PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Trevala rod as....

fuzzy26
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
when not jigging would a trevala rod be a decent live bait rod?

fuj
07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Could be used for that, sure. I haven't used it that way myself, but I've been on trips where guys used theirs for live bait fishing.

That Dang Guy
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
It could be done, but i wouldn't recommend it. My brothers and I bought my dad Trevala F combos for fathers day, but he rarely uses it for jigging. He's primarily a bait guy. It doesn't cast particularily well without a full swing. It side casts better than an overhead cast.

The only real other problem I see is if you do use it for jigging as well. In our shore application you're probably using a 140 or 168 gram jig with anywhere from 40-50lb flouro short topshot on 50/65 braid. That combination or line does not really fit our live bait scene. Does that mean you'll be switching out the reel depending on what you need? Or will you be switching out topshots, which would be a pain and pretty expensive.

fuzzy26
07-29-2008, 01:48 PM
i like the fact that the trevala rod is so lite. i can fish with that stick all day long and not get tired. at the sametime its strong enough to bring in yellowtails and tunas.

That Dang Guy
08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
The 20-50 is a bit on the weaker side for yellows/tuna. It's definitely more than workable, but you won't have that much power over the fish. On a charterboat, i'd go with a 30-80 or 50-100 if you're going to do it. The F's have a bit more backbone and I really like the diamond grips on them.

flopps1
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Fuzzy,

I happen to be selling one if you are interested. Exactly what you are looking for and the rod is pretty much new. Here's the add I put in the memeber classified. Pics and the specs are included.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=21210

Let me know if you are interested.