PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cal 7/24

MR. J
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Today was my birthday so I thought I'd treat myself to a fishing trip. Fishing has been so inconsistant andwasn't sure where to go. I could only go 1/2 day thus it cut down my options in half. I wanted to head down to the 619 because of how wide open it was for bass but it died out. Looking at the counts the pass couple days, I was not confident I would be able to go on a good trip. After much debate and sleeplessness I decided to hit the Southern Cal out of Pierpoint.

I arrived at the landing at about 5:30am. There was barely anyone there. I was the first to buy a ticket for 1/2 day. I went back to my car and rested up until 6:00am because I was tired from hardly any sleep. I grabbed my things and went tot he docks. The Victory had a real light load. I'd estimate about 20 guys. a lot of space on the boat. At this time I was still the only one standing waiting for the 1/2 day. 5 minutes later more guys show up. 6:25am we loaded up the boat. Really light load today, 14 people.

I forgot the names of the captain and crew. I was still a little tired. I wasn't paying attention to the anouncements. All I heard was that the bite is inconsistent and the skipper said to be ready for anything.

I brought three setups with me. The following pic was an after shot when I started to clean up my stuff. I had a blue/white Tady C on a cardif bass setup. and some plastics on a another cardiff ,then I had a Tady 45 in blue/white for my torium on 9ft Calstar Rod.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/dbz724/Southern%20Cal%20Fishing%20July%2024/IMG_0037.jpg

We got bait at Long Beach Bait and picked up some nice sardines. The Skipper said we'd head out to the horseshoe. Along the way we passed up some other boats just outside the harbor, looking like they were looking for cuda. We just kept on going. I wasn't exactly sure where we were but I think we were at the shoe in abot 50-70 feet or just out side of it. I think we were on a sandy bottom because there were not hang ups at all.

As for the actual fishing it was pretty much a steady pick on sand bass for the duration of the trip. the seas were flat with a current. It was like a zoo out there today with all the sea lions, cormorants, and pelicans. Some hooked into more birds than they caught fish. Most were fishing a dropper loop with a sardine. The bad thing was that most of the time the dgs would get to it before you could get to the bottom. Since that was going on I decided to throw plastics and for sure the dogs would not get to me. I never touched live bait. Everytime I would cast out I would get his but most of the time they were short bites. I ended up with limits of average size fish. It was a pretty good day on the species I wanted to target: Bass. Most of the fish were average size and there were hardly any undersized ones. There were some nice size bass caught by those using nice size sardines and able to get them to the bottom.

I think the final count for the boat was 100 Sand Bass for 14 anglers. for me I got limits all on plastics and no nice size bass like the one I caught last week on the victory on a blue/white Tady C.

My choice of plastic for the day:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/dbz724/Southern%20Cal%20Fishing%20July%2024/IMG_0033.jpg

Two of my Bass. They were pretty much all around this size.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/dbz724/Southern%20Cal%20Fishing%20July%2024/IMG_0039.jpg

final count of fish which I cleaned at home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/dbz724/Southern%20Cal%20Fishing%20July%2024/IMG_0043.jpg

fishhead
07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Thats a great boat and crew,Ryan,Collin, are the skippers Ryan,Stan are the Deckhands
nice trip Ryan said not to come this morning...that dirty #$%^&

christainmetalhead909
07-24-2008, 09:30 PM
trhanks for the report. i need to get out for some bass to bbQ

JapanRon
07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Mr. J,

Great report and pics. WTG on all the fishys. Glad to hear you're working the plastics for limits.

JapanRon

supasportkid
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
good job on your bday limits of bass. nice report