PDA

View Full Version : Twilight aboard the nautilus

rravare
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Went out on a twighlight trip aboard the nautilus out of newport. Fiahing was slow for the most part, managed one small Sand bass. Stabboard side of the boat was wide open, cut the captain couldnt manage to position the boat to share the love for the rest of the passengers. half way throught he trip it was shoulder to shoulder stabboard side with no action anyware else

Cangler
07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow .. how many where on board ?

rravare
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
only about 20and about 15 of those piled into the stabboard side near te rear it was a zoo over there

JapanRon
07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi rravare,

Shoulder to shoulder .... that oughta been fun !! So it's one shot on droppin' the hook and that's it !! No second tries ?! That's just plain wrong ... no matter how many anglers there are aboard. Don't pretend to more than the skipper but ..... Maybe the hook wouldn't hang otherwise for some reason.

I hate twilights !! Often you're getting a dead-tired crew and or relief crew that may not work the boat like the regular crew usually does.

Nautalus regular crew has a pretty good reputation from my understanding.

One fishy !?!

JapanRon

Cangler
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Good point about a tired crew , especially if they go out right after
a 3/4.

But most good captains play fair and try and put both sides on
a chance of catching at least.

rravare
07-29-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah thats waht me and my dad where saying we couldnt figure out why he couldnt spread the love to the rest of the boat. it was a very frustrating night especially because i rarely have the opportunity to go out. I usually do well on the twighlights but the normal captain im used to (dustin) wasnt there this time kind of had a bad vibe ever snese i heard he wasnt running th boat that night. oh well lesson learned..going to call ahead next time

JapanRon
07-29-2008, 01:50 PM
rravare,

Ha !! (that was said to myself .... outloud) Don't know when you found out but I can guess !! In my experience ... if you ask about who's skippering a specific open-party boat (especially during a busy season or 'overtime' periods) owned by the landing or sometimes even with a single owner/operator will not ...... NOT give you a straight answer. You'll get a 'I guess so' or 'I'm not sure', 'Haven't heard any different' ! That's generally office policy........ not the person to whom you're talking !

An exception: There may be a few and one of them is ghetto-dad !! Never known him to pussy-foot around and goes above and beyond to give the potential patron solid info. Then....... back-up his word with a phone-call .... one way or another.

I know this from a survey I did last year on landing office practices !!

JapanRon

fishraider
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
What is stabboard??? Isnt it starboard side of the boat which is the right side of the boat!!!!!!

GillyGreen
07-30-2008, 11:19 PM
If you are fishing structure it isnt the easiest thing to get a 65ft boat set up on a 15-20ft rock. I know the fish in the mud havent been biting at night and thats tough cause then it really doesnt matter. When your structure fishing, unfortunately depending on current and wind there is usually a spot where the fish are biting best. The captain can try to reset and screw it up completely. I have nothing but good words for the twilight crew on the Nautilus. They work hard and make for a fun time on the water.

mike

sullyfish
07-31-2008, 01:01 AM
I went out a few weeks ago and got the skunk on the Nautilus twilight...

BUT

The crew(Matt & Austin) worked their tails off and the Captain did his best to put us on fish.

It just was not my night

Would I go out them again - You bet!!!

sully