease helps a lot...

I have not had the "pleasure" of one springing away yet, when taking apart. I think the fear of that happening makes me be careful and slow as it comes apart... :evil: :lol: :lol:

Are you upgrading to HT100 or Carbon fiber??? Highly recomended, they are awesome with a little Cals drag Grease, I much prefer the wet (greased) drags.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Lots of drag options & parts, and she is awesome and fast to deal with...

Also if you need schematics Mikes has more then any other site I have found.
http://mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/

Old School RULES.... :lol:

JapanRon
05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Fish Dog,

Nessie Hunter is right on !! .............. as usual.

That little bit of grease, not oil, will slow the spring in that puppies step like the Marines and the sands of Iwo Jima!!

Wipe off excess after assembly and all is well! I don't like WD-40 for clean up of internals.

JapanRon