PDA

View Full Version : Drifting LB with Grannyfish, Mike and OFG

bruce watson
07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I was too tired on Sunday evening to do a report and real busy on Monday, so I'm late. Got a call from a friend (Oldfishergal from FNN) that she really wanted to get out and fish LB harbor on Sunday. She also called Granny and Mike. We decided to meet at the ramp at 6:30am. Both Tammy and I were late, but got there at the same time, 7am. We had our boats in the water and picking up bait within a half hour. First stop was a half mile in front of the queen's gate. Lot's of short bites and one butt a half inch short. My life's story. Too much boat traffic plus a jet ski race got us out of there. Next we headed to the west end of the center wall. Tried outside for Nada, so we moved in. Tons of little sharks. Nice fights on light line and spinning reels. After a few hours we headed over by Chaffee for some short bass action. All calicos, no sandies. Also a few hali and guitar fish bites. One of the guitar fish that OFG caught was about the biggest I've ever seen. I wonder how big they can get. Tammy even popped her cherry on her first Halibut. Short and tossed, but never the least a catch.

We finally left the water around 5pm. I've made a couple of changes on my bait tank and they seem to have worked. At the end of the day I only had less than 10 dead chovies in the bottom of the tank. That was after about 10 hours in an 8 gallon tank. I have no idea what time Mike and Tammy left. Between them and OFG, it was a fun day with great company.

For that day the water was between 63.3 to 65.7 depending on where you were. Wind was lite. We caught about 20 fish each with nothing kept. The fishing must have been bad for the moo moos. At 3 o'clock we saw the Toronado at anchor and fishing 50 yards from Nachos bait receiver.

troutdog
07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Good times out on the salt with friends, sounds like a great way to spend the day! You'll get that legal hali next time!

Fisherman57
07-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Got a call from a friend (Oldfishergal from FNN).

I thought Chris was from the midwest? :p

Nice job put there guys! Congrats Chris on the SNGF...... and Tammy on the Hali!

one_leg
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Good job on the toothy beasties.

chilibeast
07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I fished Sunday from 12 to dark and saw the Tornado fishing inside the wall too. I thought it my be a special program for kids but, maybe not. We hit some spots near bolsa and out at the Horseshoe. Some sportfishers were out there. A beautiful day! just slow fishing. We did manage to get a few sandbass and some macs. kept a mac and put the rest back.

olfishergal
07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
OlDfishergal? Had a great time drifting out there all day long. Caught tons of fish and didn't even bring one home. Musta caught at least 20....I know there were (3) sharks, 2 big guitars, lizard fish, couple bass, one ray, Bruce had that nice Hali..............1/2 inch short of legal.......he was thick and fat......tried to stretch him so could have some butt dinner, but wasn't meant to be. It was cold, cloudy in the morning. Sure was glad I had my Team 57 Hoodie to keep me warm......BTW Save G$ on the moo moo as we baited up..........How did you do G? Glad to see you. The Fishes are always fun to drift with. I know they caught lots too. Bruce it was a blast. I hope the fishing for legal size keepers picks up soon. I am in need of a fresh fish dinner. BTW< I am not old and not from the Midwest. I was found under a big ol rock at Burbank Community Hosp several years ago. I did live n the midwest during my college years (PU Perdue). Lived in Ky and Ga a couple years too, but I am a real calif native. Thanks for the great day Bruce, Mike, Tammy. Irs fun fishing with such classy peeps........till next time.....OFG

Granny Fish
07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
It was fun fishing with you both.

G$ sure was glad to see all of us. Hope his party boat had better luck than the one we seen anchored at Nachos.

JapanRon
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi bruce watson,

Good job on boatmanship, fishin', and doin' up a nice report ! Gotta love it when in the skipper mode..... doin' it all .....and then some !!

thanks,

JapanRon

sansou
07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Nice job!!

trollmiester
07-23-2008, 06:59 AM
iT SURE IS FUN WITH ALL THAT ACTIVTY CATCHING FISH. gLAD ALL HAD A GOOD TIME.

Gmoney
07-23-2008, 04:25 PM
glad you guys and gals had a good day on the water
I enjoyed seeing y'all (yes that was the highpoint of my fishing day)
congrats on the halis and monster guitarfish!!!

i should have climbed over that rail to join you. fishing was painfully slow on the moo moo. i only had time for 1/2 day so it was a 6:30 departure and we didnt leave the bait barge until 8:30. grrrrrrrrr!! we spent almost the entire time chasing a few cudas. i bet we only had lines getting wet for 90 minutes.

Im looking forward to hearing some good stories and sharing a few adult beverages with you soon.

a lil salt action on a PB looks like fun ;)

laters
G$

Trout Nine
07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
congrats to you all on a nice day of fishing
T9

bruce watson
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Go ahead Tammy, show em all the picture of your butt.

Granny Fish
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Go ahead Tammy, show em all the picture of your butt.

Bruce - I know you have been waiting for a long time to be able to say that. :rolleyes:

Rooster
07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Great report and pics as always. Props219_fisherman_fishin

ironshrimp
07-25-2008, 10:04 AM
wtg guys....like hannibal from the A-team says: "I love it when a plan comes together"

look forward to hearing more reports

and I don't know about you...personally I'd prefer to see pictures of granpa fish's butt.

Granny Fish
07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't know about you...personally I'd prefer to see pictures of granpa fish's butt.

:OMG!:
Maybe sometime soon? :Wink:

diamondbear
07-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Pictures of who's butt ?? HALIBUT , lol Bruce great report , good read and be very careful as fishing the salt is very addictive as you seem to know . Nice MIX OF FISH TO KEEP IT FUN . // db