PDA

View Full Version : MDR the worst and best day that can happen to you

vertical
07-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Went to MDR to get some saltwater fun from shore since I can't go on the moo moo cause I was spending the day with my little girl. Was set up and ready by 7:30 am and it was fish on and on and on for the first hr or so.. A spottie here a bat there a smelt or two... in short good action... was throwing back everything 'cause I really don't keep fish... (cept when the wife comes along).. My girl was practicing casting a spining rod w/o a hook, only a sinker... then she ask me to put a hook on it so she can try catch something. Then the "worst" part happens... I was using a cumara rod w/ a calcutta 250te dc reel and I put it down for an instant to reach over for the tackle box... You guessed it... something bit and pulled my rig up and over the fence... OMG!!!! It was like in slow motion as I watched my rig slowly sink to the bottom... I AM NOT HAVING ANY OF THAT!!!! I strip down to me undies... 8) ... climbed over the fence and ...yep.... I jumped in to try and get the rig back... alas ... it was a little to deep for my abilities and i broke surface with a broken heart... goodby favorite expensive rod... booo hooo hooo.... well... what do ya think.? fishing over? hell no!!! lol... since I brought 3 rigs ... lost rod or not ... we stayed and fished some more... my kid was a little upset that I lost my rod but I told her that we still have other rods to use so its ok.... (actually , WTF am I kidding... lol... its not ok... hahahah) so we fish some more, catch some more and then.. major bendo... my kid says ... "its the fish that took your rod" ... wishfull thinking... turned out to be a nice size stingray and back to the water it goes... It's a lost... I was telling myself that I should have taken the time to secure the damm thing before putting it down... Now the "best part". Along comes a scuba diver that service boats in the area... I flag him down and tell him the situation... he said the rods prolly gone... taken by the fish... I begged him to take a look and he said ok for $20... Guess what???? best $20 bucks I ever spent... he goes down for a minute or so and ...... whats he holding in his hand when he comes up??? my friggin rig!!!! you can just imagine how that must have felt....

so after that long story... the moral is:
SECURE YOUR STUFF even if its just gonna take a sec or so... you'll never know if some fish will take that expensive rig of yours...

tight lines
vertical

Sac au Lait
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
was the fish still on the rig????

shy_boxer
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the report...I was heart broken for you..lol. Wow…very fortunate you found a scuba diver to retrieve your bomba@@ setup.

My friend lost his G-Loomis GLX rod and a Diawa Sol to a largemouth fishing at the Goon. He was very upset that his $600.00 setup was taken from him by the fish gods.

cappo
07-23-2008, 02:20 PM
incredible story, glad you got your gear back.

Ricky-Ray
07-23-2008, 03:12 PM
That's a great ending to the story.

vertical
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
was the fish still on the rig????

good thing the fish was off the rig or it would have taken it to deeper waters prolly never to be seen again

doyoufishmuch
07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
nice post. haha, thats crazy. I could only imagine landing a nice fish and pullin in a cumara/calcutta rig stuck to it. WTG on gettin it back though!!

Beeracuda211
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you ever stop to think if it was the scuba guy that pulled your rod into the water from the beginning? Maybe it was a marketing scam for him to make a quick $20 bucks!!!! :ROFL:: Makes you wonder huh???:LOL:

B/c

slief
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Did you ever stop to think if it was the scuba guy that pulled your rod into the water from the beginning? Maybe it was a marketing scam for him to make a quick $20 bucks!!!! :ROFL:: Makes you wonder huh???:LOL:

B/c
:ROFL: :ROFL::ROFL:

Classic!!!

Well, I wouldnt have thought of that ^^ one but I'm glad you got your rod back! I have been there and not had the same ending.. Great story and even better ending! Great report too!

one_leg
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
As a fisherman I would have recovered it for you for nothing. While diving commercially in NP harbor a long time ago I found a ruby and diamond ring for an elderly couple. For a while I was really worried that I would not be able to find it due to there being so much sea lettuce in the area with a pretty good tidal current at the time, and that they might believe that I had just stuffed it into my wetsuit. The look on the womans face was payment enough when I came up and asked her, "Did it look like this?" They tried to give me everything they had on them at the time. $19. I said to keep it and have a nice day. It was a very,very valuable ring! She had placed her hand on the railing and it slipped off into the bay. They were so happy.

Glad you got you rod back.

O_L

fish_sauce
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
wow! what an awesome fishing story! The drama...the suspense...and the much deserved happy ending! ;)

I almost lost my gear to a bat ray at newport harbor a few years back too! The setup wasn't worth much, but for some reason i didn't think twice to jump in after it either...maybe because it was my only setup at the time, and i didn't want to stop fishing :LOL:

good call on staying there and continuing to fish despite the lost rod...could you imagine how things would have turned out had you packed up and left immediately thereafter? :/

vertical
07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
thanks for all the reply... it was indeed a good day because I got the rod back... aint gonna be using it for a couple of weeks tho... dropped it off my local tackle shop to have them ship it to shimano for service... been in the water for sometime before scuba joe pulled it out...

Wingnut
07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Man, I was totally bummed out right up to when you got it back.
That's an expensive set-up and you wouldn't be able to sleep for days if you didn't get it back. Glad the story had a happy ending. :D

lalo56
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Please excuse my ignorance you should :flamethrower: for this but what does MDR represent? Im trying to learn all the abbreviations.

otisdis
07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I believe it is Marina Del Ray

lalo56
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I believe it is Marina Del Ray

Your right. LOL. Im bad with abbriviations. I work at a hospital at Santa Monica, but dont know that abbrv...

I would rather go to oxnard though to do some fishing.

brianw
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
glad u got ur rod back , i had a similar story but different ending =(
while we were fishing at the catalina pier , we dropped something
and there was a diver right there on the spot and he asked for $100 lol..

we thought he was kidding and i said, are u kidding?
he said im serious 497_screaming_bug_ey

oh well =(

chris
07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
glad u got ur rod back , i had a similar story but different ending =(
while we were fishing at the catalina pier , we dropped something
and there was a diver right there on the spot and he asked for $100 lol..

we thought he was kidding and i said, are u kidding?
he said im serious 497_screaming_bug_ey

oh well =(

was his name dax and do you think he'd hire me

willis949
07-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I was fishing Catalina on the backside and was using a Calcutta that I caught about a year ago off the Coral Street dock in Newport.I had a birdsnest and was in the process of getting it untangled and BAM it flys out of my hand and lands about four feet from the boat.I hurried up and took my licence off and threw my glasses off and in the back of my mind Im thinking a shark just knocked a lady off a kayak a week before and before I could jump in it takes off into the kelp.Made my decision that much easier.When we were leaving the spot we told a diver where we lost it and that it was his if he found it.The rod cost me $100.00 too but Oh well.