PDA

View Full Version : Saturday and Sunday sucked.

gavin310
07-28-2008, 08:05 PM
(Be forewarned there is nothing happy about this report.)

On Friday I had my mind set on having a freshly caught halibut dinner, or even just catching a short. I didn't care, I wanted to feel a hali on my line. I never have. So Saturday I drove to Crystal Cove (near Laguna Beach) for the evening high tide for some surf fishing. Weeds everywhere. Every cast I had a bowl of salad on my lure after the first or second crank of the reel. Not one to give up easily, I reeled in bundle after bundle of salad for about an hour. On the way home, I made up my mind to go out early Sunday morning and drive north towards Malibu/Ventura, hoping whatever stirred up the weeds down south didn't make its way north. So I got to my favorite spot at the Malibu/Ventura border at sunrise. Medium surf, poor visibility, and heaps of salad with every cast. Every now and then the water would clear up for about 5 minutes, but the salad was still too much to handle. So, I drove north even more towards Carpinteria. Next stop had much less salad and decent surf, but poor visibility. Every now and then I'd get a break in the visibility for maybe 3 to 5 minutes, but that's it. I lost my Krocodile to some kelp under the water. So I headed even further north and, remembering Wingnut's incredible Santa Barbara fishing fiesta, I went all the way to Goleta and found a great spot. Still salad on every 2 out of 3 casts, but not horrible. Visibility was also good, but by now it just wasn't prime time. Fished for about 30 minutes when some guy told me they've been catching a bunch of halibut up north a bit near this golf course, and they weren't catching any at the stop I was at. So, I decided to take his advice. I got to the spot, hiked down to the ocean, and happily took note of the opaque water that resembled chocolate milk. (And by happy I meant completely disappointed.) I don't know why, but I threw the lure out a few times and hooked a bunch of sea weed. On the walk back to the car I noticed little bits of tar stuck all over my legs. It must have been floating in the water. I also had tar all over the bottom of my feet. Good thing I was wearing $4 flip flops. Went back to Goleta. The water visibility had worsened and I couldn't get to the spot I went to before because the tide had risen too much. By now the sun was mid-way into the bottom quarter of the sky, so I rushed back to the car to head back to the area that was halfway decent, and... traffic. Took about an hour, but I got back to the area. Salad. Fished about 20 minutes and pulled salad off my lure the entire time. Stopped at one more place and the waves were huge, but it was my last stop so I fished anyways.

I swear I'm pretty good at surf fishing. Maybe just a bit too persistent :) I've never caught a halibut, and now I have a vendetta out for them. I will catch a halibut. I'm not giving up easily. Wingnut, maybe I could meet up with you on one of your outings? I swear you have a halibut whistle and just aren't telling anybody...

tacklejunkie
07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Keep it up. You will get it!
You have the mindset I did right before I caught my first few on the LC.
"I'm going to do it!" :Cool:

fish_sauce
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe just a bit too persistent :) .

I feel this way all the time! its an important mindset to have, because eventually it will pay off in the end...you can't win unless you play, and you can't really play unless you are mentally motivated. There will be days when not catching anything can prove to be a humbling experience...but they are nonetheless, experiences...here is a quote from former president Herbert Hoover that pretty much sums up what i'm trying to say:

"A Fisherman must be of contemplative mind, for it is often a long time between bites. Those interregnums emanate patience, reserve, and calm reflection--for no one can catch fish in anger, or in malice. He is by nature an optimist or he would not go fishing; for we are always going to have better luck in a few minutes or tomorrow...."

better luck next time bro, and thanks for the report.

gavin310
07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I feel this way all the time! its an important mindset to have, because eventually it will pay off in the end...you can't win unless you play, and you can't really play unless you are mentally motivated. There will be days when not catching anything can prove to be a humbling experience...but they are nonetheless, experiences...here is a quote from former president Herbert Hoover that pretty much sums up what i'm trying to say:

"A Fisherman must be of contemplative mind, for it is often a long time between bites. Those interregnums emanate patience, reserve, and calm reflection--for no one can catch fish in anger, or in malice. He is by nature an optimist or he would not go fishing; for we are always going to have better luck in a few minutes or tomorrow...."

better luck next time bro, and thanks for the report.

Thanks man. Great quote. I kept telling myself as I was pulling seaweed off my line: "if I quit now, it's 100% certain I won't catch anything"

Wingnut
07-28-2008, 11:54 PM
"Momma says that there will always be days like these..."

Yes, there are plenty of days when I'm in the surf fighting the waves, fighting the rip tides, fighting the wind, fighting the "all you can eat" salad bar, fighting the little voice in the back of my head asking me what the hell am I doing out here, and fighting the loss of confidence... but all that vanish in an instant when I'm fighting... the fish.

Don't be so hard on yourself Gavin. There's no such thing as a Halibut whistle. Or spots so sweet that you can continue to pull fish after fish there, week after week. If you noticed in my reports, I hit several locations in one day, just hoping that one will produce good results. I've been very lucky and I'll be the first to admit that. But if you try to meet luck half way with some hard work and getting out there and putting time in the water... you will find luck more often than not. :Wink: Going fishing with me isn't going to magically help you catch more fish. All you're going to get is a spot that might be hot one day, but dry the next. I have found that the true challenge is to find these things out on my own, trying everything and anything until I find something that works. It is lot more satisfying when you do finally succeed. :Cool: Keep at it Gavin, doesn't sound like you're doing it wrong. Just some bad timing and unlucky with the conditions. If you have specific questions and/or need my opinion on anything, send me a PM, I will try my best to address them for you. It's tough, but I try to answer all of my PMs whenever I can.

I remember one of my college professors once said "Dress for success, but the most important thing you can wear out there, is your attitude".

When I get up in the morning and head out to the surf... I don't ask myself "Am I going to catch a Halibut today...? The question I do ask myself is, "How many Halibut am I going to catch today..." :Wink:

Koshaw
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Sorry for the skunk bro..happens to all of us :(

But it does make us appreciate the full basket/sack/stringer all the more.

In Santa Barbara/Ventura...there are massive cracks in the sea bed releasing oodles of...Oil!

Black Gold! Texas Tea!

Dere's Oil in them thar beaches... and it washes ashore as tar...I went to UCSB and the beaches are nice but tarry :P

Just something to look out for.