PDA

View Full Version : Need some help planning an itenarary for east sierras.. Week long trip planning

slief
07-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Every year, I take pops on a fishing trip. After long thought, we have decided to go back to the eastern sierras. Its been a couple years since our last trip there. We are leaving on August 21st and will be there until the 28th.

We will be staying in my motorhome and have a tentative reservation at Silver lake RV resort on the June lake loop. I say tentative as the space is reserved but I have an option to cancel or change stuff up should we decide to camp elsewhere. Hookups are important though.

We will also be towing my Suburban with my 12' porta bote on top.. For those that dont know, the porta bote is a folding boat and can be set up in about 10-15 minutes. I also have a 6HP outboard for it and am thinking about taking the plunge on an electric trolling motor. We also have a set of oars. I have the fish finder as well as all the fishing gear for every circumstance. Lead core, fly rods, spinng gear etc. One of the advantages of having this boat with me is that we can get onto lakes that only allow conoes or float tubes.. This assuming the gas outboard is left in the car for those lakes. I have wheels for the boat which give us the ability to "drag" it down to the lake all set up..

The plan is 7 days of rivers and lakes. Multiple lakes in one day will also be on the agenda if they are within close proximity to eachother.
Some of the lakes that I was thinking about hitting (besides those in the June lake loop) include: Lundy, Tioga, Ellery, Rock Creek, Saddle Bag, Parker and possibly Crowley. We may also hit the Owens as well as some river/streams in the Tioga Pass area.

I am looking for some help from those in the know with putting together the ultimate 7 day itenarary.. Where would you go on which days? Are there lakes that I did not mention that you would hit? We may consider a hike in lake or 2 but my dad being 65 is not the most athletic or motivated type so I have to go easy on him. Also, any streams or rivers that you would suggest either on the way there or during our stay?

Your help as always is greatly appreciated!!

sky
07-23-2008, 12:48 AM
This is how I always hit the lakes along I-395.

I leave really early – about 2:00 a.m. on a Wednesday morning, from the Los Angeles area and pull in about 8:00 -8:30 at Rock Creek Lake. I only stay for a couple of hours because I usually get run off by the bears. Once I got stuck in the bathroom for over an hour, while a bear sniffed around outside the door. There is usually no one there on a Wednesday. The road to Rock Creek Lake may be hard on your motor home due to the steep incline.

From Rock Creek Lake, I drive up to Convict Lake, and take a spin around Convict Lake, which is usually taken over by tourist and fishermen, fishing along the shoreline. It is about a 45 minute drive further north from Rock Creek Lake. There’s a walking path around the lake, which is nice to take a short stroll around.

At around 2:00 I head up to Lake Mary in Mammoth Lakes, which is about a 30 minute drive. I always camp at Lake Mary, by the marina. It is convenient if you want to launch your boat, or just walk a few yards to the water, and there’s a bathroom nearby that has flush toilets, and running water. I have seen motor homes camped there so some sites probably have hookups. I camp at Lake Mary on Wednesday and Thursday nights – and check out Lake Mary – Twin Lakes, and Lake Mamie on Thursday. There have been a lot of bears the past few years I have been there.

From there I go to June Lakes early on Friday morning at around 6:00 a.m.. It is a 45 minute drive. I always have reservations for Friday and Saturday nights at June Lake – at the “Oh Ridge” campground. I use June Lakes as my base camp. On Friday I hit June Lake. Saturday I hit Gull and Silver Lakes which are a few miles from June Lake along the June Lake Loop. The last few times I went Grant Lake has been too windy.

Early on Sunday morning, I pack up and go to Lundy Lake further north, about a 45 minute drive. I buzz around the lake. From Lundy Lake, I go to Virginia Lake about 10 miles further north. (I no longer go to Lake Crowley, or Mono Lake.)

I hang out at Virginia Lake until about 3:00 p.m.. There are several small lakes you can take a short hike to also that has a nice walking path, but I personally wouldn’t walk with a stringer of fish in bear territory.

At 3:00 I drive north late Sunday afternoon, for about 1.5 hours, 65 miles, to Twin Lakes in Bridgeport. I stay at the forest service campground on the left I think on S. Twin Lakes Road. It’s just before you reach the first lake on the left. I like to camp right by the river. Usually everyone is leaving on Sunday, so I can find a camping spot pretty easily without reservations. There’s a small grocery store and coin laundry just further up the road a half of a mile on the right hand side. I park across the street from the lake, by the store, and throw my kayak in water.

On Monday and Tuesday morning I play around at Twin lakes, and then I head home at about noon. It takes me about 8 hours from Bridgeport to get back to the Los Angeles area. Its about 400 miles from Bridgeport to L.A.

I have been doing the same trip for about 10 years. Some people prefer to stay at one spot because they bring so much STUFF, it is a big hassle to keep unpacking and setting up camp, but I travel light. Plus, I really like to go to new places…every day actually.

slief
07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
This is how I always hit the lakes along I-395.

I leave really early – about 2:00 a.m. on a Wednesday morning, from the Los Angeles area and pull in about 8:00 -8:30 at Rock Creek Lake. I only stay for a couple of hours because I usually get run off by the bears. Once I got stuck in the bathroom for over an hour, while a bear sniffed around outside the door. There is usually no one there on a Wednesday. The road to Rock Creek Lake may be hard on your motor home due to the steep incline.

From Rock Creek Lake, I drive up to Convict Lake, and take a spin around Convict Lake, which is usually taken over by tourist and fishermen, fishing along the shoreline. It is about a 45 minute drive further north from Rock Creek Lake. There’s a walking path around the lake, which is nice to take a short stroll around.

At around 2:00 I head up to Lake Mary in Mammoth Lakes, which is about a 30 minute drive. I always camp at Lake Mary, by the marina. It is convenient if you want to launch your boat, or just walk a few yards to the water, and there’s a bathroom nearby that has flush toilets, and running water. I have seen motor homes camped there so some sites probably have hookups. I camp at Lake Mary on Wednesday and Thursday nights – and check out Lake Mary – Twin Lakes, and Lake Mamie on Thursday. There have been a lot of bears the past few years I have been there.

From there I go to June Lakes early on Friday morning at around 6:00 a.m.. It is a 45 minute drive. I always have reservations for Friday and Saturday nights at June Lake – at the “Oh Ridge” campground. I use June Lakes as my base camp. On Friday I hit June Lake. Saturday I hit Gull and Silver Lakes which are a few miles from June Lake along the June Lake Loop. The last few times I went Grant Lake has been too windy.

Early on Sunday morning, I pack up and go to Lundy Lake further north, about a 45 minute drive. I buzz around the lake. From Lundy Lake, I go to Virginia Lake about 10 miles further north. (I no longer go to Lake Crowley, or Mono Lake.)

I hang out at Virginia Lake until about 3:00 p.m.. There are several small lakes you can take a short hike to also that has a nice walking path, but I personally wouldn’t walk with a stringer of fish in bear territory.

At 3:00 I drive north late Sunday afternoon, for about 1.5 hours, 65 miles, to Twin Lakes in Bridgeport. I stay at the forest service campground on the left I think on S. Twin Lakes Road. It’s just before you reach the first lake on the left. I like to camp right by the river. Usually everyone is leaving on Sunday, so I can find a camping spot pretty easily without reservations. There’s a small grocery store and coin laundry just further up the road a half of a mile on the right hand side. I park across the street from the lake, by the store, and throw my kayak in water.

On Monday and Tuesday morning I play around at Twin lakes, and then I head home at about noon. It takes me about 8 hours from Bridgeport to get back to the Los Angeles area. Its about 400 miles from Bridgeport to L.A.

I have been doing the same trip for about 10 years. Some people prefer to stay at one spot because they bring so much STUFF, it is a big hassle to keep unpacking and setting up camp, but I travel light. Plus, I really like to go to new places…every day actually.

Sky,
Thanks a million for your detailed post!!! That was exactly what I was looking for. I was beginning to wonder if anybody would chime in. I am not sure if we will be looking to move since the coach is 39' with slides and all that stuff. It can be a pain to move and with the Suburban in tow, it will also be time consuming. I will check out some of the other lakes you mentioned as well and see how things map out using Silver lakes as the base camp. Last time we went up that way, we stayed at twin lakes by bridgeport whihc was OK but the fishing was slow.

As for bears, I dont really mind them at all. I spent a year in Montana back in the mid 80's and they were part of the day to day life. We would go out of our way to get close to them. Funny story though. A few years back, dad and I took a trip to Bisop. We did a hike to a lake above Southlake I think along a pipe line. I was way ahead of my dad and decided to hide behind a rock. As he came by, I rustled in the bushes and made a grunting noise.. You should have seen my dad's face as he began to sprint!! :ROFL:

This last week, my 11 year old son was at a YMCA camp for the week near Wrightwood. This is a TRUE story.... One night he wanted to sleep on the porch alone.. Needless to say, the next morning I get a call from the YMCA that Jordan had a close encounter with a bear. At some point during the night, he was awakened to something scrathing his head. He thought is was a racoon. When he roled over to see what it was, there was a bear standing over him. He froze and the bear wandered off for a sec and circled back around and climbed on his sleeping bag and began pawing at his pillow. At that point Jordan freaked out, through his pillow and screamed. The bear then freaked out, jumped back into a table on the porch and took off. The staff from the cabin came running out to see what was wrong. When he told them the story, they thought he had a bad dream. When they brough him in to check him out, they noticed bear slobber in his hair and a scratch on his scalp. :Shocked: There were also bear paw prints on the porch of the cabin as well as in front. I applauded it as most people never get that close to a bear in their life. Of course he is lucky on multiple accounts. Evidently, he had caught a ton of blue gill that day and did not shower so that may be why the bear was interested in him. They said he was pretty shaken up that night because of the encounter.. The next night he wanted to sleep out there again!!! Nut case. Of course they said no.

There have only been 12 bear attacks in California since like 1982. None of which were fatal if I am not mistaken and most of which were very minor. Black bears are pretty mellow and really want nothing to do with people, but they also are not afraid of us when it comes to food.

Again thanks for your detailed reply.. I will check the maps and see how your route would work out..

sky
07-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I think I heard about your son on the news on television - or a boy in a similar predicament.

Last year when I drove from Grant lake to Silver Lake, a bunch of guys were fishing along the stream which runs between the two lakes I believe.

You might want to check that spot out also.

Rush Creek: From Grant Lake Dam to Mono Lake it's an artificial lure, barbless hook, don't keep 'em area.

Silver Lake can get pretty crowded. Be sure to go to Gull Lake. I think you'll like it alot to fish and boat.

have fun!

sky

slief
07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I think I heard about your son on the news on television - or a boy in a similar predicament.

Last year when I drove from Grant lake to Silver Lake, a bunch of guys were fishing along the stream which runs between the two lakes I believe.

You might want to check that spot out also.

Rush Creek: From Grant Lake Dam to Mono Lake it's an artificial lure, barbless hook, don't keep 'em area.

Silver Lake can get pretty crowded. Be sure to go to Gull Lake. I think you'll like it alot to fish and boat.

have fun!

sky

He didnt make the news.. I dont think the YMCA would have wanted that.. Bad PR. Funny though as I just went to CNN and there was a report of a woman being mauled by a bear near Kern yesterday. I guess that needs to go onto the list of Cal bear attacks.

The stream between Grant, Silver and June can be good. I fished several years back but didnt get a thing. Others were catching though. Especially right below Grant. Will definately be checking that out as well as Rush Creek. Gull Lake will definately be one we will hit as well. Pretty much everything we catch will be released unless they are bleeders.. I have enough trout still in the freezer. No need to kill anymore.

hughpam
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you want to lake fish mostly, so Check out Sabrina West of Bishop on Line street. Also, Crowley is fun. Silver Lake is great with a boat, but other than that you have about 2,000 of your closest friends from LA with you all time. No thanks.

If you want stream or river fishing, you can't beat the tail out of Pleasant Valley Resevoir in the campground for browns.

Have a great time and bring back lots of life-long memories!!!

EMarty
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Silver Lake resort is a fine location and central to many of the lakes you mentioned. In the June loop all four lakes fish well. I suggest putting in a little time at Grant, this lake is often overlooked many fisherman. Rush creek get lot of attention so if you want a little space you may want to try Reverse Creek in the loop. You also mention Lundy, I'd recommend you go there as well. Since you had Parker on your list I'll assume you willing to hike a bit... If so the beaver ponds above Lundy will produce non-stop action for small brook trout. Drive all the way to the end of the dirt road and then a short walk up the jeep trail... look for the ponds on your left. As for Tioga, Ellery... Those lake up on top the pass have never really produce well for me, other than small fish. However, I have been lucky fishing Lee Vining creek. That creek run along the Tioga pass road. I like the big meadows just before the steep incline.

The lakes around Mammoth usually will produce some larger "Alpers" fish. Do Convict only if you have a boat. And alway spend at least one day on Crowley. I just can't image anyone would spend seven days in the sierras and not one of them at Crowley.

If you go to Rock Creek lake, use a fly and bubble either at the inlet or the opposite end by the dock... Can't miss. Also many short walk-in lake above Rock Creek lake.

Owen River is running high this time of year and air temps will be hot. If you do go here I'd use a floating Repala style lure. Just let it drift downstream near overhangs or snags, then put the real in gear and let the current work the lure awhile before you slowly retrieve.

Best of luck.

Badfish2
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Upper McGee Creek produces some huge fish, and hardly anyone fishes there. Youtube it.. you'll see some videos on it. I'd tell you about the other spots, but it seems like you've got enough to go off of already here. Hard to go wrong up in the sierras, I'm done with the numbers of fish now..only hunting the big ones. SO I stick with Grant,Gull,Convict,Rush Creek, McGee Creek,Virgina Lakes,Upper/lower Twin,Walker creek/Nevada side,Lake Sabrina at the Dingleberry inlet, Intake2,

sky
07-24-2008, 01:16 AM
[quote=slief;217754]He didnt make the news.. I dont think the YMCA would have wanted that.. Bad PR. Funny though as I just went to CNN and there was a report of a woman being mauled by a bear near Kern yesterday. I guess that needs to go onto the list of Cal bear attacks.
quote]

I knew I heard a story about a boy camping getting bit by a bear in a boyscout troup:

The state Game Commission is setting traps in Hickory Run State Park after a bear bit a 12-year-old camping with his Boy Scout troop.

The bear entered the boy's tent Sunday night and bit down on his sleeping bag, probably trying to get candy bars and cereal hidden there, but bit the boy instead, Tim Conway, a game commission spokesman, said Tuesday.
The boy was treated at Blue Mountain Health Systems' Gnaden Huetten campus in Lehighton and released.....

Read Full Story: ....http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3626041

Badfish2
07-24-2008, 01:22 AM
The further north/west you go in the sierra the more bears there are.

fishing_addict
07-24-2008, 07:08 PM
I see that someone has already made the suggestion I am about to make and that was to make sure you hit the Twin Lakes near Bridgeport. I'll be up that way the first weekend of October so I would be curious as to has things are up there currently. I already know that the lakes are nice and full, not low like they were last year. Even if you don't make the Twins sounds like it's gonna be one heck of a trip!

slief
07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
I see that someone has already made the suggestion I am about to make and that was to make sure you hit the Twin Lakes near Bridgeport. I'll be up that way the first weekend of October so I would be curious as to has things are up there currently. I already know that the lakes are nice and full, not low like they were last year. Even if you don't make the Twins sounds like it's gonna be one heck of a trip!

We did the twin lakes thing last trip to the sierras.. We stayed there for a week right on the lower lake. It was very nice there but the fishing was just so so.. We rented boats on both up and lower, fished the shore, inlets, outlets etc. Nothing to write home about as far as the bite but that was 2 years ago. I am not sure that we will head that way this year but it is possible. I am working on putting the schedule together now.