PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Multiple Species

jrodda
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Since I have started surf fishing 3 years ago, the only thing that I have been able to catch are perch and yellowfin croaker. I have yet to catch a corbina, shovelnose, leopard shark, zebra perch, or anything like that for that matter. I live in the South Ventura County area, and I see all of the named species caught in the area. I have been able to catch a halibut( or 4), smoothhound and a thornback ray, but none of the others seem to bite or even be there. Is there a technique that you use to catch all these species? Most reports I see have many of these species incorporated in them. If you could tell me something I might be missing, please do tell me, because I have been dying to catch these.

Thank you,

Jeremy

Fisherman57
07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
If you want the bigger models you need to start throwing hardbaits Jeremy! As for the Leo's .. do a search on the web and see how others are fishing for them........ you'll be suprised to learn that some of the big ones come by fishing BSP's rigged a specific way.

Good old squid will get ya some SNFG's usually, just make sure you're fishing the proper gear....

Obviously certain areas hold more of certain specific species than others... so follow the reports and take note of what people are catching in what areas.....

I will say this...... I've caught more Corbina down this way than up towards Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.... (most surf anglers will agree that soft shelled sand crabs are your best bet for Corbina).....

Look up some of "Wingnuts" reports as he gives lots of great tips!

Good luck out!

GOTFISHUES
07-25-2008, 12:07 AM
good day/evening

congrats on those fish that you have landed, you will most likely get lots of great advise from all that take the time to share, if you invest the time and effort to try and mimic these tecniques, you will increase your catch #'s for sure.

the main advise i can give if you have been fishing the same way for those three years , using the same line, same size terminal tackle, etc... is maybe its time to mix it up a little, you might want to try lighter line, you would be amazed at how strong 6# is if there are no obstacles in the water, shrink the size of your swivels, not many fish can bust threw even the smallest of sizes. very important also is hook size, minimize this as far down as you can go until you start bending hook, breaking line, again etc...etc...etc..then go up a little or stop there.

if youve tried all these things then maybe you should give shuffleboard a try, j/k, keep at it, and just remember any day fishing, catching or not, is better than being home watching T.V. good luck and always remember to stay mentally posotive the whole time, frame of mind is key.

GOTFISHUES

Cangler
07-25-2008, 07:13 AM
I've caught plenty of SNGF , small Leos and other sharks on cut squid .
I use a 10ft carp rod and 20lb braid.
Try a 2 or 3oz pyramid weight and cast out beyond the breakers.

5th street north up towards McGrath is pretty good.

As for corbina , fish as light as you can and find the crab beds where
they are feeding