PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Peir - couple questions

Ulua1
07-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Been doing some night fishing at Santa Monica Peir and was just thinking, what if I landed a big one, how would I bring this up on the peir without snapping my line? So, with that said, I had no conclusions as I have been searching high and low for a tool we used to use while fishing big ridges in Hawaii which its called a slide gaf and have not found any and have not seen any used while fishing.
Can anyone tell me how people bring up big catches at a very high peir such as Santa Monica? Do they use something similar to a crab net or something to heave their catches out of the water? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Also was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal to drop crab nets off of the peir?
Thanks in advance!

lalo56
07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Santa Monica is one of the dirtiest waters there is. I would never fish there specially to eat the fish.

JSAUCE818
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I seen people mostly use hoop nets. Unless you use a spear gun and shoot it from up top.....lol...jk.. And yes, hoop nets are allowed at santa monica pier, seen people pull out dozens of crabs and lobsters(when its the season)

4x4
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey Ulua1,

I wouldn't eat anything that comes out of Santa Monica Bay.
But to answer one of your question, there is something called a "pier gaff" sold at Turners. It's bascially a weight, with three huge hooks. You will tie a string through the loop of the weight.
Make sure you are planning to keep what you are going to gaff.
Hope this helps.

====
4x4
:Cart:

Ulua1
07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Its a good thing I haven't taken anything home to eat from there, hows the cleanliness at Marina Del Rey? Seen people taking home fish from there but its kinda close to Santa Monica so I coule imagine its pretty dirty too but just want to make sure.

r!der
07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Hey Ulua1,

But to answer one of your question, there is something called a "pier gaff" sold at Turners. It's bascially a weight, with three huge hooks. You will tie a string through the loop of the weight.
Make sure you are planning to keep what you are going to gaff.
Hope this helps.

====
4x4
:Cart:

WHAT?! You mean you can't gaff and release?

calico killer kevin
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
WHAT?! You mean you can't gaff and release?

When you gaff a fish you basically stab the hell out of it.

r!der
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
When you gaff a fish you basically stab the hell out of it.

LOL
I was kidding!