PDA

View Full Version : Kayak fishing for a noob

r!der
07-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, looking for some tips or advice here. What to get, what not to get, what to do, what not to do on the kayak. Gear essentials and just any info that pertains to kayak fishing.

Should be getting my first kayak pretty soon. Plan on hitting up local lakes, and fishing around the harbor.

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

4x4
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
r!der,

Take a look at the Cobra Fish n' Dive.
For the money, it's the best out there.
Very stable kayak for lake and ocean. It can hold up to 600 pounds. (Make sure to install couple of hatches on the kayak for storage)
On the highier end, try out the Hobie Adventure. Nice aggressive kayak. Very stable as well.

:My Two Cents:

====
4x4
:Cart:

r!der
07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
4x4 Appreciate the info! I will look into those. The Hobie seems really nice, specially with the foot pedalling system. But it's more then I want to spend just starting out. Plus, I need the upper body workout! :ROFL:

What about the Malibu Extreme fishing kayak? Anybody have one or know of someone using one? I came across what seems like a terrific deal on one of these. Just wouldnt mind picking up as much info as I can before I commit to buying it. Any feedback is appreciated!

fishtales
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I had a Malibu Extreme. Great boat. Fast, very stable, lots of storage room.

Before that I had a Wilderness Systems "Ride". That boat was more fun to paddle but slower and not much storage close at hand.

I would suggest spending some money and getting a good, lightweight carbon fiber paddle. If you buy a cheap paddle, you will wish you had spent the money on a good one. Your arms and rotator cuffs are going to feel it.

jbacsaf
07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
The extreme is made for lake fishing. It will not be as stable in the salt. I have an xfactor, and I have been happy with it. I recommend you go to the local shops and ask a lot of questions and see if they will let you test paddle a couple of different yaks. That way you can get an idea of what works for you. Good luck...

LuRkEr
07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
The extreme is made for lake fishing.

Dude, you have no clue what your talking about!!! Many a Thresher, Mako, Yellowtail,
Dorado, Halibut, Grouper, Seabass and many others have been caught on the eXtreme.
My friends and I have bagged and tagged many of those on the list...on an eXtreme.
BTW, we freedive/spearfish off of them also them also.

The X-factor is just the factories high priced fishing version of the eXtreme. Many of
the hard core yakers like to mod their own eXtreme to fit their needs for less money.

LuRkEr

paintnfish
07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
There are many kayaks to choose from, Im on my
second extreme and very happy with these boats.
thier fast and very stable, I crawl all over mine from
bow to stern and have spent many nights a mile or
two west of the harbor with a stack of hoopnets
untill the sun came up.

thier great for open water and long paddles as well
as launching from the surf and have lots of

Storage options

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/paintnfish/2005NissanAltima-rightreardoorde-62.jpg

Go see Andy at OEX in sunset beach and try one out for next to nothing.

r!der
07-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Great feedback guys. Thanks a bunch! I'm going to check out the extreme this weekend. If all goes well, I'll be taking it home and hopefully trying it out on the lake first.

paintnfish- sweet pic thanks again for the info on the extreme, hopefully I'll be able to take a similar picture in a short while. :ROFL:

r!der
07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
There are many kayaks to choose from, Im on my
second extreme and very happy with these boats.
thier fast and very stable, I crawl all over mine from
bow to stern and have spent many nights a mile or
two west of the harbor with a stack of hoopnets
untill the sun came up.

thier great for open water and long paddles as well
as launching from the surf and have lots of

Storage options

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/paintnfish/2005NissanAltima-rightreardoorde-62.jpg

Go see Andy at OEX in sunset beach and try one out for next to nothing.

BTW- do you happen to have any pictures of the complete setup? Rod holders, fish finder and such? If you do, can you post em please? Just want to see how people are setting up their kayaks.