PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach pier 7/19

Ire
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
The day started out slow for us. The tide was coming in. Space was very limited and the smell of Ruby's was intoxicating. After an hour of nothing the people on the other side of the pier began to start catching bait fish. Was watching them move closer and closer eating other peoples bait. Finally they arrived in our area. My friend Anthony caught several White croakers. Then a Jack Mackerel. Score those make great bait.

So I cut a fillet and hook it on my line, then send it to the bottom of the ocean. An hour had rolled by with not to much happening. When the patient waiting was broken my brothers line kept moving and he could not keep it where he wanted it. He tangled multiple people, so he decided to add more weight to it. From there he began to reel it up when it took off. His fishing rod bent in half. With such light tackle the fight was fairly short. I thought it would have been much longer with the size of fish he brought up. A large Thornback.

From that point it fell silent again. Then the bait fish started to come back our way. More white croaker a spot fin and grunion were caught this time. Around this time I was starting to think that I might have touched something and the fish could smell it and left my line alone.

Then the next Migration of fish came by, I was getting small nibbles but nothing would pick up, sigh. Then I notice my pole with Jack Mackerel is getting hit. So I let it sit to eat my bait. The my reel peels out. I pick it up turn off the clicker and set the hook. At this point a large crowd began to form around me. At the time I didn't notice after all I was fishing and fighting one at that point. After a short battle I caught a Shovel nose Guitarfish.
Pic to come later

Fish Totals.
Anthony:
5 Grunion
2 White Croaker
1 Spot fin Croaker
1 Jack Mackerel
My brother:
1 large thornback
Steve:0 fish for the day(Poor Steve)
Me:
1 Shovel nose Guitarfish.

Ire
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I forgot how bloody this one got. After I went to clean my self off people looked at me like I had just murdered someone. I was very amused. Sorry for the late pic I have been busy the last few days.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/carnageratedx/07-19-08_1954.jpg

Wingnut
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Ruby's... yummy! Sounds like a nice day on the pier, thanks for the report. :cool:

Hate2Fish
07-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Love Ruby's

chris
07-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Ruby's is great but it always tastes like fish bait. (i can't not bait up while i wait for it to be ready)

Ire
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I know what you mean. Even my hot coco smelled like bait. Still tasted great!

YANKEES4LIFE
07-27-2008, 11:44 PM
nice report might be going out there next saturday or the sat after that maybe we can meet up ire?

E

Ire
07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't mind so much but my friends were really talking up surf fishing Newport or Balboa this weekend. Next time I talk to them I will let you know.