PDA

View Full Version : camping at Intake II

fullstringer
07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
What's the skinny on staying there,Reservations needed? adventure pass,weather conditions, firewood,fishing.Taking my daughter and her friends going Aug 1-3.

Fullstringer

Badfish2
07-21-2008, 04:01 AM
no reservations needed to camp at Intake 2.. but there are not many spots and it's usually full on the weekends. IF you get there Thursday, you might be able to score a spot. Camping at intake 2 sucks anyway..it's always busy with people trampling through your campsite to get to spots on the lake...and it's not very nice in general anyway, Head up the road, and the first campground on the right side of the road past Intake 2 is the spot. Sabrina campground is probably the best over all in the canyon, but like intake 2 and others.. it fills up fast because it doesn't have many spots. I think in Bishop Creek canyon, you can only reserve at Four Jeffery.. check the us forest service website... they have it all listed out. You can buy firewood at the Cardinal Village store which is a small town on the way up the hill ..it's actually further up the road from intake 2 ..but you'll see the cut off. Weather changes fast, bring clothes for all weather. Cold,hot etc...

Fishing at Intake 2 is usually very good. Crowded though because it's easy access right off the highway. Best spots if you're shore fishing is along the cement dam nearest the bouy line or that pipe with the water coming out of it. I prefer the bouyline. Another great spot, but tough shore access is the inlet.. but it's best if you have a float tube to hit that spot. The north side (Side where the main trail/parking lot is) is usually crowded and it's shallow on that side. There's a gully on the south side of the lake that the creek has carved out over the years.. I've seen the lake drained a few times so I know it's there.

Use Thomas Bouyants in a gold red pattern like my avatar picture or try watermelon.. pretty much any Thomas bouyant will get you fish there... I also had luck with the Bubble/ Crappie jig combo in smoke color. Power bait in yellow has always done the best at Intake 2... fish early, that lake gets hot in middle summer... also, try using those bouyants right at sunset as the sun is going down. It's crazy good.

lalo56
07-21-2008, 07:03 AM
We went the weekend after father's day. We camped by Bishop Creek Lodge and drove to the intake II. You do not require an adventure pass only if you are going up to Sabrina. We reached our limit the days we fished. We found the best spot was by the inlet at the little island. You need to cross the stream to access it. At that time they were bitting on nightcrawlers.

Cant wait to go again next year.

Granny Fish
07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Bring strong insect repellent and lots of it. The skeeters are tenatious! ;)

lalo56
07-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Bring strong insect repellent and lots of it. The skeeters are tenatious! ;)

Oh yeah! No kidding. I came back with soo many bug bites.

fullstringer
07-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys,I want to make sure they have fun and get on some fish.

Fullstringer

Badfish2
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh don't worry, you'll hook up. Intake 2 is pretty good

fatherof5
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Let us know how it goes. My kids are begging to go to the area, and I'm curious about it myself. It has been years since I've gone up there. Good luck.

Badfish2
08-06-2008, 04:09 AM
so how'd it go?

fullstringer
08-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Arrived early Sunday morning in Bishop and fished from East line to Warm springs caught dinks the water color was brown and level was high.Headed up to intake II and camped at the sight above intake II. The camp host informed that the stream had not been stocked since the mud slides.So we fished intake II monday morning fish where being caught but not by me I was taking care of my daughter and her friend (girly girls) bite slowed by 10am.Weather was nice some sprinkles late night Sunday and Monday.Packed up Tuesday and was saying good-bye to friends and as we leave the fish truck arrives they stocked the back of the stream,middle of campsite and then across the road.Still had a good time.

Fullstringer

lalo56
08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah! Bishop is always a good time. Sorry you didnt catch nice fish. There is always a next time. Camping is always fun.

Badfish2
08-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Arrived early Sunday morning in Bishop and fished from East line to Warm springs caught dinks the water color was brown and level was high.Headed up to intake II and camped at the sight above intake II. The camp host informed that the stream had not been stocked since the mud slides.So we fished intake II monday morning fish where being caught but not by me I was taking care of my daughter and her friend (girly girls) bite slowed by 10am.Weather was nice some sprinkles late night Sunday and Monday.Packed up Tuesday and was saying good-bye to friends and as we leave the fish truck arrives they stocked the back of the stream,middle of campsite and then across the road.Still had a good time.

Fullstringer

awe man, that blows. Next time head down to the owens right after dark, throw fire tiger thomas bouyants or some flys on the surface.. you'll get hit. Sabrina is usually a surefire limit.. I've had a few 100+ fish days at sabrina