PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Convict

IK13
07-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm going to Convict this weekend. Never been there before.
How's the camping? I remember someone telling that it sucked, but I don't remember why...
Any recommendations?

We'll be a group of several adults with kids, dogs etc., so it'll probably edn up to be a more of a family and friends trip than hardcore fishing and I'd rather trade a little gas for a nicer place to camp if that's an option...

watermmike
07-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I have camped at Convict Lake six or seven times and have always had a good time. The only problem I have had is the wind. It gets very windy there. Once it was so bad we left when we thought the tent trailer was going to be blown over. We have been there and had, in a three hour period, sun, wind, rain, hail, snow then back to sun. Good luck, I hope this helped.

jmurillo74
07-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Camped @ Convict once. It wasn't bad at all. A little warmer than Mammoth Lakes Basin and the wind can pick up. We had to sleep in the car on the last night because the wind pulled up the tent stakes.

Badfish2
07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Yep, camping at convict does suck. It does get very windy, but not so much this time of year. Biggest problem I'd see is the traffic noise from all the cars headed to the lake. Other than that, the creek has awesome fishing and it's right there in the campground. It's all a matter of how picky you are about where you camp. I'd camp up in Rock Creek Canyon before Convict..and you're just a short drive to convict from there.

IK13
07-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Camped @ Convict once. It wasn't bad at all. A little warmer than Mammoth Lakes Basin and the wind can pick up. We had to sleep in the car on the last night because the wind pulled up the tent stakes.

If you had to sleep in the car because the wind pulled up the tent stakes...I'd say that's bad :).

sky
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Huh????

How did the wind pull the stakes out of the ground when you were in the tent?

:confused:

Dean Wormer
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd camp at Lake George or one of the other Basin lakes.

That way. there's fishin' right at your doorstep and also you can fish til' it's dark and then walk right back to camp. No drivin' at all....

Plus, Convict is a just short drive away and we always hit it a couple of times while staying at Mammoth.

Good luck....

jmurillo74
07-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Huh????

How did the wind pull the stakes out of the ground when you were in the tent?

:confused:

I don't know? Tent stakes vs. 40+ mph winds, you do the math. If my wife and I hadn't been in there sleeping the tent would have been completley blown over. All I am saying is I would probably camp at another campground before camping at Convict, but if it is your only choice vs. not going at all, I would camp there again. Another piece of advice, get up there no later than Thursday morning if you want to get a campsite for the weekend on any given weekend of the summer. Have fun and good luck fishing..

Simplyeman
07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I dunno how true this is but when i went snowboarding last winter i stayed at convict in one of their cabins and the owner told me all the camp sites are booked through the summer........dunno how true that is.

jmurillo74
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I dunno how true this is but when i went snowboarding last winter i stayed at convict in one of their cabins and the owner told me all the camp sites are booked through the summer........dunno how true that is.

You can't book campsites at Convict Lake, it is on a first come first serve basis. He was probably talking about the cabins.

Simplyeman
07-22-2008, 11:11 PM
oh ok, cool thanks for the info.