PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Trip 7/11 to 7/17

Big Country
07-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Just a quick post...

As always it was beautiful up there, especially once the smoke blew out after the weekend. This was really a family trip this time of year, but I still managed to sneak in a few days of fishing in between a trip down to the Yosemite Valley and various sightseeing adventures.

The fish was awesome, especially if you like putting little kids onto fish and watching their faces light up each time they reel one in. It seemed like you could get the standard stockers within 5 minutes of putting a line in wherever there was water.

On our first full day there, my little bro and I hit it hard and early and our efforts were rewarded at Gull Lake with a 4.5 lber and two 3 lbers that were all kept. We had 2 others hooked that were a little too much for the 2 lb leader and we ended up losing them.

In all, it was a good trip with my family along with my brother and his family. I can't wait until fall though when I get to put some serious water time in up there for the closer.

The lone photo worth posting is me and my daughter with my 4.5 lber. As the old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words", my daughter wasn't too happy about me killing the fish and needless to say, would have no part in eating it later that night.

troutslayer05
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Sweet fish brotha. Always nice to take the kids out and fish. Good work up in the sierras. Did you do any fishing in yosemite? Tight lines - slaya

chris
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
nice fish gotta love gull lake

greeper
07-23-2008, 10:46 PM
atta boy bud,,,I'll be up there in August with the wifey and kiddies.. You gonna make your fall trip this year?

Badfish2
07-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Kid in the background didn't look too happy... Nice fish though.

calico killer kevin
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Cool. Nice fish. I'm gonna be up there early august, any tips? Good fishing lakes, bad fishing lakes, hot lures?

Big Country
07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Greep - I'll be back up the weekend after Labor Day with the boys for a "wink wink" contractors meeting. Fishing & drinking. I'll definitely be up for the closer as well for 4 or 5 days in Bridgeport. I'll let you know as it gets closer.

Badfish - Like I mentioned, the look on my daughter's face was her reaction when I told her the fish was going to be for dinner. She is a catch & release girl all the way so she wasn't happy about the slaying. Her look says it all!

No, I did not fish down in Yosemite Valley. I was too busy killing myself by hiking up trails and waterfalls that someone my size has no business doing. I'm a trooper though and it was a fun family excursion.

Calico - You can't go wrong in any of the lakes or streams up there. All the standard baits work. Just remember that the prime time during the summer up there is the 1st 2 hrs and last 2 hrs of the day. Gull and Silver a both kicking out a lot of good size fish right now. I discovered a new honey hole out on Grant that I have no interest in letting anyone know about right now. I need to work it some more and see how the spot responds when the water fills back up in the fall.

Tight lines everyone!

troutdog
07-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Nice looking fish, congrats on your catch and the enjoyable trip!

TD

steve092
07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Nice trout!

calico killer kevin
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope your honey hole produces for you.

JIMMY JAM
07-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Nice fish. The look on your daughter's face is priceless!

fishrbouy
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
thanks for the post .........always great up there

boy ..... are you correct .... that picture tells a great story looking at
two totally different views of keeping that fish... hope you enjoyed it!!!!!!!!