PDA

View Full Version : Bolsa Chica Question

bergie berg
07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey all,
I haven't done much surf fishing this summer but that probably has to do with all the kayak fishing (good problem to have!!!). Anyway I have been feeling that itch and want to get one good surf trip in before I head back to school, and I have never fished Bolsa Chica. So my question is if I hit up Bolsa Chica on tuesday morning from about 6 to 9:30 I know there will be no beach goers around but do you guys think there will be a huge crowd of surfers???

thanks for your help, Thomas

rusty6
07-27-2008, 09:45 PM
you can avoid the crowd and the money if you just go right next door to sunset beach. but if you were hoping to hit that channel, then yes there will be a s**t ton of surfers as usual.

calico killer kevin
07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
There are usually a lot less surfers on the weekdays. There are never any surfers in the channel so you dont have to worry about that. Good luck.

rusty6
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
are you joking? that channel has created a new spot and usually has a decent line up at either side. the way the bottom was dredged out in that area gives it some nice peaky waves to surf. i mean, the surfers wont be in the channel but out in the mouth of the channel.

Fisherman57
07-28-2008, 03:29 PM
It's been my experience that weekdays have less surfers than weekends in most cases at BC.....

Whats more important IMO is if the tide is optimum for fishing at the time you're planning to hit it...... looks like you might have a high tide there around 9:00AM?.... I'd fish the incoming tide up until about an hour after high tide.....be sure and read a tide chart for that area before you head out...

Cangler
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Ive seen surfers in the channel right up to the road bridge.

Ive also seen kids playing in the surf by the high end lifeguard stations
getting smashed by the surfers

megafisher94
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
ive only seen surfers in there once or twice but they were all on the other side (this was in april and a few weeks ago

ikeman
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Unless the surf is super small, which is usually much better fishing conditions, the surfers aren't in close enough for most surf fishing applications to be that much of a problem. Most surf fisherman target the perch, corbs, and halibut close to shore. Exception is the shark hunters and maybe the croaker fisherman.

As an avid surfer and fisherman, not necessarily in that order, I understand the hassles on each side of the fence. At times, each think each other is in the way. But remember, good fisherman and good surfers very rarely have issues. It's the unexperienced and rude individuals on each side that give us all a bad rap no matter if we fish, surf, or both.

Luckily, except for the summer, when everybody wants to be in the water, the prime time to hit the surf is when the wave a big. When it's on the small side, better fishing. I find most often it is the swimmers that are the biggest obstacles when fishing on a popular beach such as BC. I guess there's just too many people, huh? Have a great Summer!!!
Target the many beaches not so traveled and you might find a real gem.