PDA

View Full Version : Total Newb To So Cal Salt Water Needs Advise

Poxy Boggards
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey All,

Looking for some advise on good salt water locations in or close to Orange county. I've done quite a bit of salt water fishing up in Northern California, but have only done fresh down here.

I'm looking for a place where I can catch some MACs or Bonitos. Any suggestions on rigs/equipment/time of day will all be appreciated.

If anyone wants to show me the ropes, shoot me a PM. I am thinking about heading out tomorrow if I can get the day off, or Sunday.

Thanks in advance for the help! Tight Lines!

Wes
Poxy Boggards

calico killer kevin
07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Most if not all the piers around this time have macks and they are super easy to catch, but since you live in the OC I would recommend Newport, Balboa, Huntington, and Seal Beach Piers. All you have to do is buy a sabiki rig and jig away.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csbait1.htm
This is the link to my favorite sabiki rigs. If you scroll down, you will find Owner "Fish Catchers". I like the little squid looking ones. Trust me, don't cheap out and buy the crappy little cheap ones that have no flashers. Since you're going soon, you can find these at most Walmart and local tackle shops. If the bite gets kinda tough, just add little strips of squid to the hooks, but I wouldn't mess with squid unless I had to. The bottom of the sabikis will have a swivel and then a snap so you could easily attach a weight to the bottom such as this. Remember the weights need to have an eye just like the ones in the picture.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16668_100010003_100000000_100010000_100-10-3
The hooks on a sabiki are really sharp so watch out for them.

Good Luck,

Calico Killer Kevin

Fisherman57
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey Wes!

Im thinking you're in search of "catfish bait" ..... but if ya ever wanna hit the surf..... lemme know!

Poxy Boggards
07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Wes!

Im thinking you're in search of "catfish bait" ..... but if ya ever wanna hit the surf..... lemme know!

Yeah, looking to get my hands on some very fresh Catfish bait!

I would love to head out to the surf with you sometime, though I'm not sure I have the right gear. Let's set up a date/time. I'm always interested in learning new forms of fishing!

scubasteve
07-23-2008, 01:58 PM

I would love to head out to the surf with you sometime, though I'm not sure I have the right gear. Let's set up a date/time. I'm always interested in learning new forms of fishing!

If you wouldn't mind another person tagging along I would like to give the surf a try too.

Fisherman57
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM

I have gear you can borrow Wes..... I have a full schedule for the next couple of weeks... but if ya want to get together after "Legends II"......... we'll head out! Weekdays are possible as well.

If you wouldn't mind another person tagging along I would like to give the surf a try too.

The more the merrier!

scubasteve
07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I have gear you can borrow Wes..... I have a full schedule for the next couple of weeks... but if ya want to get together after "Legends II"......... we'll head out! Weekdays are possible as well.

The more the merrier!

When do you normally head out as I have a random schedule. Sometimes I work at 8A-6P, 11A-9P, or 5P-3A. My days off are usually during the week. Definately interested, Tired of just dropping bait in the water and waiting of the piers and such. I do frequent the So Cal and this is so far my favorite.

Fisherman57
07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
When do you normally head out as I have a random schedule. Sometimes I work at 8A-6P, 11A-9P, or 5P-3A. My days off are usually during the week. Definately interested, Tired of just dropping bait in the water and waiting of the piers and such. I do frequent the So Cal and this is so far my favorite.

Depends on what the tide charts read for the specific day.....
Ill be sure and send ya a PM when Im getting ready to head out again.

Sorry for my thread jack Wes! :p

Shoot Trolly a PM on the mack and bones.... he'll know a good spot.

Poxy Boggards
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
No worries at all. My schedule is pretty flexible. I can go on week days with a couple of days notice.

Poxy Boggards
07-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I ended up heading out to Newport Beach Pier on Saturday morning. I bought a couple of sabiki rigs. I tried them but didn't seem to have much luck. I ended up catching one small mack on a flylined strip of cut anchovie.

It was cool to be out on a pier again. A guy down the rail, caught a nice guitar fish, which produced an instant crowd. The piers around here get busy on the weekend! The seals made several appearances chasing baitfish.

Even though this was a learning mission, it was alot of fun to get out there on the salt.
I'll make sure to take my camera along next time and more quarters for the meter.